Does anyone know how to read this

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

keoni108 Offline
noob
noob

Does anyone know how to read this

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:53 pm

I need help in the rhythm, not the actual notes. This is from bar 6 in the bluecoats 2013 closer. Can someone explain to me what the actual note values are and how to read it? Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 09.49.00 AM.png
Music
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 09.49.00 AM.png (10.73 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Does anyone know how to read this

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:09 pm

What's the time signature?
Kyle Herring

Got a score you want cleaned up? Need quality audio files and click tracks for your group? PM me. I have Sibelius 7, VDL 2.5, and more free time than I'm comfortable with.

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Westlake High School (Westlake, LA)
Caption Head 11-present

St. Louis Catholic High School

particleplatypus Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:16 pm

I actually have this written in my version as two fivelets (S-s-1-2-3) (4-[4]-3-[2]-1) and then a sextuplet (1-2-3-4-3-2) leading into the eight notes (1-4), so I count it as hip-po-pot-a-mus hip-po-pot-a-mus ba-na-na-ba-na-na kak-gong. Or just 12345 22345 323456 4and. Thank god its all standard tuplets that take up only 1 beat.
GMHS '11 "The Sound of Music"
MHS '13 "The Pursuit of Hapiness"
MHS '14 "The Other Side of the Rainbow"

keoni108 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:02 pm

I am still confused on how to read them. What do the 4s mean, because if it meant there were 4 beats in a count, then it would just be 16ths.

@roastduck this movement is in 4/4

particleplatypus Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Forgive me if you already know this, I'm just trying to make sure I answer your question.

First off, the music you have seems to be incorrect, my ears aren't perfect, but I believe the rhythm is different and I will post it below. However if you like some knowledge....

So usually when people write groupings of notes with a 4 above them, it means they are playing 4 notes (a quadruplet, quad=4) in the space of less than 1 beat of sixteenth notes (or whatever the subdivision is, and usually in the space of three sixteenth notes, which these are). This is called a ratio tuplet. The formal way to write this would be 4:3 over each quadruplet (signifying 4 notes in the space of 3, The uberformal way to write sixteenths are 4:4 or 4:2 and triplets are really 3:4 or 3:2 depending on if you are using sixteenth or eight notes respectively). Scary sounding, not that bad to do, its all about feel. This would mean, in context, that you would play 4 groupings of 4 notes in the space of 3 beats. So really you would be playing 21.33333 notes, which fall between fivelets and sextuplets. This is kind of awkward.

I hear a slight speed increase after the first ten notes, so I am assuming a different rhythm, I might be wrong but this is wayyyyyy easier. Take the same notes and cross off the 4's above them. The first five are a group, highlight, circle, bracket, etc. them and write 5 above. Then do the same with the next 5 notes. The last 6 are a sextuplet, so write 6. Each of these groupings take up exactly one beat. This way you can set your met to a quarter note click and work on the fivelet pulse (hip-po-pot-a-mus, or just 1-2-3-4-5, and it can help to use an accent pattern like (1-2-1-2-3) Then that flows into the sextuplet, which is just triplets on the eight notes.

tl;dr your rhythm is weird, i think its actually just single beat fivelet, fivelet, sextuplet.

I hope that helped and the math didn't confuse you. I can try to explain anything you still have questions about.

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:11 am

If you guys would like, I could type it out on musescore later tonight and post it on here. Trying to type out the rhythms and drums is probably confusing him more than it's helping

particleplatypus Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 am

That would probably help. I'm not really great at explaining things. I have the pdf, it's chillbrochads version with altan stalker quad solo. It's just on my phone and technical difficulties are present.

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:58 pm

ive only seen 4 written when the song isnt in something/4, like 6/8 etc. but you count it 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a because it is regular sixteenths in different time. Same thing goes with writing 6 for sextuplets in 4/4
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.