The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:07 am

That Hula sectional is EPIC
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

schupsss Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:07 pm

wturner901 wrote:That Hula sectional is EPIC
It was pretty sweet. Especially since all the local high school kids and some old ladies were watching us.
West Orange HS
Quads - '07 - '08
Snare - '09 - '10

Raiders DBC
Quads - '10 (RPX)

United Percussion
Cymbals - '11

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 pm

schupsss wrote:
It was pretty sweet. Especially since all the local high school kids and some old ladies were watching us.
and john and adam didn't have theirs :P

kevineleven7 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm planning on audition for a corp this summer for the first time, but i'm still a bit confused on the audition process and how the camps work. So... could someone help clear up this audition process? :D
MHS 2008-2012

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Hell yeah! We had a quad luau sectional at cabs this summer

It was pretty awesome, haha.
Q

UHSnare45 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:28 pm

so i am most likely going to a blue stars camp this season? tips for a first timer. i'll also try to send a video in before going, for some feedback.
UHS-Snare '09-'12(SL)
AAMB 2013 - Snare

waffley Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:28 am

For those who have auditioned for/made bass - I'm auditioning for bass, well, obviously haha. I prefer top (twss), but I've heard they move people around to see who fits where. Should I learn first and second and maybe third (my ability to handle the weight is doubtful), or should I expect to be moved around all five for the hell of it?
DCI open summer diddle band '11 '12
DCI world summer diddle band '13
WGI world winter band '12 '14
HS teachin' band '12-'15

nicklawls Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:58 am

waffley wrote:For those who have auditioned for/made bass - I'm auditioning for bass, well, obviously haha. I prefer top (twss), but I've heard they move people around to see who fits where. Should I learn first and second and maybe third (my ability to handle the weight is doubtful), or should I expect to be moved around all five for the hell of it?
Go ahead and learn the parts for the top three. Most lines will move people around a lot and you come off looking much more prepared If you know more than one part. Some lines don't care about putting a short person anywhere in the line, and some lines would only put a short person on top. It depends on where you're trying out at lol. But for audition purposes, knowing more than one part is always a good thing.
bass is the place yo
Pucoats

waffley Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 pm

nicklawls wrote:
waffley wrote:For those who have auditioned for/made bass - I'm auditioning for bass, well, obviously haha. I prefer top (twss), but I've heard they move people around to see who fits where. Should I learn first and second and maybe third (my ability to handle the weight is doubtful), or should I expect to be moved around all five for the hell of it?
Go ahead and learn the parts for the top three. Most lines will move people around a lot and you come off looking much more prepared If you know more than one part. Some lines don't care about putting a short person anywhere in the line, and some lines would only put a short person on top. It depends on where you're trying out at lol. But for audition purposes, knowing more than one part is always a good thing.
DCI open summer diddle band '11 '12
DCI world summer diddle band '13
WGI world winter band '12 '14
HS teachin' band '12-'15

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:20 am

bltsponge wrote:

Hell yeah! We had a quad luau sectional at cabs this summer

It was pretty awesome, haha.
We had the same palm tree actually, except it was really deflated. It was a pit thing, we'd always put it somewhere random. When we found it, we put it on Justin's board (the center) and Amanda flipped out (in a good way), because apparently they had one at Crown a couple years ago lol.

Needless to say, Awkward Palm Tree became a big thing.
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

swstarks Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Wow, this thread has helped so much. thanks collin!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/spstarks
http://www.facebook.com/#!/steven.starks.96

heem my creem.

"I'm quite fond of the manner in which you address me as your large father."

mobwars Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 pm

This thread definitely has helped me. I'm living the next 10 months of my life according to that pdf and everything else mentioned on here. Next season, I'm trying out for Platinum and Surf, but I'm a player in the front ensemble who wants a spot on marimba/vibes. What are some of the exercises I should focus on? I'm already doing variations of articulations setup sort of like a grid, as well as double laterals, on "all fours", and the exercise "Rain" as well. Is there anything else?
tommyservo7 wrote:
AWA wrote:I KNEW there was something wrong!

There's no such thing as kinetic force.
*facepalm* I should have realized this. /potential physics major fail
Ocean lakes High School 2009-2011
James Madison University 2012-????

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:52 pm

mobwars wrote:This thread definitely has helped me. I'm living the next 10 months of my life according to that pdf and everything else mentioned on here. Next season, I'm trying out for Platinum and Surf, but I'm a player in the front ensemble who wants a spot on marimba/vibes. What are some of the exercises I should focus on? I'm already doing variations of articulations setup sort of like a grid, as well as double laterals, on "all fours", and the exercise "Rain" as well. Is there anything else?
dude why not try out this season?

mobwars Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 pm

I've got so much stuff going on right now at school, (I'm a Junior, so this year is kinda sorta really important and lame ass excuse, I know) and I'm still saving up for tour fees next year as well as audition fees by working two jobs. Plus, I'd rather take the time I have between now and winter 2011 to improve.
tommyservo7 wrote:

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:23 pm

mobwars wrote:I've got so much stuff going on right now at school, (I'm a Junior, so this year is kinda sorta really important and lame *beep* excuse, I know) and I'm still saving up for tour fees next year as well as audition fees by working two jobs. Plus, I'd rather take the time I have between now and winter 2011 to improve.
ok, well I know I'll have a hard time convincing you that the other stuff isn't a problem, but I can tell you right now that without a doubt, you will improve much more over a season of drum corps than you will otherwise, even if you get cut and end up playing rack or something. A summer of drum corps experience is better than sitting on the couch eating cheetos and occasionally getting out the pad during the summer.

Also you would think audition season is over, but it's totally not. Email caption heads of corps near you, ask if there's spots open, chances are there will be. You just gotta know where to look and who to ask. People get spots literally during the season in some cases, and it happens all the time. Nothing is really set until finals night lol

mobwars Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Yeah I know. I'm taking private lessons from a guy who marched a surf a while back, and he's telling me to do the same, but I really can't. It's more of a parent issue than anything. They'll let me do it next year, but not this year.
tommyservo7 wrote:

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:29 pm

mobwars wrote:Yeah I know. I'm taking private lessons from a guy who marched a surf a while back, and he's telling me to do the same, but I really can't. It's more of a parent issue than anything. They'll let me do it next year, but not this year.
Ah, indeed. Well if that's the case, and you do want to do it this year, I would suggest you get in contact with the director or the caption head and have one of them talk to your parents about working around some of the difficulties they see in doing it. Guaranteed they will have some nice sounding answers for them lol

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Here's a question for you?

Is it worth going to a camp when you have no expectation of actually making the corps?

I started playing snare last October, and started drum line period just this past season. I'm a sophomore in high school right now. I'm hoping to march DCI the summer after my senior year, but I'm also really considering going to an audition camp for Cascades and maybe OC next year, my junior year. With any luck I'll make snare for the local parade line this summer, so that will give me a lot more experience.

I'm assuming the answer is "YES, you will improve greatly even if you don't make the corps" so I don't know why I am actually asking this :p
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

koopthepoopscoop Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Buranri wrote:Here's a question for you?

Is it worth going to a camp when you have no expectation of actually making the corps?

I started playing snare last October, and started drum line period just this past season. I'm a sophomore in high school right now. I'm hoping to march DCI the summer after my senior year, but I'm also really considering going to an audition camp for Cascades and maybe OC next year, my junior year. With any luck I'll make snare for the local parade line this summer, so that will give me a lot more experience.

I'm assuming the answer is "YES, you will improve greatly even if you don't make the corps" so I don't know why I am actually asking this :p
yup, pretty much

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 am

Something I think Colin should add to the thread: You will get better at auditioning by doing everything in the thread, but it will also help to GO AUDITION. Auditioning is an experience, and expecting to make the line your first time... you might freak out at some point since it's new to you. (Not literally.) Go to a lot of auditions, be familiar with the process. You'll learn how to do things on your own wherever the rest of the advice on this thread doesn't cover it.

joedmagg Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm

very helpful. thanks.
Jamestown High School Drumline
marching cymbals-2009
center tenor-2010
center tenor-2011

DiddledGinger Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:05 pm

How many people would one be competing against for say a 9-person Snareline at The Cavaliers?

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:57 pm

DiddledGinger wrote:How many people would one be competing against for say a 9-person Snareline at The Cavaliers?
upwards of 50
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14

bltsponge Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Timartin wrote:
DiddledGinger wrote:How many people would one be competing against for say a 9-person Snareline at The Cavaliers?
upwards of 50

Probably closer to 75 or so, I'd imagine.
Q

Timartin Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm

bltsponge wrote:
Timartin wrote:
upwards of 50

Probably closer to 75 or so, I'd imagine.
yeah, I was being optimistic haha. A hell of a lot.
Glassmen Snare - 12
Matrix Snare - 13, 14