How hard is it to make cadets/ audition advice

discuss Drum Corps International and Winter Guard International news / gossip / etc

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

anthonydrums Offline
noob
noob

How hard is it to make cadets/ audition advice

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Im 16 starting junior year in HS and i play quads. I'm in the NYC/westchester area so im close to alot of dca corps (bushwackers, cabs, hurricanes, cadets2). Ever since I started watching dci almost 2 years ago I've always wanted to march cadets. I don't have experience besides high school band/ indoor and a dca exhibition corps in my town this past summer. I'm 50/50 about going to the cadets camp in november because 1) alot of my friends are in the exhibition corps that i'm in right now and I'm familiar with all the staff etc, so its an environment Im comfortable in and enjoy, and 2) i dont feel that im ready to march cadets2 yet because looking at audition packets from the past few years some of the material is beyond my ability as far as timing and playing go, so i'm considering waiting another year to improve my skills enough to make c2 next year and eventually cadets, but at the same time I really want to get my feet wet and march a real dca corps this summer as my drumline staff has said that most of our drumline is good enough to make lines such as sunrisers, hurricanes, or even bush, so how hard exactly is it to make cadets/c2? as well as any other advice as far as auditions and improving skills for dca/dci, etc would be very helpful, thanks!

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: How hard is it to make cadets/ audition advice

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:22 pm

I can't say from experience how hard it is to make cadets or c2, but one thing I will say with certainty is this: GO TO THAT CAMP. Even if you don't think you're ready at all, go to that camp. The point of audition camps in general isn't just to recruit people for the coming year, but to give potential future members a feel for the techniques and attitude of the corps, and teach them as much as they can. One of the most eye-opening realizations I had was realizing that drum corps isn't a purely competitive environment They want to see EVERYONE come back next year, not just the vets, and they want to teach you as much as they can to give you a better shot at making it next year. I promise you the amount that you will learn at that camp will change your life. I was an end at my high school for 2 years, and then last December I went to a Troopers camp. I didn't even get a callback, but I learned so much and gained so much perspective on how to improve myself that I went from end to center in one year, bypassing two guys who had been inside me the previous two years. I know you're much more concerned with actually making the group than your status at your school, so am I, but even if you don't make it you will still learn a ton just from going to a camp and you will be much more prepared for the following year.

Long story short, the most important thing you can do for yourself to prepare for making a drum corps is to go to as many camps as you possibly can, even if you don't think you're ready to make the group. You will learn an incredible amount.
Cedar Park High School
'15 "What's Opera Doc" - Bass 4: State Champions
'16 "All Hallows' Eve" - Snare: Grand Nationals 5th Place
'17 "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" - Snare: State Champions, Lonestar Classic Gold Medal, Snare Caption
'18 "On With The Show" - Center Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning."
~Buddy Rich