Raiders, Jersey Surf, or Cadets2???

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Quadpower101 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Raiders, Jersey Surf, or Cadets2???

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 pm

I am a freshman in college, and I've been wanting to audition for drum corps this year. It'll be my first summer marching somewhere, so I don't want to jump into anything too intense yet. I play quads, and my dream corps is definitely Bluecoats, but before I auditioned there, I wanted to try to get some experience under my belt first. I was thinking Jersey Surf, Raiders, or Cadets2. Jersey Surf because I think it would be a good way to get a feeling of how much is involved in marching world class, but it's pretty pricey. Raiders because it'd still be a good way to experience a DCI tour, even though it's different, as well as less pricey. Cadets2 because it'd still be a good learning experience, but obviously it'd only be weekends, and it's also the furthest from where I live, which is central NJ. I was just wondering, if I wanted to learn more and get a good experience to prepare myself for a Bluecoats audition next year, would any of these be a good place to start?

Also, say I ended up marching Raiders. Would I have to time work a summer job? I'm not sure how much different an open class schedule is to a world class one.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Raiders, Jersey Surf, or Cadets2???

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:30 pm

>Would I have to time work a summer job?

It depends on when spring training starts for you all and when you get out of school. A lot of open class groups don't move in until some time in June. This is something you should inquire about for each group then you can make a decision. Ask about their schedules if you can't find them online. Most world class groups move in around mid-May, which is right after most schools break for summer.

>would any of these be a good place to start?

Literally any corps is a good place to start. If you're looking to step up in later seasons, marching with any group definitely beats sitting at home.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

BanditKir Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Raiders, Jersey Surf, or Cadets2???

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 am

I think these are all good options and I think you already have a good understanding of the differences between them. Other than that I think each of those groups have pretty different styles in their approach to writing and show design, so I would think about which one fits you more.

As far as which one will prepare you for a Bluecoats audition more, they will all get you closer. You will come out a better player regardless. But no program will automatically prepare you for the next level. So much is on how hard you work every day at rehearsal and take the instruction you're given and master it. All of the great players I've seen come out of any of these programs were people who would have become great players anywhere. They are sponges of information and the hardest workers I've ever seen.