Need Help

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ColdTurkey Offline
noob
noob

Need Help

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 pm

I was recently turned down from an audition a few days ago and I need some help improving so I can come back even stronger the next time!
The instructors told me that I need to work on the difference between taps and accents (mainly just keeping taps down) in addition to being able to increase the sound quality of my taps. They told me I was extremely close, but this was my biggest flaw in the decision to either keep on the line or cut me. If any of you could link me to some exercises that will help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :mrgreen:

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Need Help

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm

What you just heard was code for "your dynamic control is not what it needs to be". I'm guessing you throw your hands down without too much consideration for heights.

There are many different ways to work on this, including:
Two-Height Exercises ("Bucks")
Flam Exercises
Grids
Legatos at different heights, and be disciplined about it

As always, use a metronome, and play in front of a mirror and just try to look like a badass.

A clever exercise is to lay a towel on top of your practice pad, and play your part at "p". If you can get articulation at that low level, with rebound dampened, then you are doing pretty good at developing good technique at tap height. Hope this helps... good luck!
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

iDntBlink Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Bucks, just like eights only you accent the 1st & 3rd hit and so on.

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 am

Be disciplined about your dynamics, as everyone else has said. I like to think of having a good down stroke for my accents, so my taps or up strokes are forced to have to come from 3', piano, or whatever you want to call it. If you can separate the motions properly, then that should help a lot.
Percussioning since 2003.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 am

NGPercussion wrote:Be disciplined about your dynamics, as everyone else has said. I like to think of having a good down stroke for my accents, so my taps or up strokes are forced to have to come from 3', piano, or whatever you want to call it. If you can separate the motions properly, then that should help a lot.
I think this hits on a very important concept... and that is that all these concepts are linked. Accents and taps and rolls and dynamics and timing don't all exist on their own, like they are somehow independent skills. More accurately, they are INTER-dependent skills. There is a perception that you can be weak in one area, but that usually means you must reinforce multiple skills to get where you want to be. To build on NG said, it is impossible to have effective accent tap or dynamics if you don't have a good basic legato stroke. In another forum, we were talking about feather tapping and dirt... it is very difficult to have good timing and interpretation if you are not following through with the strokes. So you see, its all linked together.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.