Snare lick

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

WombatSniper Offline
noob
noob

Snare lick

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Does anyone have any short and sweet snare licks? I have been looking around and I couldn't really find any that interested me.

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Snare lick

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:08 pm

The 10 Second Lick is pretty fun (here's a video). The transcriptions is 90% accurate, but I'm fairly certain that the 10-lets are actually supposed to just be 32nd notes. The tempo is way off too: you only need to play it at 132 bpm to get it in 10 seconds (if you replace the 10-lets with 32nd notes; otherwise it's just 129 bpm).

To learn it, it helps to think in terms of the eighth note as the beat.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm

There's a version of the 10 second lick in the snarescience Google Drive folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/fold ... TdlSzNhWWM <= here) that's a little easier to read and understand, although the time signatures are a little weird.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:54 pm

The version with the quads is exactly the same as what I posted (other than the alternate ending) and the other version has quite a few mistakes:
  • The triplets in the 3rd and 4th bars should be 16th notes
  • There should be another 16th note after the hi-mom (for a total of 3 on the right hand)
  • The backsticks should be cross overs (watch the video I posted)
  • The thumb roll in the 6th measure should last for 12 32nd notes, rather than 8
  • The sticking for the last beat should be lrlll
I will say that that version gets the first couple measures right (with 32nd notes instead of 10lets). Neither version gets the tempo right, though 150 is a lot closer than 100.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Seriously? Search anything by Dennis Johnson on this site. If there is nothing there that piques your fancy, then I say you should just hang up your sticks and go spin flag.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Zeta12ti wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:54 pm
The version with the quads is exactly the same as what I posted (other than the alternate ending) and the other version has quite a few mistakes:
  • The triplets in the 3rd and 4th bars should be 16th notes
  • There should be another 16th note after the hi-mom (for a total of 3 on the right hand)
  • The backsticks should be cross overs (watch the video I posted)
  • The thumb roll in the 6th measure should last for 12 32nd notes, rather than 8
  • The sticking for the last beat should be lrlll
I will say that that version gets the first couple measures right (with 32nd notes instead of 10lets). Neither version gets the tempo right, though 150 is a lot closer than 100.
The other, flawed one was the one I think was more readable. What are you going off of besides the version with the quads to point out these mistakes?
Cedar Park High School

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Watch the video, and listen. If it's too fast, slow it down.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:59 am

Even at 50% speed it's still pretty quick, if I slow it down any further the audio cuts out, and there's no source of tempo for me to reference to determine what the rhythms are
Cedar Park High School

Zeta12ti Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am

One thing that helps me is using VLC. You can stream directly from youtube (network stream) and it allows you to slow it down to 30% without the audio cutting out. Also of note, VLC lets you loop a short section of the video, which can help for figuring out weird rhythms.

As for reference, the first measure and a bit are entirely are sixteenths (and diddles), so clap along with the eighth note. It gets a little syncopated with the weird time signatures, but you should be able to tell that it always has a duple feel, never any triplets. It is weird to transcribe solos exactly for this reason. The lack of outside reference means you can never be sure if there's suddenly a weird metric change. Nonetheless, with practice, you can pick out when the underlying rhythms change. They don't change here, except possibly a slight slowdown after the first part.

ALSO, the version with the tenors was the original one that Keelan gave in the video's description (the link is broken now), so we can assume it's as least mostly accurate since it got his approval.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Zeta12ti wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am
One thing that helps me is using VLC. You can stream directly from youtube (network stream) and it allows you to slow it down to 30% without the audio cutting out. Also of note, VLC lets you loop a short section of the video, which can help for figuring out weird rhythms.

As for reference, the first measure and a bit are entirely are sixteenths (and diddles), so clap along with the eighth note. It gets a little syncopated with the weird time signatures, but you should be able to tell that it always has a duple feel, never any triplets. It is weird to transcribe solos exactly for this reason. The lack of outside reference means you can never be sure if there's suddenly a weird metric change. Nonetheless, with practice, you can pick out when the underlying rhythms change. They don't change here, except possibly a slight slowdown after the first part.

ALSO, the version with the tenors was the original one that Keelan gave in the video's description (the link is broken now), so we can assume it's as least mostly accurate since it got his approval.
I had no idea VLC was a thing... also thank you for taking the time to explain your reference and saving me the trouble of figuring it out myself :lol:
Cedar Park High School

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:58 am

schorsquatch wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 pm
Seriously? Search anything by Dennis Johnson on this site. If there is nothing there that piques your fancy, then I say you should just hang up your sticks and go spin flag.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Schorsquatch. Go spin flag? Funny! :lol:
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 am

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:58 am
schorsquatch wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 pm
Thanks for the vote of confidence Schorsquatch. Go spin flag? Funny! :lol:
He's right too. I've seen your posts all over these boards and I don't think there's been anything I haven't liked
Cedar Park High School

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks Sir Eric. Recently I've sort of stopped writing the 16 count phrases and started writing "rudimental combinations" and a few
eight count snare breaks. I've got a few more combinations to post and I will as soon as I can video them. I really think we all have
something to contribute and I encourage you younger guys to write and share your creations. That's how we all grow musically.

Keep on drumming!

Dennis
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer