Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Snare Science has been needing this topic for a while, so here it is. I'll be adding more and editing the original posts all throughout today.

Have you ever wanted to march DCI, DCA, or WGI, but you "complained" that you couldn't due to money issues? Can't pay for the camps or the tour fees? Are you just bummed out about that fact? Wellll....you don't have to be, ever. There are multiple ways to come up with money, that a lot of people overlook.

The first of course is fundraising. Fundraising is a GREAT way to raise money. Some corps or indoor lines have fundraising ideas set up through the organization, just as a march-a-thon, bowl-a-thon, raffling items, selling magazine subscriptions, you name it. So the first thing you should do is talk to the director and your respective caption head of the organization. Find out whether or not your organization has any fundraisers set up. If not, then suggest that they do. Hey, even car washes will work. Anything to raise money, right?

The second thing is something some people don't feel comfortable doing. However, if you REALLY wanna march, you'll do it. It's asking for donatations from people. Im not talking complete strangers or anything. Ask all your family and all your friends, and I mean ALL. Send out letters (those work GREAT) to everyone, call people, anything. Even if someone gives you $1.00, thats $1.00 less that YOU have to pay out your pocket, so take it. Say your tour dues are $2600.00. If you get 200 people to put in $12.50, there you go! Bam! $12.50! It's just THAT easy! And, if you try, I bet you can find 200 people. And most people wil be willing to give you a little bit of money, after you explain what its about. So send them a letter or phone call, and explain what DCI/DCA/WGI (whichever your doing) is, and where their money is going. It will usually work. A great thing to do is ask people whove marched corps. I wouldn't suggest asking some marching this season, put people who have aged out will usually give a few bucks to help. Heck, from a family friend this past season (turns out he marched 2 years of blue raiders, then phantom for 4-5 years bassline, then aged out with blue raiders) gave me $200.00 this past season. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. All because I asked him, and told him about the organization. Ever heard the saying "you'll never know until you try"? It prefectly applies here.

Third; ask for sponserships from companies. If your endorsed by anyone, say sabian or something, send them a letter! Again explain what it is, and that any monetary donatation would be beneficial. If your family works for or owns a buisness, ask em. Anyone in your family with connections can hook you up. I know people that have COMPLETELY paid their dues, just by asked a company to sponser them.

And fourth would be YOU fundraising/working yourself. You could go mow a few lawns maybe, get a couple bucks. Or sell a product, much like people sell cookie dough. There are many ways to fundraise, be creative!

With all this in mind, I'm sure you can think of some ways to raise money for dues. Many, many staff and members of DCI corps have said "Money is NEVER an issue". And really, however much you argue, its not. I just gave you multiple ways you can raise money, so better come up with a better excuse. Where there's a will, there's a way. Think about it. If you marched Corps, you'd be putting in 110% all summer long. Why not give that 110% now? You can raise the money. I personally know many people who never had to put in a PENNY for drum corps. And howd they raise the money? Fundraising, sending out letters asking for donatations, EVERYTHING that I mentioned here. Two such examples are the Mulherin twins from Memphis, TN. They both raised ALL their dues (which, between the two of them, was AT LEAST $5200.00). And, they had money left over for spending money for the summer! So really, there is absolutely NO time when the "money excuse" is acceptable.

For everyone who has read this, I hope it helps. Think about all of this. Spend some time brainstorming, you can think of ways to raise money I'm sure. I hope to see each and every one of you on the road and on the feild this summer.

If anyone has any other ideas or ways to raise money, go ahead and post them. Feel free to dicuss these ideas as well.

Say your tour dues are $2600.00. If you get 200 people to put in $12.50, there you go! Bam! $12.50! It's just THAT easy! And, if you try, I bet you can find 200 people.

EDITS:
Some corps have a thing set up where if you write a check out to a certain group (Ex. MYPPA), then you get tax return, or something. wasn't sure how it worked, but you mention that, and people wanna give more money. So contact the director about that too, one of Mel's post reminded me.
Some corps have "scholarship" options. Ex. You enter a letter saying what being in the corps and marching means to you. You win, you get 1000 off your dues! DCI also has these scholarship options available, as do some organizations. ENTER ANY AND ALL OF THESE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO. Getting ANY money off your dues should excite you, right? So, whats thw worst that can happen? You write a nice little essay, and don't get picked. On the other hand, you could get BIG money off your dues. It's worth the 20 minutes.

If you have a facebook, and this group. If not, check it out anyway. It has a lot more ideas on it.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 937&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wturner901 says: You can send letters to local government officials. It works brilliantly, as if they donate to a nonprofit organization that deals with "The Arts", they can say they support the education of art in young people. (DOES NOT WORK FOR DCA LOL) I know a few people that were ballsy enough to do it. I think they got like $100 from different people, each. This was local government. (Mayor, State Congress, etc.). I wouldn't advise sending a letter to Obama.
Hosting a garage sale will get you a bit more than 12.50, by the way. You can pile up all the useless crap around your house and probably get at least $300.

bltsponge says: To add to the asking friends for donations thought: If the corps you wanna march has an alumni organization, try asking there. I know the Cabs alumni has been very helpful for younger people in the competing corps who needed the money to march. I'm sure other corps' alumni are helpful as well.
Last edited by Memphonian on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
H.S. Band, Drum Corps Band. Band.

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Wanna march DCI/DCA/WGI, but no money? NOT AN ISSUE!!

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Add in the fact that you can send letters to local government officials. It works brilliantly, as if they donate to a nonprofit organization that deals with "The Arts", they can say they support the education of art in young people. (DOES NOT WORK FOR DCA LOL)

I know a few people that were ballsy enough to do it. I think they got like $100 from different people, each.

This was local government. (Mayor, State Congress, etc.). I wouldn't advise sending a letter to Obama.
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Hosting a garage sale will get you a bit more than 12.50, by the way. You can pile up all the useless crap around your house and probably get at least $300. (GOLD IS ALMOST PAID FOR, YES!)

And to have a garage sale, GO TO YOUR GRANDPARENTS. They probably lived during the Great Depression, and are pack rats. Ask if you can sell some things for tour money. I'm sure they'll give you some things. It only clears space in their houses.
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Thank you for making this Justin. I'm sure I can get the money now. With my tax return being x amount of money plus kids in band donating, I can get enough.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Request to be stickied.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colonial snare Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks man!!!!

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 pm

No problem man.

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:09 pm

JLbluefan09 wrote:Request to be stickied.
This.

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 pm

This is a great guide. I'd sticky it, if I had the powers.

HINT HINT. :|
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm

haha Glenn, but your a mod....? confusing me much? Yes.

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 pm

To add to the asking friends for donations thought: If the corps you wanna march has an alumni organization, try asking there. I know the Cabs alumni has been very helpful for younger people in the competing corps who needed the money to march. I'm sure other corps' alumni are helpful as well.
Q

honda50r Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Sounds like an informercial, lol. But seriously this is helpful, thanks.

Snebasseor Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:42 pm

I felt slapped in the face and woken up, this is the best thing I have ever seen on this site. Thanks a ton, I'm confident that I can march winter for sure next season now.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Snebasseor wrote:I felt slapped in the face and woken up, this is the best thing I have ever seen on this site. Thanks a ton, I'm confident that I can march winter for sure next season now.
Good. thats what this thread is for, glad it could help.

AWA Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Location: West Deptford, New Jersey, The United States of America, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Memphonian wrote:haha Glenn, but your a mod....? confusing me much? Yes.
Somehow I don't have the ability to sticky topics. It's the only thing I can't do.
2007 - 2010: West Deptford High School (07-08 FE, 09-10 quads)
2013: Spirit of Atlanta (Marimba)
2014: Bluecoats (Vibraphone)

-Glenn Dawson

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:21 pm

AWA wrote:
Memphonian wrote:haha Glenn, but your a mod....? confusing me much? Yes.
Somehow I don't have the ability to sticky topics. It's the only thing I can't do.
Maybe thats a ryan only thing? hmmmmm...

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:44 pm

How would I go about sending letters to my local government officials.?
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Ivan_Tenors13 wrote:How would I go about sending letters to my local government officials.?
Find they're address (to their offices), and send them a letter! Basically the same as letters to friends, but more formal. Explain what the activity is, why its important to you, all that jazz

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Memphonian wrote:
Ivan_Tenors13 wrote:How would I go about sending letters to my local government officials.?
Find they're address (to their offices), and send them a letter! Basically the same as letters to friends, but more formal. Explain what the activity is, why its important to you, all that jazz

What I was trying to say was how do I get their contact information.?
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line

Flammin5s Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Snebasseor wrote:I felt slapped in the face and woken up, this is the best thing I have ever seen on this site. Thanks a ton, I'm confident that I can march winter for sure next season now.

Flammin5s Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 pm

This Thread is what this site is about!
Thank you for this Justin.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Ivan_Tenors13 wrote:
Memphonian wrote:

What I was trying to say was how do I get their contact information.?
The internet is a great resource. ha, just research your local community on goole, and try and find something with the people in charge. Like Will said, mayors, and all that stuff. Some will donate, some won't. Just depends on the person.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Flammin5s wrote:This Thread is what this site is about!
Thank you for this Justin.
Your welcome Caleb. I figured it was time.

quitwhining8sarefun Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 pm

I got all of my money for WGI from donations.

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm

quitwhining8sarefun wrote:I got all of my money for WGI from donations.
There you go man! See, it can be done! :) Congrats on that.