How do you count fives (16th notes)?

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

7thGradeDrumlineFTW Offline
noob
noob

How do you count fives (16th notes)?

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Okay, so I'm new to my high school's drumline and I made it pretty much by the skin of my teeth. There's this warmup that I can just nearly do, but there are 16th note fives in the middle of it and I just can't wrap my head around it. I understand that you have to count out a five-letter syllable like university or hippopotamus or something, but I just can't figure out when I should be counting an odd number without playing a six (especially in 16th notes). Anyone wanna help? I am TOTALLY lost.
Last edited by 7thGradeDrumlineFTW on Wed May 10, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: How do you play fives (16th notes)?

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:53 pm

The notes in the fivelet will be faster than regular 16th notes (which you can think of as fourlets) but slower than a sixlet.

What you do is place five notes equally spaced before you hit the next downbeat, starting on the previous downbeat. Say "University" or what have you to a metronome, and each "U" will line up with a click. Each syllable is a note in the fivelet. Start them slow, until you get a feel for what the note spacing feels and sounds like.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

7thGradeDrumlineFTW Offline
noob
noob

Re: How do you count fives (16th notes)?

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Okay dude thanks. The clarification about them being faster than fourlets but slower than sixlets helped out alot. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it in the short amount of time that's passed.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: How do you count fives (16th notes)?

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:46 pm

It's one of those things that you just kind of have to feel out. Say university with a metronome and slowly build the tempo, then drop the tempo back down and build it back up while saying it and playing the part of the exercise. Then, drop back down one more time and build back up while just playing. When you drop the tempo, especially when bringing your hands in, start SLOW. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to start slow and build slow. Don't suddenly bump the tempo up 20 clicks because you think you've got it. I know it's tedious but it will help in the long run.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich