Oddly specific exercises

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Hugh C Offline
noob
noob

Oddly specific exercises

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Recently (Yesterday) took Edward Freytag's, "And the Kitchen Sink," to a solo/ensemble event. Managed to get a one, but seeing as I still have a few performances in which to play, I've been looking for exercises to help clean up some of the dirtier portions. Namely, measures 74-75, 93-94, and 96-97. Especially pataflafla single seven, the cheese patflafla, and cheese five pataflafla rudiments;

I am just looking for guidance as to what exercises might help with these the most.
Thanks
'13 Bass 2
'14 Snare
'15 Center Snare
'16 Center Snare

- Hugh C.

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oddly specific exercises

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:11 am

I've always liked this alternating + same hand pataflala exercise. I think a big key for this rudiment is learning to stay relaxed while still playing good heights. If you get tension in the 'inverted' motion from the low tap to directly into the accent it's going to be really tough to execute well at tempo. Key is to start slow and gradually speed it up while making sure no tension is creeping in.

16th notes played continuously through from 'fours' to 'ones'. Uppercase = accent, lowercase = tap.

(four beat pattern) RlrL RlrL RlrL RlrL, LrlR LrlR LrlR LrlR, RlrL RlrL RlrL RlrL, LrlR LrlR LrlR LrlR,
(two beat pattern) RlrL RlrL LrlR LrlR, RlrL RlrL LrlR LrlR
(one beat pattern) RlrL LrlR RlrL LrlR

variations:

1) Just flams on accents
2) Flam drags with flams on the accents
3) Cheeses on the accents
4) Flam fives on the accents.

This exercise could easily be adapted for 6-tuplets like this:

(four beat pattern) RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL, LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR, RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL, LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR,
and so on...
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 am

I'm sure this is a pretty obvious thing to say but breaking it down hand to hand always helps. I played this solo last year and my friend is playing it this year, and the exercise I used and taught him is as follows (Accents are capitals just like snarescience said)

R r rrR r rrR
1 2 3&1 2 3&1
(repeat ad nausea)

And on the left hand it would be the same thing, but with the accent and beat shifted like so:

ll l Lll l Ll
1& & &1& & &1
(repeat until hand falls off)

Beyond that, I really like the exercise snarescience described, although if you could cheese pataflaflas like that you'd be a legend
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich

Hugh C Offline
noob
noob

Re: Oddly specific exercises

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:04 pm

snarescience wrote:I've always liked this alternating + same hand pataflala exercise. I think a big key for this rudiment is learning to stay relaxed while still playing good heights. If you get tension in the 'inverted' motion from the low tap to directly into the accent it's going to be really tough to execute well at tempo. Key is to start slow and gradually speed it up while making sure no tension is creeping in.

16th notes played continuously through from 'fours' to 'ones'. Uppercase = accent, lowercase = tap.

(four beat pattern) RlrL RlrL RlrL RlrL, LrlR LrlR LrlR LrlR, RlrL RlrL RlrL RlrL, LrlR LrlR LrlR LrlR,
(two beat pattern) RlrL RlrL LrlR LrlR, RlrL RlrL LrlR LrlR
(one beat pattern) RlrL LrlR RlrL LrlR

variations:

1) Just flams on accents
2) Flam drags with flams on the accents
3) Cheeses on the accents
4) Flam fives on the accents.

This exercise could easily be adapted for 6-tuplets like this:

(four beat pattern) RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL, LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR, RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL RlrlrL, LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR LrlrlR,
and so on...
This has been super helpful thanks!
'13 Bass 2
'14 Snare
'15 Center Snare
'16 Center Snare

- Hugh C.

Hugh C Offline
noob
noob

Re: Re:

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 pm

MrSirEric wrote:I'm sure this is a pretty obvious thing to say but breaking it down hand to hand always helps. I played this solo last year and my friend is playing it this year, and the exercise I used and taught him is as follows (Accents are capitals just like snarescience said)

R r rrR r rrR
1 2 3&1 2 3&1
(repeat ad nausea)

And on the left hand it would be the same thing, but with the accent and beat shifted like so:

ll l Lll l Ll
1& & &1& & &1
(repeat until hand falls off)

Beyond that, I really like the exercise snarescience described, although if you could cheese pataflaflas like that you'd be a legend
I actually have not attempted to break this portion down from hand to hand, because I played through it fairly well at first, but as I began to play the piece faster I've noticed that the doubles were closing up and I was losing some left hand control (which has a lot to do with my index finger placement whoops). I'm definitely giving this a try today
'13 Bass 2
'14 Snare
'15 Center Snare
'16 Center Snare

- Hugh C.