WGI Zone Taken Down

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TheIronChicken Offline
noob
noob

WGI Zone Taken Down

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 pm

wgizone.com

I swear copyright will be the death of this activity
AHS Band 2013- Synth
AHS IDL 2014- Vibraphone
HHS Band 2014- Snare
HHS Band 2015- Center Snare
WGI Independent Open 2016- Vibraphone
IIHS Top Safety Pick 2115

Cpowers14 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: WGI Zone Taken Down

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:02 pm

I want to die
BMCHS
Snare '14
Center Snare '15-'16

Rosie O'Grady's Highlanders Pipe Band
Snare '16

INFINITY 2
Visual Ensemble '17

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 pm

The law is what the law is.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

Cpowers14 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:39 am

Excuse my opinion and language but this is utter *beep*. What kind of stupid law allows an organization other than WGI dictate what they do with their content? I'm sure I have no idea what the hell Im talking about but wouldn't that violate an independent organization like WGIs right to distribute their content however they desire? Wgi zone was not hurting anyone, in fact, it was the reason why people like me could get into indoor percussion. I'm not happy at all :evil:
BMCHS
Snare '14
Center Snare '15-'16

Snare '16

INFINITY 2
Visual Ensemble '17

billc36 Offline

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:04 pm

Cpowers14 wrote:Excuse my opinion and language but this is utter *beep*. What kind of stupid law allows an organization other than WGI dictate what they do with their content? I'm sure I have no idea what the hell Im talking about but wouldn't that violate an independent organization like WGIs right to distribute their content however they desire? Wgi zone was not hurting anyone, in fact, it was the reason why people like me could get into indoor percussion. I'm not happy at all :evil:
WGI can do whatever they want with content that is theirs and not arrangements of someone else's works. The problem is that most shows aren't all original music and permission to arrange and synch rights must be obtained. permission to arrange is far easier to acquire than synch rights (producing media for distribution that is music and visual as one).

Like it or not, the publishing company holds all the cards as to whether video content is released or not. Some will allow it, some will allow it but charge a fee, others larger fees and some flat out deny synch rights unless WGI is willing to pay HUGE sums of money.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

Cpowers14 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 am

billc36 wrote:
Cpowers14 wrote:Excuse my opinion and language but this is utter *beep*. What kind of stupid law allows an organization other than WGI dictate what they do with their content? I'm sure I have no idea what the hell Im talking about but wouldn't that violate an independent organization like WGIs right to distribute their content however they desire? Wgi zone was not hurting anyone, in fact, it was the reason why people like me could get into indoor percussion. I'm not happy at all :evil:
WGI can do whatever they want with content that is theirs and not arrangements of someone else's works. The problem is that most shows aren't all original music and permission to arrange and synch rights must be obtained. permission to arrange is far easier to acquire than synch rights (producing media for distribution that is music and visual as one).

Like it or not, the publishing company holds all the cards as to whether video content is released or not. Some will allow it, some will allow it but charge a fee, others larger fees and some flat out deny synch rights unless WGI is willing to pay HUGE sums of money.
I understand now it's just don't like how they have been providing video for two years and all of the sudden it's all like "nope. Sorry, you gotta stop too bad for you" :(
BMCHS
Snare '14
Center Snare '15-'16

Snare '16

INFINITY 2
Visual Ensemble '17

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:25 pm

They were skirting the law with the free videos. Better to take it down than to have some publisher come after them guns blazing and nail them hard.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:00 pm

billc36 wrote:They were skirting the law with the free videos. Better to take it down than to have some publisher come after them guns blazing and nail them hard.
Right. I'm very much on the outside of this, but I'd speculate that WGI/the groups get permission to do live performances and DVD recordings of arranged pieces, but explicitly rights for streaming. Recently, people (or record companies) started caring quite a bit about streaming rights, so I'm sure there's no way they'll be giving them out for free or turning a blind eye towards it anymore.

Like I said, the law is the law. It's the price we pay to live in an orderly society.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
billc36 wrote:They were skirting the law with the free videos. Better to take it down than to have some publisher come after them guns blazing and nail them hard.
Right. I'm very much on the outside of this, but I'd speculate that WGI/the groups get permission to do live performances and DVD recordings of arranged pieces, but explicitly rights for streaming. Recently, people (or record companies) started caring quite a bit about streaming rights, so I'm sure there's no way they'll be giving them out for free or turning a blind eye towards it anymore.

Like I said, the law is the law. It's the price we pay to live in an orderly society.
I'm pretty sure they aren't even doing DVD's anymore, as past seasons' dvds are no longer for sale.
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:02 pm

KJennings wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they aren't even doing DVD's anymore, as past seasons' dvds are no longer for sale.
Well, crap. I smell lawyers.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP