The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Star.of.indiana Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 am

this was acually pretty helpful. im goin to be a snare auditionee at madison. for my first. and then teal. and then carolina. nerves are my problem too. so i'm gonna take all ur advise.
tks

Vega Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:37 am

dude i read this and ive got to say you've givind some pretty awesome advice i assume this all applies to indoor as well
'10 (I)Anomaly Independent - SCGC PIO Champs⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
ಠ_ಠDarrius Dixon

A Promise

Palavalve Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Does anyone have any insight on what the BASS audition is like? Do you get the exercises and practice for one drum, or do they move you around, or what?
2011 Hopeful.

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:09 am

Colin, nice job on the guide man. I even learned something :)
Palavalve wrote:Does anyone have any insight on what the BASS audition is like? Do you get the exercises and practice for one drum, or do they move you around, or what?
They move you around, because you aren't going to necessarily make the drum you audition for. It's always better to know each individual part :)
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:13 pm

anybody experience the part of the "official" audition where they start making you play stuff outside of the packet like grids and stuff. like i remember last year at crossmen, theybstarted doing other grid stuff that i wasn't as prepared as much as i would have liked to be. so what are the things they have made you guys play at auditions that arent in the packet that i should know.
Boston Crusaders 2011, 2012 - Snare
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare
Surround Sound 2010 - Snare

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:22 pm

AjaxHammer wrote:anybody experience the part of the "official" audition where they start making you play stuff outside of the packet like grids and stuff. like i remember last year at crossmen, theybstarted doing other grid stuff that i wasn't as prepared as much as i would have liked to be. so what are the things they have made you guys play at auditions that arent in the packet that i should know.
Well at Crown auditions, Lee Beddis literally said "Hey, welcome back. Play something for me".

I choked.
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 pm

wturner901 wrote:
AjaxHammer wrote:anybody experience the part of the "official" audition where they start making you play stuff outside of the packet like grids and stuff. like i remember last year at crossmen, theybstarted doing other grid stuff that i wasn't as prepared as much as i would have liked to be. so what are the things they have made you guys play at auditions that arent in the packet that i should know.
Well at Crown auditions, Lee Beddis literally said "Hey, welcome back. Play something for me".

I choked.
what did you play?
i would've done eights =)
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare

SnareMan Menich Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:48 pm

wturner901 wrote: Well at Crown auditions, Lee Beddis literally said "Hey, welcome back. Play something for me".

I choked.
I would have shat myself man. What did you do?

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:50 pm

AjaxHammer wrote:
wturner901 wrote:

I choked.
what did you play?
This. Simple and unexpected. That'll make you stand out right there.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 pm

ottomagne wrote:
AjaxHammer wrote:
wturner901 wrote: Well at Crown auditions, Lee Beddis literally said "Hey, welcome back. Play something for me".

I choked.
what did you play?
"This."
is that a ram or something or did you mean "this" as in eight on a hand?
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare

flamgod Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:19 am

Great guide...ye I have went to the first spirit camp in 08 ended up trying for cymbals after really botching the individual part of the audition. Didn't make either. But uh...it's a real humbling experience to see 50 people AS good as you . It really comes down to who wants it most. Marty Hurley once told me at a camp...it's 90% mental, 10% physical. I believe it.

RyanTenor9834 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:45 pm

well I'm a sophomore in High School, when would you recommend going to your first audition?
I <3 TENORS

Spirit 2010 quadline
TA67 wrote:I hate manwhores.

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:50 pm

AjaxHammer wrote:
ottomagne wrote:
AjaxHammer wrote:
what did you play?
"This."
is that a ram or something or did you mean "this" as in eight on a hand?
This as in eights. Sorry for the clarification issue :lol:
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 pm

RyanTenor9834 wrote:well I'm a sophomore in High School, when would you recommend going to your first audition?
now, so you can know what to expect when you're finally good enough to make a corps.
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare

BSBottom5 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:20 pm

most bass auditions roll like this.

You pick your drum of choice when you get the audition music and such, i would recomend you learn multiple. like 1 and 2, 3,4 or 4,5 that way if they switch you you'll be ready.
you'll have an individual audition on your drum of choice, pick your best one.
you'll play through it as a group. when playing through the beats ASSUME YOU ARE RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG unless you know you got off, or got slow. etc. when i auditioned at the Xmen, there were only like 5 of us that could actually play the part. and it looks better if you can play the part with random noise in the backround. normally you'll be with 1 or 2 total hacks that wont be able to play the part as a unit.
sleep. AS A BASSLINE
wakeup AS A BASSLINE
eat AS A BASSLINE
drum through more music, at this point they'll sort u into lines. you can normally tell what number you are from that, (you obviously wana be in the line with the vets)
and it basically works like that, they give you a rating 1 2 or 3,
3=go somewhere else
2 = go back to the next camp if you think you've got a shot, otherwise go somewhere else
1=congrats ill see you this summer

if you get called back past the 2nd camp and your pretty sure you still dont have a spot, i would E-mail around and see if you can send in tapes elsewhere.

i would advise talking to one of the vets beforehand to, that would have helped me alot. find out if theres a vet (i might be able to help on a few.)

dont be cocky, play confidently, TECHNIQUE (like seriously), Timing, SOUND QUALITY. all the good stuff

better attitude + work ethic > hands

DONT SUCK!!!! basically. and have everything memorized
and good unisions are FTW
my posts Reflects my own personal views, and not the views of my affiliations. don't associate what i say with any of my affiliations, because i am speaking for myself. they are my views, and mine alone. my opinions are my own, not my affiliates. thanks

BSBottom5 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:22 pm

yeah i was there, note there were 2 basses who could actually play the grids who wernt vets lol.
my posts Reflects my own personal views, and not the views of my affiliations. don't associate what i say with any of my affiliations, because i am speaking for myself. they are my views, and mine alone. my opinions are my own, not my affiliates. thanks

iQuad =] Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 pm

this is the best advice i've seen yet...I'm a sophmore in HS whos been marching for 5 years('05-b3, '06-b2, '07-b2, '08&'09-tenors) and my second year(?!?!?!?), my instructor stressed the fact that i should try out for a corps......i KNEW i wasnt ready and i was only like 13 anyway, and the best bass there was...so now i'm finally taking his advice(Spirit!)...i REALLY want a bass part(though this is my first time trying out, it'd be a miracle if i got it).....i love bass more than tenors and i've got the splits down, but my only problem is that i have MAJOR issues w/ flams...I dont completely murder them like i used to, mainly because i have been working harder than i ever have at this...i want to march corps at least ONCE before i'm too old...soooooo......how do i NOT get cut at the first camp? thats like, my only goal right now.........i would love to march Spirit, but ya know....small steps...
***Practice how you perform. Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.***

Handley High School
2005-Bass 3
2006-Bass 2
2007-Bass 2
2008-Tenors
2009-Tenors

2010-Tenors

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 pm

iQuad =] wrote:this is the best advice i've seen yet...I'm a sophmore in HS whos been marching for 5 years('05-b3, '06-b2, '07-b2, '08&'09-tenors) and my second year(?!?!?!?), my instructor stressed the fact that i should try out for a corps......i KNEW i wasnt ready and i was only like 13 anyway, and the best bass there was...so now i'm finally taking his advice(Spirit!)...i REALLY want a bass part(though this is my first time trying out, it'd be a miracle if i got it).....i love bass more than tenors and i've got the splits down, but my only problem is that i have MAJOR issues w/ flams...I dont completely murder them like i used to, mainly because i have been working harder than i ever have at this...i want to march corps at least ONCE before i'm too old...soooooo......how do i NOT get cut at the first camp? thats like, my only goal right now.........i would love to march Spirit, but ya know....small steps...
Don't let them know you are wrong. Get good at snare parts. Learn to split singles. Mark time to any time signature. Manchops. Grids.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:51 pm

PanasonicYouth wrote:they're going to get annoyed with some guy that answers "yes, sir" to every single question
This guy auditioned at Capital for snare. The staff decided they liked it and it ended up being a whole corps thing throughout the whole summer, even though the kid got cut.

iQuad =] Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 pm

dcbd wrote:
iQuad =] wrote:this is the best advice i've seen yet...I'm a sophmore in HS whos been marching for 5 years('05-b3, '06-b2, '07-b2, '08&'09-tenors) and my second year(?!?!?!?), my instructor stressed the fact that i should try out for a corps......i KNEW i wasnt ready and i was only like 13 anyway, and the best bass there was...so now i'm finally taking his advice(Spirit!)...i REALLY want a bass part(though this is my first time trying out, it'd be a miracle if i got it).....i love bass more than tenors and i've got the splits down, but my only problem is that i have MAJOR issues w/ flams...I dont completely murder them like i used to, mainly because i have been working harder than i ever have at this...i want to march corps at least ONCE before i'm too old...soooooo......how do i NOT get cut at the first camp? thats like, my only goal right now.........i would love to march Spirit, but ya know....small steps...
Don't let them know you are wrong. Get good at snare parts. Learn to split singles. Mark time to any time signature. Manchops. Grids.

the grids and marking time shouldnt be a problem...i've learned to do that subconsciously so i can concentrate on the music and sound quality and such...(in January on wednesday nights i practiced w/ JSU's bassline and that worked WONDERS) ...Manchops isnt perfect yet, but its almost there...with the individual tryouts, everyone keeps saying to play eights...should i just go with that? is there a specific piece we have to play for them? i bought the book for Spirit about a month and a half ago, and the last 3 pieces dont exactly look like warmups...more like, well, audition pieces...i have about 17 days til tryouts, so do i work on warmups, or the pieces?
***Practice how you perform. Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.***

Handley High School
2005-Bass 3
2006-Bass 2
2007-Bass 2
2008-Tenors
2009-Tenors

2010-Tenors

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:49 pm

how many people are usually there for a bass audition?
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

iQuad =] Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:how many people are usually there for a bass audition?

i would like to know this also please =]

Handley High School
2005-Bass 3
2006-Bass 2
2007-Bass 2
2008-Tenors
2009-Tenors

2010-Tenors

dcbd Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:44 pm

iQuad =] wrote:

It depends on the corps, i've been to an audition where only 7 people showed up. I've been to another where about 15 showed up. From friends at other corps it seems pretty much standard to expect 15ish people for bass for top 12 world class. Top 5, there are usually closer to 25. Hope that helps, any other bass questions, i can give out some info. PM me.
DCA 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
DCI 2012
PIA 2007, 2008, 2009
PIO 2011
PIW 2013

BSBottom5 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:45 pm

dcbd wrote:
iQuad =] wrote:

It depends on the corps, i've been to an audition where only 7 people showed up. I've been to another where about 15 showed up. From friends at other corps it seems pretty much standard to expect 15ish people for bass for top 12 world class. Top 5, there are usually closer to 25. Hope that helps, any other bass questions, i can give out some info. PM me.

crossmen had 20-30 last year

i believe blue stars also had like 30+

you cant judge it

AjaxHammer Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:55 pm

you know i asked myself why i wanted to join bluecoats the other day and well i couldn't come up with an acceptable answer. like all i could think of was stuff like "Marching here will make me BA." that wasnt exactly what i had but it was on the lines of it. well what are some things you guys would say? cause I really really do want to march with the coats but i just dont know what to say if they are going to ask me stuff like that.
Jersey Surf 2010 - Snare