Skinny Quad player, But AMAZING hands

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

breneman Offline
noob
noob

Skinny Quad player, But AMAZING hands

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:50 am

I am going to keep this short and to the point. I am a sophomore in High School as of 12/25/2015, and want to march quads for the Bluecoats. I can play through all of their music without hitting any rim, but I am kind of skinny. I can definitely march quads, but I don't want to get cut for being too skinny. What do I do?

breneman Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:55 am

And forgot to mention, up to/ beyond given tempo. I can also learn music fairly quickly.

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:35 am

breneman wrote:And forgot to mention, up to/ beyond given tempo. I can also learn music fairly quickly.

There have been plenty of skinny quad players over the years. They're not going to cut you for that. They will cut you if they find out you can't move well, or can't hold the drums up. The best thing you can do to make sure that you don't run in to that problem is to show up strong enough to move as well as you say you can play.

That being said, being able to play their notes up to speed will have very little bearing on whether or not you make the line. They'll be looking for a specific technique, sound and approach, and that will come first. You can play all the notes you want, but if you can't play simple things with the sound they're after, none of those notes will matter.

breneman Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks for the tip. Now I know what to work on. Thank you

poofypuffs Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm a really thin but 5'11' guy who marched quads in high school and college. You can build the muscle and march fine. The biggest pain for me starting out with quads was cardio. I think you'll find that if you're in good cardio shape from the beginning, before you start marching for longer periods, things will go a lot more smoothly (in other words, less torture =P). I would start with a couch-to-5k running thing or something like that.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Skinny Quad player, But AMAZING hands

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Everything said above applies. With regard to technique, I really think for quads the way you carry the instrument affects your technique a helluva a lot. Having the strength to stand with posture, not bounce the drum while marking time, and not wobble while marching (especially laterally) are key to actually playing while. These are things that bigger guys (and gals) are naturally advantaged with, but it doesn't mean they're not achievable for skinny dudes (I was a 6 foot, 125 lb fifteen year old when I started playing quads).

Bottom line: don't give them anything to worry about, and they won't worry about it.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

andmcc Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Being skinny will never get you cut. It's a matter of whether you can look good and play well.
Leander HS - 2012 - timpani
Leander HS - 2013 - tenors
Leander HS - 2014 - tenors
Guardians DBC - 2014 - tenors
Genesis DBC - 2015 - tenors
Leander HS 2015 - tenors

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Re: Skinny Quad player, But AMAZING hands

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:24 pm

If you can march well and have amazing hands, you'll be fine. If you can't march well and have amazing hands, then you can probably afford cut down on drum practice and start working out instead.
Sure they look at hands first, but if you don't look good on your feet, it won't matter how good you can play.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage