The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TheseTenors Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:46 am

so can someone explain the "cutting" process in a corps. For instance, let's say i try out on tenors but don't make it would they cut you completely from the corps or to a different instrument on the battery? I don't think they should cut you to a different section in the battery because basically you've already tried out on your primary instrument and not made it, then you get moved to bass or something, what the heck are you doing on an instrument you're not familiar with? I've had this happen to me when I tried out for an indoor line and I was like kind of freaked cause i've never played bass in an ensemble before.

Pearldrums Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently 14 and I'm thinking about auditioning for Open Class in 2 years (my Sopohmore summer). I am currently thinking either Forte, Blue Devils B, or Genesis. After a few years of experience from Open Class, I want to audition for the Blue Devils. I know what it is going to take to make any of the Corps out there. I went to DCI last year and after seeing that I knew this was the thing for me. Since then, I have learned numerous DCI exercises, pieces, and other things. If anyone has somemore helpful tips, besides the ones listed, please let me know.
BBJH TCGC 2011: Vibes
UNT Marching Camp 2011: Snare[/color]
MHS Drumline Freshman 2011-2012: Snare
MHS Drumline Sophomore 2012-2013: Quads

DiddledGinger Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Anyone know the odds for making a top 8 snareline? lol

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:19 pm

DiddledGinger wrote:Anyone know the odds for making a top 8 snareline? lol
It depends on how many people enter the raffle

Cascades: Snare '10

University of Washington: Tenors '10-'11

swstarks Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 pm

I have a question:

Are heights (such as accent to tap or flam to tap) really that big of a deal when trying out? Would they cut you if you don't have very good heights but you still sound good?

Just wonderin'.
http://www.youtube.com/user/spstarks
http://www.facebook.com/#!/steven.starks.96

heem my creem.

"I'm quite fond of the manner in which you address me as your large father."

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:16 pm

swstarks wrote:I have a question:

Are heights (such as accent to tap or flam to tap) really that big of a deal when trying out? Would they cut you if you don't have very good heights but you still sound good?

Just wonderin'.
Depends on whether you're on the west or east coast. :lol:

NIckV Tenors Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Has anyone ever auditioned for Cavies and would like to share their audition experiences? I would really like to know what to expect, i would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Hillgrove '08- Timpani
Hillgrove '09- Tenor Drums
Hillgrove '10- Tenor Drums (Center)
Hillgrove '11- Tenor Drums (Center/Drum Captain)

swstarks Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:49 pm

pablodurando wrote:

Just wonderin'.
What about east coast? My guess is they don't care as much?
http://www.youtube.com/user/spstarks
http://www.facebook.com/#!/steven.starks.96

heem my creem.

"I'm quite fond of the manner in which you address me as your large father."

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 pm

swstarks wrote:
pablodurando wrote:

Just wonderin'.
What about east coast? My guess is they don't care as much?
The opposite actually, east coast puts a greater emphasis on heights, at least from what I've heard.

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm going to be auditioning for my highschool's line in 8th grade next year. Hopefully by my sophmore year I can try out for a DCI or WGI group though. Auditions for my highschools line are June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, I barely know the audition packet. I know the eights and thats it because I just got it Wednesday. I know some of the cadence parts; but not many. Should I just skip this oppurtunity and wait until I'm in highschool and have a little more experience with marching drumming? I've only really looked into this for about 2 1/2 months now.
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:52 pm

WHSnare wrote:I'm going to be auditioning for my highschool's line in 8th grade next year. Hopefully by my sophmore year I can try out for a DCI or WGI group though. Auditions for my highschools line are June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, I barely know the audition packet. I know the eights and thats it because I just got it Wednesday. I know some of the cadence parts; but not many. Should I just skip this oppurtunity and wait until I'm in highschool and have a little more experience with marching drumming? I've only really looked into this for about 2 1/2 months now.
No. Learn the audition materials for your high school. If you make it, congratulations. If you don't work harder to make it the next year. If you can, go out to a corps and audition this fall. If you make it, congratulations. If you don't, you know what to expect and work harder so you can make it the next year.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:04 am

JLbluefan09 wrote:
WHSnare wrote:I'm going to be auditioning for my highschool's line in 8th grade next year. Hopefully by my sophmore year I can try out for a DCI or WGI group though. Auditions for my highschools line are June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, I barely know the audition packet. I know the eights and thats it because I just got it Wednesday. I know some of the cadence parts; but not many. Should I just skip this oppurtunity and wait until I'm in highschool and have a little more experience with marching drumming? I've only really looked into this for about 2 1/2 months now.
No. Learn the audition materials for your high school. If you make it, congratulations. If you don't work harder to make it the next year. If you can, go out to a corps and audition this fall. If you make it, congratulations. If you don't, you know what to expect and work harder so you can make it the next year.
I'll Only be 13 this fall, summer b-day fails. I'll go out anyways. I'll play what I know; know what I play.
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 am

Has anyone auditioned for Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Phantom, or BAC? If so could you tell me what it was like and give some tips on specific things that they look for? Will having a year of experience in DCA give me an advantage over the people with no corps experience?
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

TomTom0702 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 am

Wow. I'm looking forward to trying out for my local Open corps this year. I'll definately be reffering to this often. Thanks for the awesome thread.
Attachments
Tom Tom.jpg
Mercedes High School Snare - 09'-12'
Tom Tom.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
Genesis.jpg
Big Top After Dark 2011!!!
Genesis.jpg (7.87 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
Mercedes Tiger Drumline Snare - 09'-12'

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:50 am

I'm looking at auditioning for a corps this coming November/December, with Bluecoats being my number one. Is there a better approach than just shooting really high, very young? I'm 18, and have been playing snare for 2 and half years at a decent HS and an okay college (haven't made it yet, but understand they are okay for a small West Texas college). I'm also looking at the Crossmen and Forte, but can I possibly audition for more than one corps in a year? Should I look at being in Forte first? My ultimate goal is to march with the Bluecoats. HEELLLLPPPP!!!!
Steele HS Marching Band & Indoor Drumline- Cibolo TX: 2007-2011

Kansas City Chiefs Rumble: 2013-

Vic Firth Sticks & Mallets
Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion
Pearl & Adams Musical Instruments
NGPercussion wrote:UNT could march a 15 man flexatone line and have it sound like the best thing in the world.

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 am

Pearldrums wrote:Hey guys, I'm currently 14 and I'm thinking about auditioning for Open Class in 2 years (my Sopohmore summer). I am currently thinking either Forte, Blue Devils B, or Genesis. After a few years of experience from Open Class, I want to audition for the Blue Devils. I know what it is going to take to make any of the Corps out there. I went to DCI last year and after seeing that I knew this was the thing for me. Since then, I have learned numerous DCI exercises, pieces, and other things. If anyone has somemore helpful tips, besides the ones listed, please let me know.
I was looking at BDB and unfortunately, you have to live in California. At least that's what I understand. If you live there, awesome! You're lucky. From what I've seen/heard, most members of the A corps were in the B corps for a few years. But judging by your other choices (Forte and Genesis), I can assume you live in Texas. Also check out Revolution. Very good percussion section :)

Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion
NGPercussion wrote:UNT could march a 15 man flexatone line and have it sound like the best thing in the world.

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 am

thealexbraud wrote:I'm also looking at the Crossmen and Forte, but can I possibly audition for more than one corps in a year? Should I look at being in Forte first? My ultimate goal is to march with the Bluecoats. HEELLLLPPPP!!!!
Assuming the camps don't fall on the same weekends, you can audition for more than one corps. If you had to choose, I would say go for Crossmen first. You'll probably figure out whether or not you belong there pretty fast. Then because Forte won't be nearly as competitive, there's a way bigger chance that they'd let you come in late and try out.

Cascades: Snare '10

University of Washington: Tenors '10-'11

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 am

Pearldrums wrote:Hey guys, I'm currently 14 and I'm thinking about auditioning for Open Class in 2 years (my Sopohmore summer). I am currently thinking either Forte, Blue Devils B, or Genesis. After a few years of experience from Open Class, I want to audition for the Blue Devils. I know what it is going to take to make any of the Corps out there. I went to DCI last year and after seeing that I knew this was the thing for me. Since then, I have learned numerous DCI exercises, pieces, and other things. If anyone has somemore helpful tips, besides the ones listed, please let me know.

Also, id say instead of learning features, play 8 on hand/double bounce/accent tap and get really good technique. Technique will overpower chops. Great technique leads to greater chops and longer life for those chops.

Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion

TDrumma3 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:03 am

Im auditioning for Cadets and/or Jersey Surf. What does a corps like Cadets look for at auditions if everyone there has chops? I'm in Pennsylvania so those auditions aren't a problem but I also was wondering how people can afford to fly to Texas or Ohio for auditions and camps each month? isn't that more expensive than tour itself? how does that work with class and stuff?

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 am

TDrumma3 wrote:Im auditioning for Cadets and/or Jersey Surf. What does a corps like Cadets look for at auditions if everyone there has chops? I'm in Pennsylvania so those auditions aren't a problem but I also was wondering how people can afford to fly to Texas or Ohio for auditions and camps each month? isn't that more expensive than tour itself? how does that work with class and stuff?
Idk so much about the first part of your question, as I've never auditioned on snare. But-they are very flexible about the scheduling. Do the Cadets have camps in Ohio or Texas? Most of the time a corps of the Cadets caliber have auditions in their home location, Texas and a few other states in order to get membership from across the country, without having all 950 people who try out at one place at one time. I thought their camps were in Pennsylvania? Do they not have an audition there as well?

Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion

TDrumma3 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 am

thealexbraud wrote:
TDrumma3 wrote:Im auditioning for Cadets and/or Jersey Surf. What does a corps like Cadets look for at auditions if everyone there has chops? I'm in Pennsylvania so those auditions aren't a problem but I also was wondering how people can afford to fly to Texas or Ohio for auditions and camps each month? isn't that more expensive than tour itself? how does that work with class and stuff?
Idk so much about the first part of your question, as I've never auditioned on snare. But-they are very flexible about the scheduling. Do the Cadets have camps in Ohio or Texas? Most of the time a corps of the Cadets caliber have auditions in their home location, Texas and a few other states in order to get membership from across the country, without having all 950 people who try out at one place at one time. I thought their camps were in Pennsylvania? Do they not have an audition there as well?
Cadets auditions are in Pennsylvania. I was just wondering how people can afford flights every month (if they make a corps). I was looking into auditioning for Spirit and in order to do that I'd have to fly to ATL and that would be expensive. I know there are people in DCI who audition for corps out of decent driving distance (example: live in NY/CA and audition for bluecoats) and wanted to know how they afford it and how they make it work while in college.

justdrumming Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:13 am

So I am stuck in a dilemma like many other people. I am going to be a senior in high school this coming year and am looking to audition for corps this fall. I am looking at going to SOA and BAC auditions and what if I make both? I'm not saying I will but IF I do than I would probably go to BAC because they are higher up. So how would one tell a corps that they made a different corps and are going to march for them instead? Do they look down upon this or is it okay because I have no idea if either one will take me? I just need some help to understand.
"Don't ever think you are good enough, because that's when you stop learning and start sucking."

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:16 pm

TDrumma3 wrote:
thealexbraud wrote:
Cadets auditions are in Pennsylvania. I was just wondering how people can afford flights every month (if they make a corps). I was looking into auditioning for Spirit and in order to do that I'd have to fly to ATL and that would be expensive. I know there are people in DCI who audition for corps out of decent driving distance (example: live in NY/CA and audition for bluecoats) and wanted to know how they afford it and how they make it work while in college.
Ahh I get it. Well, from what I've seen on a thread about corps fees, many have marched with out paying hardly anything from their own or their parent's pockets-at least for fees. Most corps have camps once a month. My friend marched Troopers and only had to pay the camp fees and a plane ticket each month. He fundraised and received money from sponsors to pay his tuition.

Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:07 pm

My dream corps is SCV but since I live in Florida and can't afford the ridiculously expensive plane tickets that dream has kinda gone down the drain... I'm auditioning for Boston, Spirit, and possibly Bluecoats.
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

waffley Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 am

thealexbraud wrote:
I was looking at BDB and unfortunately, you have to live in California. At least that's what I understand. If you live there, awesome! You're lucky. From what I've seen/heard, most members of the A corps were in the B corps for a few years. But judging by your other choices (Forte and Genesis), I can assume you live in Texas. Also check out Revolution. Very good percussion section :)
This is late but you deffffffinitely don't have to live in California to march BDB. We had a handful of out-of-state members this year. If you can get here and you've got the hands to make the cut, you can march here.
DCI open summer diddle band '11 '12
DCI world summer diddle band '13
WGI world winter band '12 '14
HS teachin' band '12-'15