shame in switching to a "easier" instrument?

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

itmyfault6 Offline
noob
noob

shame in switching to a "easier" instrument?

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Ive been playing snare for the past 5 years, but I have been considering moving into the pit(rack) because of a focus on my academics and focusing on other parts of the activities rather than just the performance aspect. However, I feel like the staff and members around me, especially in the battery side of the activity would shame me because I am wimping out, any advice?

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: shame in switching to a "easier" instrument?

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:49 am

Since when was pit "easier?"

If you want easy, go play soccer.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:45 pm

schorsquatch wrote:Since when was pit "easier?"
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:06 pm

in certain cases pit is easier, auxiliary is obviously easier than snare, but as long as you you know what you are doing in the pit and are doing what you feel is best for you, do it.
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 am

In certain other cases, snare is easier.
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

DrummerOf2012 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 am

My thoughts are that whatever instrument you decide to do, the time commitment is pretty much the same. Now if you're not willing to put forth the effort to practice the snare book at home, then that's a different story. Think about what you do after school everyday. You don't have to tell anybody but I would be willing to bet that there is a free hour for practice somewhere in that time.

Your brain will be more actively engaged on snare rather than rack (auxiliary) and pushed when playing harder material, marching drill, and do your absolute best to listen and play clean with the people around you. You may not realize the effect it will have on your academics and how much more you're pushing yourself. Being that the time commitment will probably be the same, I would say think it over and ask yourself what you REALLY want, because there is fun in hard work.
Viral video with 5 snare drummers in kilts.
Army All-American Marching Band - 2012
TCI 2010 snareline "Censored"

University of Texas Percussion

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:48 pm

I can't say I've ever "gone down" in instruments so to speak, but I did "move up" from marimba 1/vibe 1 in the pit to snare (not that I personally think either is "better"; they're very different instruments that come with completely different challenges). All I can say is that while I was a ton better at keyboard percussion right off the bat, I am extremely confident that having to work harder to learn drill, match heights, memorize snare music (it was so much harder to memorize than pit music for me), learn visuals, etc. helped me grow as a percussionist and a performer WAY more than I would have spending my last two years in the pit.

And, interestingly enough, I did a lot better academically those two years than I had in the past as well. Maybe it was all the extra exercise I was suddenly getting? :P
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals

Brobano Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:57 pm

no shame at all man. Priorities are priorities. Find balance in your life. If playing a marching instrument will be too much then don't sweat it. If your pupils can't accept that, that's their problem. Have fun, perform, learn how to fulfill a role you will be able to succeed in.
To backup my statement, I was cut from my age-out audition for tenors. Later offered a possibility at bass 1. I would've gladly taken the spot but I didn't want to commit to a full summer in the end, which probably led to the reason why I put very little effort into preparing any special audition pieces, etc. I used licks I learned 6 years ago and haven't fine-tuned since then.
Homestead, Team Percussion USA.

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:45 pm

"The goal is more important than the role"

I really love this philosophy^^
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals