The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 pm

Whatever you do, don't BS them or lie to them because they will know.

TA67 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:47 am

AjaxHammer wrote:you know i asked myself why i wanted to join bluecoats the other day and well i couldn't come up with an acceptable answer. like all i could think of was stuff like "Marching here will make me BA." that wasnt exactly what i had but it was on the lines of it. well what are some things you guys would say? cause I really really do want to march with the coats but i just dont know what to say if they are going to ask me stuff like that.
I'd say because I really respect the organization, I like the music and shows they put out, etc.

iQuad =] Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:31 am

what about somethin along the lines of ---i plan on going into the field of music education after high school...i really enjoy teaching my own drumline already and younger drummers kinda look up to me...its really rewarding to see them play eights double splits perfectly for the first time, knowing its because u taught them that...i'll have a better chance at this career if i make a corps and gain even more musical experience, and as much as i see it, i dont wanna end up being one of those people who say "oh i used to be a drummer back in high school..."---

my first audition is next weekend and i have a lot of stuff memorized but not EVERYTHING........ive been practicing to the point where it feels like someone put a lighter to my arms and i have NO idea how to play the 5 grid...like, whats the sticking for it? ANYTHING would help me right now.............
***Practice how you perform. Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.***

Handley High School
2005-Bass 3
2006-Bass 2
2007-Bass 2
2008-Tenors
2009-Tenors

2010-Tenors

XxNinjaSnarexX Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:01 am

i would eventually, but isnt there an audition fee? that my only burden.
Jefferson Forest HS:
08' - 5th Bass
09' Winter - Aux.
09' - Snare
10' Winter - Snare

taylormeador Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:28 am

XxNinjaSnarexX wrote:i would eventually, but isnt there an audition fee? that my only burden.
Yeah there are usually registration fees and stuff like that. But it's not that expensive. Definitely worth the experience you get from the audition.
SBEC Band - Snare

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:49 am

Bump

This has some good info in it.
H.S. Band, Drum Corps Band. Band.

BSBottom5 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 pm

BSBottom5 wrote:
dcbd wrote:
iQuad =] wrote:

i would like to know this also please =]
It depends on the corps, i've been to an audition where only 7 people showed up. I've been to another where about 15 showed up. From friends at other corps it seems pretty much standard to expect 15ish people for bass for top 12 world class. Top 5, there are usually closer to 25. Hope that helps, any other bass questions, i can give out some info. PM me.

crossmen had 20-30 last year

i believe blue stars also had like 30+

you cant judge it

we had 17 in Nov
17 in Dec (diffrent people)
7 in jan
6 in feb (really only 5, one guy decided not to show)
my posts Reflects my own personal views, and not the views of my affiliations. don't associate what i say with any of my affiliations, because i am speaking for myself. they are my views, and mine alone. my opinions are my own, not my affiliates. thanks

iplaytenorshi Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Just wanted to say that I couldn't agree with this thread more.

pk92 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:10 pm

What's the best way to prepare for next year's auditions in addition to the basics? Should I try to get the exercises they play and just work on that?
Bush Snare KT wrote: we've grown a reputation over the years for coming from behind and surprising folks.
NVHS Drumline
2009 Tenors

University of Utah
10-11 Tenors

http://paulkeeem.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Anybody have any insight on BD auditions? I'm going out for the bdb tenor line..
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line

VioletsAreBlooo Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:49 pm

I'll definitely look back at this when I have some sort of audition, thanks
Infinity Drum Squadron.

Bloo Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Normally I wouldn't ask this because I feel like an idiot not knowing, but it's better to ask and find out than to have false-pride and not know; what exactly are grids? I've seen it said all around the boards but I don't understand what you guys are referring to. I've never heard of the term until recently.

Chopathon Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Bloo wrote:Normally I wouldn't ask this because I feel like an idiot not knowing, but it's better to ask and find out than to have false-pride and not know; what exactly are grids? I've seen it said all around the boards but I don't understand what you guys are referring to. I've never heard of the term until recently.
it's this exercise, it changed rudimental drumming.

http://www.drummagazine.com/lessons/pos ... -exercise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just play it on one drum thats wrote for the split, but yeah its simple at first but you can add all these different rudiments on the accents, on count 1, etc. (cheeses, inverts, swisses, flams, flam fives, etc)
Kamiak HS Tenor 2009~2012

Bloo Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Chopathon wrote:

http://www.drummagazine.com/lessons/pos ... -exercise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just play it on one drum thats wrote for the split, but yeah its simple at first but you can add all these different rudiments on the accents, on count 1, etc. (cheeses, inverts, swisses, flams, flam fives, etc)
Thanks so much! After seeing that and researching a bit I get it. Gonna get on that ASAP.

In regards to preparing them for auditions-- which ones should I know?

Ivan_Tenors13 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:37 pm

Bloo wrote:
Chopathon wrote:

Thanks so much! After seeing that and researching a bit I get it. Gonna get on that ASAP.

Out of all the corps auditions i've been to, we were only asked to play a stock triplet/16th note grid.As for adding rudiments, it was just flams and drags. pretty basic-ish. The hardest one i've ever been asked to play was a 16th note grid w/paradiddles, and drags on the 2nd partial. :|
NHS '06-'09:
PCC Marching Band:'10
TofR '09-'10-'11:Center Tenor
OC Independent '11: Drum Kit.
City Sound '11: Q Line

NIckas Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Ivan_Tenors13 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Chopathon wrote:

Out of all the corps auditions i've been to, we were only asked to play a stock triplet/16th note grid.As for adding rudiments, it was just flams and drags. pretty basic-ish. The hardest one i've ever been asked to play was a 16th note grid w/paradiddles, and drags on the 2nd partial. :|
For Phantom don't worry about grids, they have their own accent exercise. :D
Nick
Phantom Regiment 05/06/07 Snare

Bloo Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 am

One thing I'm worried about most when I go to audition though is something that I literally have no control over- which as you can imagine is extremely frustrating. You might not think it's something that counts against you, but it has happened to me in the past.
Height.
I've had my drum instructor critique me because being apart of a snareline, I am extremely short for my age and significantly smaller than anyone I stand next to. I'd been put on the end of the snareline for this my sophomore/junior year because I took away "aesthetically" from the line and continue on to get center/section lead my senior year.
What I'm really afraid of is that a tech or staff will look at me and think that I take away from the consistency of the line and that my height is distracting somehow. And it's unfortunate again because there's nothing I can do about it.
And my fear is that if there's someone who's just about as good as me, and taller, he will get a spot over me just because he'll fit in better.
It really bugs me, I hear all the time "you're the perfect height for bass one!" and I've played bass before, it's good and all but snare is my passion and it's a b*tch to me that I can have it taken away because of something I can't even fix or work on...

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:52 am

Bloo wrote:One thing I'm worried about most when I go to audition though is something that I literally have no control over- which as you can imagine is extremely frustrating. You might not think it's something that counts against you, but it has happened to me in the past.
Height.
I've had my drum instructor critique me because being apart of a snareline, I am extremely short for my age and significantly smaller than anyone I stand next to. I'd been put on the end of the snareline for this my sophomore/junior year because I took away "aesthetically" from the line and continue on to get center/section lead my senior year.
What I'm really afraid of is that a tech or staff will look at me and think that I take away from the consistency of the line and that my height is distracting somehow. And it's unfortunate again because there's nothing I can do about it.
And my fear is that if there's someone who's just about as good as me, and taller, he will get a spot over me just because he'll fit in better.
It really bugs me, I hear all the time "you're the perfect height for bass one!" and I've played bass before, it's good and all but snare is my passion and it's a b*tch to me that I can have it taken away because of something I can't even fix or work on...
I'm 6'2 and i want to be the tall guy that plays bass 1...bitch bass way too small for the guy playing it lol.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:52 am

Bloo wrote:One thing I'm worried about most when I go to audition though is something that I literally have no control over- which as you can imagine is extremely frustrating. You might not think it's something that counts against you, but it has happened to me in the past.
Height.
I'm 6'2 and i want to be the tall guy that plays bass 1...bitch bass way too small for the guy playing it lol. Height doesn't matter, look at gmen's center for example. He is a pretty short dude, he has been on the snareline for a couple of years though.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

Bloo Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 am

I dunno, I'm REALLY short. Not just short standing next to tall people, but short standing next to short people. hahah

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Bloo wrote:I dunno, I'm REALLY short. Not just short standing next to tall people, but short standing next to short people. hahah
Look at the raiders. Their tenorline has a really short girl on it.
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

Bloo Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 am

wturner901 wrote: Look at the raiders. Their tenorline has a really short girl on it.
Well, I attempted to look but couldn't find anything. I believe you though hahah, still... I think it will always be in the back of my mind.

NIckas Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 am

Bloo wrote:
wturner901 wrote: Look at the raiders. Their tenorline has a really short girl on it.
Well, I attempted to look but couldn't find anything. I believe you though hahah, still... I think it will always be in the back of my mind.
Trust me from my experience, height DOES NOT matter.
Here is a classic example, great player, short, doesn't matter.

Nick
Phantom Regiment 05/06/07 Snare

BLAKE13 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:19 am

I like how BAC had probably the shortest and tallest person in DCI (on drumlines) last year and the year before.
Capital Regiment 2009 (Bari)
Dominion Storm Indoor Drumline 2010, 11, 12 (Snare)

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it, we're all entitled to them.

schupsss Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 am

Hey Bloo,

I'm the really short girl from the Raiders tenor line. It was like an AT&T commercial cause I'm 5'1" the center was 5'8" and the end was 6'2."
So yeah, don't worry about being cut for your height.

Here are some picturesss.

Hula skirt sectional night in Wisconsin :)

After retreat, us with our tech Charlie Olvera.