The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: The Official Guide: Auditioning for a Drum Corps

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:43 pm

waffley wrote:
thealexbraud wrote:
Pearldrums wrote:Hey guys, I'm currently 14 and I'm thinking about auditioning for Open Class in 2 years (my Sopohmore summer). I am currently thinking either Forte, Blue Devils B, or Genesis. After a few years of experience from Open Class, I want to audition for the Blue Devils. I know what it is going to take to make any of the Corps out there. I went to DCI last year and after seeing that I knew this was the thing for me. Since then, I have learned numerous DCI exercises, pieces, and other things. If anyone has somemore helpful tips, besides the ones listed, please let me know.
I was looking at BDB and unfortunately, you have to live in California. At least that's what I understand. If you live there, awesome! You're lucky. From what I've seen/heard, most members of the A corps were in the B corps for a few years. But judging by your other choices (Forte and Genesis), I can assume you live in Texas. Also check out Revolution. Very good percussion section :)
This is late but you deffffffinitely don't have to live in California to march BDB. We had a handful of out-of-state members this year. If you can get here and you've got the hands to make the cut, you can march here.
Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification. I must have misread. :)
Steele HS Marching Band & Indoor Drumline- Cibolo TX: 2007-2011

Kansas City Chiefs Rumble: 2013-

Vic Firth Sticks & Mallets
Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion
Pearl & Adams Musical Instruments
NGPercussion wrote:UNT could march a 15 man flexatone line and have it sound like the best thing in the world.

thealexbraud Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:52 pm

kevineleven7 wrote:I'm planning on audition for a corp this summer for the first time, but i'm still a bit confused on the audition process and how the camps work. So... could someone help clear up this audition process? :D
It varies from corps to corps. I auditioned for Crossmen a few years ago (only to the November camp) and they have a pretty interesting system.

In November/Early December you attend an experience camp. This is not the formal audition, but mostly to give people the experience of what it's like being in a corps. Usually Saturday night/Sunday morning, you are given a rating of 1-5. 1 means come to the audition for sure. 2 means work on stuff, but still come. 3 means maybe next year, long shot, etc. Then in late December they have their formal audition camp. As far as I know, it runs the same. Ensemble work with the caption head randomly pulling people to hear them play exercises and the like. Then they post call backs (I believe) and usually the line is officially set in January. My friend got his contract in February, so this is a second hand experience.

Most other corps just have one audition in Nov/Dec-call back in January-contracts in February.
Steele HS Marching Band & Indoor Drumline- Cibolo TX: 2007-2011

Kansas City Chiefs Rumble: 2013-

Vic Firth Sticks & Mallets
Evans Drum Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
LP Percussion
Pearl & Adams Musical Instruments
NGPercussion wrote:UNT could march a 15 man flexatone line and have it sound like the best thing in the world.

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:49 pm

This is going to help a lot. Thank you so much.

Mr.Popo Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:45 pm

thealexbraud wrote:
kevineleven7 wrote:I'm planning on audition for a corp this summer for the first time, but i'm still a bit confused on the audition process and how the camps work. So... could someone help clear up this audition process? :D
It varies from corps to corps. I auditioned for Crossmen a few years ago (only to the November camp) and they have a pretty interesting system.

In November/Early December you attend an experience camp. This is not the formal audition, but mostly to give people the experience of what it's like being in a corps. Usually Saturday night/Sunday morning, you are given a rating of 1-5. 1 means come to the audition for sure. 2 means work on stuff, but still come. 3 means maybe next year, long shot, etc. Then in late December they have their formal audition camp. As far as I know, it runs the same. Ensemble work with the caption head randomly pulling people to hear them play exercises and the like. Then they post call backs (I believe) and usually the line is officially set in January. My friend got his contract in February, so this is a second hand experience.

Most other corps just have one audition in Nov/Dec-call back in January-contracts in February.

Popo agrees, but will also say you need to know the staff to get a contract and beat out their kids
hiiiiiiiii...

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 am

[gravedig]

Hey, I don't plan on marching corps until college. Due to the school system's scheduling, it's not possible. So, theoretically, if I get offered a contract, I turn it down, then audition another year and expect to make it, will that leave a bad taste in the staff's mouth? Not that I'd actually get accepted if I audition during high school. Should I just tell them that I was attending the camp for experience and some instruction, so I could hopefully make it in the future? When they ask us why we're auditioning, would they be offended if I say that? Of course I'd be interested in making it in the future, just not for the time being.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Jetpoweredface Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 pm

VoteLobster wrote:[gravedig]

Hey, I don't plan on marching corps until college. Due to the school system's scheduling, it's not possible. So, theoretically, if I get offered a contract, I turn it down, then audition another year and expect to make it, will that leave a bad taste in the staff's mouth? Not that I'd actually get accepted if I audition during high school. Should I just tell them that I was attending the camp for experience and some instruction, so I could hopefully make it in the future? When they ask us why we're auditioning, would they be offended if I say that? Of course I'd be interested in making it in the future, just not for the time being.
That isn't an uncommon thing to do. Chances are, in a callback situation, you're not going to be the only one called back. So even if you do get a callback, it won't be the end of the world for them if you weren't planning on taking it. They assume that some if not most of the auditionees (depending on what level of corps you're auditioning for) are there just for instruction.
Notre Dame Indoor (PIA) 2011-2012 Quads
Legends Drum Corps 2012 Quads
Legends Drum Corps 2013 Snare

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Jetpoweredface wrote:
VoteLobster wrote:[gravedig]

That isn't an uncommon thing to do. Chances are, in a callback situation, you're not going to be the only one called back. So even if you do get a callback, it won't be the end of the world for them if you weren't planning on taking it. They assume that some if not most of the auditionees (depending on what level of corps you're auditioning for) are there just for instruction.
Cool. Thanks. Are callback camps only for those serious about joining the corps? I guess if you do get a callback, and you don't plan on joining, the silent way of saying 'I don't plan on joining now' is not coming to the callback camp.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Jetpoweredface Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:14 pm

For the most part, yes. I've been in one situation when I was 16 when I auditioned for Bluecoats, but I missed the November camp so I went to the December camp. Everyone there was super good and I got basically no drum time. But the only reason I was there was because I didn't go to the November camp. Plenty of people get callbacks and don't go for assorted reasons. I've even seen people get contracts and not march.
Notre Dame Indoor (PIA) 2011-2012 Quads
Legends Drum Corps 2012 Quads
Legends Drum Corps 2013 Snare

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 am

What's the situation with your school?
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 am

Buranri wrote:What's the situation with your school?
They're moving to a year-round type of schedule where he wouldn't have the entire summer off in which to march. I read him saying something about it in another topic haha
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Could always check out an open class corps. I know Spokane Thunder only tours until mid-July.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:12 pm

DCA is always an option, too, for the experience
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 am

Kaitou wrote:
Buranri wrote:What's the situation with your school?
They're moving to a year-round type of schedule where he wouldn't have the entire summer off in which to march. I read him saying something about it in another topic haha
Yup. We start school on July 31st and have camp mid-July. Because championships are early to mid August, I'd be missing a lot of school as well. Even for open class, I would still miss quite a bit. My dream corps now is the Bluecoats, so I want to get at least on or two years there before I age out. I could attend their camps while I'm still in high school, for experience, but not actually march. Then come college, I'll be able to march if I have undeniable hands and feet.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

flamgod Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Wow, necroing a thread, but then again I'm necroing my own forum profile so it doesn't really matter at this point. I just stopped by and this thread looked kinda interesting (read all 7 pages LOL I must be bored). That said, I want take a moment, as one of the guys who didn't make it, to go over some of the mistakes I've kinda figured through my head from that weekend...

I figure you don't want to read a book, so I'll try to keep it relatively short. I also figure you don't want to hear what has been said 30 times already so that's why I read 7 pages hoping I could avoid that.

Here we go:

The most important thing to me that I see overlooked these days is discipline, and not in the way most people think. Yes, we say we are ready and we are good and we want to be in a drum corps, but the millisecond we forget that we lose our footing and get cut. Stay confident, focused, and disciplined. It's a very hard balance especially with nerves and anxiety.

Stay loose.
You ARE there to enjoy what's going on so enjoy it, but all the while remembering what you're there for.

Lastly...and this requires some explanation, "take advantage of opportunities".
I messed up my solo audition due to personal circumstances and nerves and 1,000 other reasons within and beyond my control. It was a long shot anyway. That said, there were openings in the cymbal line that year. I was willing to try out for that as well and it was probably the highlight of my weekend. Granted, I got cut from that as well but it was A GOOD IDEA.

I think that's about it... Maybe some of this will be useful ^^;; I'm going to disappear again most likely.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:49 pm

I have a question. How do corps look for your marching technique? I've heard that they're not picky as long as you have a solid foundation and prove that you can adjust to their technique. But with a corps with a marching technique that's almost completely different from everybody else, do they expect you to learn it? I've heard that the Bluecoats use a backwards roll step. toe heel. I've searched for information on this technique, but I couldn't find anything helpful. Theoretically, if I was to audition there, should I go there with my normal roll step technique and hope for the best, or figure out the toe-heel technique and use that?

EDIT: I accidentally a word

P.S. - Why don't we have an Official Marching Technique Thread stickied yet?
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

AddSomeBottom Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 am

VoteLobster wrote:I have a question. How do corps look for your marching technique? I've heard that they're not picky as long as you have a solid foundation and prove that you can adjust to their technique. But with a corps with a marching technique that's almost completely different from everybody else, do they expect you to learn it? I've heard that the Bluecoats use a backwards roll step. toe heel. I've searched for information on this technique, but I couldn't find anything helpful. Theoretically, if I was to audition there, should I go there with my normal roll step technique and hope for the best, or figure out the toe-heel technique and use that?

EDIT: I accidentally a word

P.S. - Why don't we have an Official Marching Technique Thread stickied yet?
No group is going to expect you to know their technique right off the bat. The first camp's visual block will almost always be a technique/posture breakdown, where they'll explain everything in great detail, and then do some basics with it. A lot of times, the visual "audition" won't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd camp, at which point they'll get picky and expect you to have the technique. As long as you pick the up the technique and show you can meet the physical demands, the visual won't hurt you, and you can just worry about your hands getting you on the line. This is what I've taken from the groups I've auditioned for, although someone who has gone to a Coats camp could probably give you more specific information.
PIO 12-14

DMB424 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Alright. Big dilemma. I'm 20 years old and am going into my junior year of college at the University of Florida. I've never marched corps and my biggest regret is not auditioning for all the years I've been eligible. Next summer will be my last year of eligibility so I'm going to audition. There would be nothing worse than realizing how badly I want to march DCI after I already age-out. Since it will be my last year of eligibility, I want to go all out. Like really shoot for the stars. I want to audition for Phantom, Cavies, and maybe one or two others such as BAC or Spirit. My only concern is that staff and techs will overlook me because of my inexperience. I've only marched high school and college. Is it safe to say there's no way I could make a top-5 corps because of my inexperience? Or if I go into the audition, kick ass, and prove my worth, do you think it will be possible to show the staff just how badly I deserve it?
Youtube Channel
FDL Snare '13

eatsleepdrum Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Can anyone give me advice on video auditions? I live in SoCal and want to try out at Troopers Drum And Bugle Corps for this next season. As much as I'd like to be there in person and as much as I know it's better to audition that way, I don't believe it's quite realistic that I can afford to fly to auditions.
So in doing a video audition, what are some things I should keep in mind?
IE: How long is too long? If they just want you to play some basic exercises of your own, how basic should "basic" be? What would be the best place to film it? (indoor, outdoor, studio, etc)? How helpful is it to have a video filmed very "fancy"ish (hi-def, amazing acoustics, etc)? What would be basic criteria on using a met (should I be using one when playing, should I not be using one, if I'm using one should it be audible to the viewer as well, etc)?

justinpotts Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm trying out for the Cavis this year with my friend for snare. Is it good for a learning experience and people looking to improve or is it tough improve and learn things while you're there?
"Take it back one more time."

High School Pit (Vibes): 2012-2013
High School Drumline (Snare): 2013-present
Auditioned at Crossmen (Snare): 2013

baigern Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 am

Do you have to perform a solo during tryouts?
North Crowley High School
'12 - Garden of Dreams - Tenors
'13 - Revolution: The Music of Tchaikovsky - Tenors
'14 - Elegance and Power: The Classics - Tenors
'15 - Mirror of Me - Tenors

Ethan Mccraw Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm

This has been really helpful for me guys! I enjoyed reading it all. I believe it will help me with my music city snare auditions this December.

Gee_Of_Gatsby Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Ayy first post of 2017. I might be late, but thankfully auditions still happen.

I am going to the Cavies audition experience on snare this upcoming weekend and I thought I might (desperately) reach out one more time to see if I can get a little more assurance of what's gonna go down.
I've read the OP and thought it was wonderful! I really appreciated all the insight from all that experience. Since all corps are different, I thought I might shoot my favourite corps' shot and ask about the Cavies process, specifically individual auditions and how important it is to have EVERYTHING memorized. I mean, they included the entire opener from 2015 and that is not an easy piece! Are expecting mastery, adequacy or will they even ask for it at all? I'm taking for granted that all the other exercises will be called on, even a solo I need to prepare, but I'm just not sure about the excerpt.

Anyway, those are my queries. I doubt they'll be answered in time, but I guess whoever answers will be able to help people farther along. I will certainly give a full run-down of the weekend for yall!

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Gee_Of_Gatsby wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:07 pm

I am going to the Cavies audition experience on snare this upcoming weekend and I thought I might (desperately) reach out one more time to see if I can get a little more assurance of what's gonna go down.
I've read the OP and thought it was wonderful! I really appreciated all the insight from all that experience. Since all corps are different, I thought I might shoot my favourite corps' shot and ask about the Cavies process, specifically individual auditions and how important it is to have EVERYTHING memorized. I mean, they included the entire opener from 2015 and that is not an easy piece! Are expecting mastery, adequacy or will they even ask for it at all? I'm taking for granted that all the other exercises will be called on, even a solo I need to prepare, but I'm just not sure about the excerpt.

Anyway, those are my queries. I doubt they'll be answered in time, but I guess whoever answers will be able to help people farther along. I will certainly give a full run-down of the weekend for yall!
It's best to prepare everything in the packet the best you can because you don't know what they're going to call. So yes, you should prepare the show music. In your individual they'll probably ask for a few exercises, maybe the show segment, and maybe a short solo. In general, they're expecting a certain level of adequacy. It's true that you'll get some credit for adjustment to their approach/attitude/whatever, but especially at such a competitive audition you do have to play really well to hang. Sometimes people will try too hard to stand out. If you perform better than the people around you, you'll stick out.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Gee_Of_Gatsby wrote:
Man, I thought I was gonna be the first in here when I logged on today.

Anyways, my post here is to ask about the Troopers camp coming up in a couple weeks. I'm auditioning for the snareline and I wanted to know if anyone had any insight as to what I should expect from the camp. I brought my school drum home so I'm practicing on an actual drum, and while there's no formal packet this year I've been preparing the exercises they requested, as well as reading through a lot of Troopers and SCV music to familiarize myself with more of Rennick's writing and practice learning music faster. I've had two years of experience on the snareline of one of the best high school drumlines in the state, one of my old neighbors is going to be one of the techs at the camp, and I have two friends that have already been to Troopers camps that have been helping me with technique and just preparing in general. What else, if anything at all, can I be doing to prepare for this camp?

(Sorry for the novel I've just been looking forward to this camp for a long time and I want to be as well prepared as I can)
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Gee_Of_Gatsby Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:19 pm

VoteLobster wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm
Gee_Of_Gatsby wrote:

It's best to prepare everything in the packet the best you can because you don't know what they're going to call. So yes, you should prepare the show music. In your individual they'll probably ask for a few exercises, maybe the show segment, and maybe a short solo. In general, they're expecting a certain level of adequacy. It's true that you'll get some credit for adjustment to their approach/attitude/whatever, but especially at such a competitive audition you do have to play really well to hang. Sometimes people will try too hard to stand out. If you perform better than the people around you, you'll stick out.
I also forgot to mention that I have no intention of marching next summer with the Cavaliers. I'm essentially doing this audition for the instruction. That's why I ask if high proficiency is required for someone who's not seriously auditioning. Now, I know that going in with this type of attitude isn't good for an audition, especially if I want to try-out later in life with the Cavies and I'm seen as the guy who had no intention of making the cut. But basically, I won't be surprised if I'm cut and I'd be pleasantly surprised if I get a callback.

Intentions of making or not, I'll definitely be trying my best, don't worry.