Wgi bass questions

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TripleBasshead Offline
noob
noob

Wgi bass questions

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Hey guys! I'm just graduating high school as a bass drummer and really looking to continue that in college with wgi. Im in Michigan so my dream line is Northcoast academy but of course I'm also looking to audition for other lines like MCP and ferndale.

I guess what it comes down to is, what should I be focusing on in the upcoming months before audition season?

How important is being able to play advanced rudimebtal things like a flam 5 grid on a bass? Stuff that I wouldn't have seen in my high school line (we played open class level music, hardest thing I've seen is split 32nds with two notes each).

Also how do auditions work exactly? At my high school we auditioned for the bass line in general and our instructor first looked at our ability to carry the drum (bigger guys on low drums, shorter girls on high drums etc) and then looked at playing ability from the 5 he picked from there. Are wgi lines similar or do you audition for a specific drum?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot and it's a little scrambled but I'd really appreciate some insight into this and thank you to anyone who can!

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Wgi bass questions

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 am

I don't think you'll have to worry about anything super rudimentally advanced, like flam 5 grids, but depending on which drum you'd like to play I'd definitely recommend working on splitting while marking time. I'd look through the snarescience transcription library and look at different WGI parts (although I'll be honest there probably aren't too many), pick out the part of the drum you'd like to play, and try to read through it while marking time. Getting your feet comfortable with syncopated parts will be one of the most important things.

As for how auditions will work, I'm no expert but I'm almost certain you go to the experience camps and try out for a certain drum, not just try out for bass and then have your drum chosen for you. I don't know for sure though, my only experience with camps is on snare.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

wesleykg00 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:24 pm

But make sure you practice all the bass parts. Not just one drum.
CMK Bass 3 (2015)

markfoster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:31 am

Because NCA is a world class group, you're going to want to become familiar with split singles and possibly hand to hands. I would recommend that you check out the youtube channel The Bass Drum Group. The videos are really great resources. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0DdmaDuU9ssiAeRo1IV8dw
DeKalb High School 2013-2017
Indiana University 2017-2018

gbenderk Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:51 am

Hey there. I marched with the Northcoast bassline for 4 years between 2011 and 2015 (missed 2012... I know, I know). Shoot me a private message, I'm more than happy to chat with you in more detail about Northcoast and how the bass section does things, answer more questions, etc.