It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:44 pm 
flam dragger
flam dragger

I have a huge problem with diddles, I am right hand heavy with them, and I don't know how much arm/wrist/finger to use...I can play them quick but they sound like poo. What things do you do to get them better? Is double beat all i need to do? thanks :cry:

WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12 - Quads

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:24 am 
noob
noob

Try learning 32nd notes. It helped me. Also, do a long, drawn out roll, and make it sound like stupid fast singles. THAT open. then you should have something to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:17 am 
playin' eights
playin' eights

Do Sanford (in exercise library) on a pillow. Make sure every note you put on the pillow is full stroke and full sound quality. Eventually you will be able to play Sanford with no rebound as good as you would with the snare rebound. then Diddles are pie :D

HHS Indoor
-"Lost"-08-09 - Bass 5 (Captain)
-"Project 3EI" 09-10 - Bass 2 (Captian)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 am 
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Just work double beat as much as you can. Also try playing single stroke 4's. As a bass drummer, working on getting quality 4's helped my double beat a lot. And working double beat helped me get quality 4's :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:52 am 
playin' eights
playin' eights

Practice slow and to a click. Stick Control has become your new best friend.

There are so many doubles exercises out there, just anything that cycles doubles in various forms (inverted, starting at different places, etc) and work em.

3's as well will tremendously help your diddle quality.

Can not stress enough that you need to slow down and work with a metronome. Making sure the note values are beautiful at very slow tempos and gradually increasing the tempo as you are able to maintain a relaxed control over your hands, arms and each and every note you play.

There is no substitute for breaking down rhythms to ultra slow tempos and focusing on every note you play.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:55 pm 
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:11 pm 
chops master
chops master

Elmo11 wrote:
Do Sanford (in exercise library) on a pillow. Make sure every note you put on the pillow is full stroke and full sound quality. Eventually you will be able to play Sanford with no rebound as good as you would with the snare rebound. then Diddles are pie :D

don't do this.. playing on a pillow is possibly the worst idea ever. it makes you wourse on a drum. someone delete this comment. forserious. I've watched way too many people do this and permanenty jack up their technique, hands, and pretty much every aspect of their playing.

my posts Reflects my own personal views, and not the views of my affiliations. don't associate what i say with any of my affiliations, because i am speaking for myself. they are my views, and mine alone. my opinions are my own, not my affiliates. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 pm 
ramming notes
ramming notes

make your diddles sound likes singles, and make your singles sound like diddles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:08 pm 
playin' eights
playin' eights

BSBottom5 wrote:
Elmo11 wrote:

don't do this.. playing on a pillow is possibly the worst idea ever. it makes you wourse on a drum. someone delete this comment. forserious. I've watched way too many people do this and permanenty jack up their technique, hands, and pretty much every aspect of their playing.

Explain?

HHS Indoor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:01 pm 
noob
noob

BSBottom5 wrote:
Elmo11 wrote:

Really?
I've had so many, experienced, and extremely skilled players tell me that playing on a pillow is the way to go. How exactly would it mess up everything?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:54 pm 
ramming notes
ramming notes

Jenalin wrote:
BSBottom5 wrote:
Elmo11 wrote:

Really?
I've had so many, experienced, and extremely skilled players tell me that playing on a pillow is the way to go. How exactly would it mess up everything?

playing on a pillow= good

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 pm 
playin' eights
playin' eights

Playing with no rebound is the best thing to build chops because it makes it x4's as easy of when you do have rebound.

Maybe the people you know didn't practice right.

HHS Indoor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:35 pm 
flam dragger
flam dragger

I tried the pillow thing and it just didn't work for me, I got on a drum and felt terrible. my best recamendation is do snaford or double beat or w/e but do it all with DOUBLE STOPS!!! And make sure your left and right are matching eachother in intensity, this is what helped me the most with my diddles.

09 Snare
10 Rhythm Syndicate Indoor - Snare
10 Center Snare
11 Rhythm Syndicate Indoor - Center Snare
"Danger Overhead Power Lines"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 pm 
flam dragger
flam dragger

Only practice on a pillow if you know exactly what you are developing and how you are going to. For example, if you try to learn double stroke technique with using your back fingers on the second stroke, it may not be beneficial to play on a pillow. The lack of rebound from the pillow would cause you to lift the stick for the second stroke using your wrist, which is exactly what you don't want to do. On the contrary, if you are simply trying to build wrist power or speed, pillows can be helpful, to a certain extent.

Basically, be smart about it, and if you don't know what you are doing, get some help from someone that can play better than you can.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 am 
playin' eights
playin' eights

FlamingFlamsOHMY! wrote:
Only practice on a pillow if you know exactly what you are developing and how you are going to. For example, if you try to learn double stroke technique with using your back fingers on the second stroke, it may not be beneficial to play on a pillow. The lack of rebound from the pillow would cause you to lift the stick for the second stroke using your wrist, which is exactly what you don't want to do. On the contrary, if you are simply trying to build wrist power or speed, pillows can be helpful, to a certain extent.

Basically, be smart about it, and if you don't know what you are doing, get some help from someone that can play better than you can.

Agreed.

HHS Indoor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:02 pm 
playin' eights
playin' eights

FlamingFlamsOHMY! wrote:

Bingo.

Practicing on sub-rebound surfaces can be a great tool, but only if you know how to use the tool.

The name of the game in modern drumming is rebound control, with a proper full stroke, the stick should be making a lot more notes then you need. It's learning how to control all of them that is the key.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 am 
playin' eights
playin' eights

2 key things, don't crush the diddles or play them to open.

Snare 2010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:17 pm 
paradiddler
paradiddler

Scot Johnsons diddle control #3 is nice

Attachments:
DiddleControl.jpg
DiddleControl.jpg [ 46.41 KiB | Viewed 2232 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:34 am 
noob
noob

I just learned to play 3 stroke rolls. Seemed to help me with my diddles. If you can play 3's easily, you can probably play 2's pretty well also. Weird way to think of it, but it helped me. Otherwise, just play a bunch of double beat exercises. AB, sanford, w/e. you can also play roll exercises like diddles and taps (gallop/pat's double, whatever) or chicken and a roll or anything like that. There are millions...okay, probably like...tens of exercises that are pretty much amazing for improving rolls. AB helps, sanford helps, gallop is my favorite though, personally. Just practice a bunch though, and eventually, your rolls won't sound like poop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:28 pm 
paradiddler
paradiddler

FerreusOpus wrote:

absolutely great

'08 "Gloria" -Bass3
'09 "Reflections Of The Orient" -Bass3
'10 "Africa" -Tenor1
'11 "Arabian Journey" -Tenor1
'12 "The Wall" -Tenor1

'09 "Timescapes"- Aux 2
'10 "Vedic Hymns"- Aux 1
'11 "Radioactive"- Aux 1
'12 "Audacity"- Aux1

"Tambourine guy"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:00 pm 
chops master
chops master

Playing on a pillow will make you really good...

...good at playing on a pillow.

Worthless.

DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm 
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

KJennings wrote:

Worthless.

pretty much this. it's like pad hands.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:16 pm 
ramming notes
ramming notes

KJennings wrote:

Worthless.

Playing doubles on a pillow worked for me when I was young and just building my chop strength. I didn't spend tons of time doing it, but I did notice a significant improvement in my doubles quality after a few sessions on a pillow while watching TV. Like any exercise, it has a specific purpose and YMMV.

Flam 1-2-3 mp3 | Death by Flam w/mp3s
Tornado Practice mp3s | Tcha Degga Da practice mp3s

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:03 am 
noob
noob

Double beat (any one) focus on each hand sounding the same and triple beat. For both of these exercises focus on each note at the same height, like the triple beat the first note shouldn't be the loudest/highest note and a gradual decrescendo from there. each note should be a wrist turn and all at the same height. play all tempos. then apply the same playing/feeling to rolls/diddles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:47 pm 
ramming notes
ramming notes

BSBottom5 wrote:
Elmo11 wrote:

I agree.