What else to practice?

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ExtensionChord Offline
noob
noob

What else to practice?

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Hey guys, I'm a sophomore in high school, I marched center snare for outdoor and am currently drumming with my indoor line too. Marching a corps someday is one of my life goals and passions. That being said, here's a list of my current excercises that I study and try to practice regularly (I actually practice them btw, not just for fun):

Eights
16th Note Rolls
Triplet Rolls
Cheesy Poofs
Flash Gordon
Schlitz and Giggles
Flammus
Flow Paradiddling (Bluecoats 2009)

So I'm an obvious SCV fan but their excercises are so badass it's not even funny, haha. But What should I add? What's missing? Thank you all for the help 8)

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Re: What else to practice?

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:42 pm

If you like SCV stuff, check out "Basic Strokes." I bought that one years ago and it's still one of my favorites.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:46 pm

You should focus more on basic exercises than advanced SCV stuff. Anyway, you need to add some sort of buck exercise and just the basic Sanford double beat. And practice everything at every dynamic possible, especially the low end.
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:53 pm

+1 on Basic strokes. I'd also add an A/T, double beat, 16th note timing, and triple/duple based grids. "Go" could be another cool option.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 pm

+1 for 16th note timing
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 am

Advanced exercises are fun. Depending on the way you learn, they may absolutely be for you.
Personally, I've never really benefitted from an exercise that didn't break down and attack fundamental movement. It's cool if you throw extended rolls and shots into that flam exercise, but what does that have to do with flams? But that's just me - isolate the skills, then incorporate.

The most underrated exercise in anyone's arsenal is accent-tap. I'm not entirely too familiar with some of the advanced exercises, but I didn't notice one exclusively dedicated accent-tap exercise. As has been reccomended, that should be included. Most importantly, maybe down the road, find one that begins to incorporate other skills (as that's the application of the accent-tap skill). An absolute favorite of mine is to add isolated double and triple strokes at tap height, within the accent structure.

Coming off that, I didn't see any grids in that lineup. Doesn't matter what you're gridding, just grid it. Then grid it again. Then grid it differently - backwards, frontwards, upwards, however. Start with accents - a great progression from isolated hand accent-tap and eights. A double paraddidle accent grid provides you with just about every accent-tap possibility you'll run into (a personal favorite).

At the end of the day, exercises aren't necessarily meant to teach you how to play something, but how to play something better. In other words, I didn't need to incorporate an exercise into my daily playing to learn how to play 5-lets. But, the exercises and skills I worked on daily allowed me to play 5-lets with outstanding sound quality and in different variations, when I did come across them.

Back off the cool, impress the ladies stuff, and start to pick up some of the more self-evaluating material. Focus on sound quality and rhythmic interpretation, and everything else will be a breeze. You'll come back to those advanced exercises and really hear a difference in the way you are/were playing them.

I'm sure you've done all this, at some point, and thought you were fit to move on - no one ever is. Revisit it with better ears, better hands, and more maturity. Re-evaluate, and see where it takes you. Best of luck.

ExtensionChord Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 am

Hey thanks, this helps alot! My snare teacher has been working the the Stick Control book by George Stone, that one seems like a really good basics excercise book.

EcstaticRush Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:39 am

Where did you get Flammus????That one is so beast.... But I would recommend an even mix of chop building and mental exercises. I have none in particular but I'm sure you'd be able to find some.
Ȍ͓̰͉̉ͪͫ̈́̐̓͠N̨̗̹͓̪̦̟̄̓̓ͣͩE̤̍ͣ̓̄ͧͧ ̢̬̠͍͔͚̈́̌̍O̢͗ͮF̜͎̰̯̩͔̟̽͘ ͈̪͓̫̠̕U̼̣̦̫ͦ̑̾ͭ͛̓S̄ͮ́̈ͧ͌͏̺̥͙̟̖̲

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Rubanks Intermediate Studies for the Drum :) or Advanced if you can handle it
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 pm

I like RCC Paradiddles, from 2013. Mini Three busts out the flam rudiments... Def. add bucks, double beat, and triplet/sixteenth grid. Stick Control and Rudimental logic are both incredible.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Take all the basics you think you know, and play them off the left.
Take all the basics you think you know, and add accented upstrokes.
Take all the basics you think you know, and add flams where accents are written.
Take all the basics you think you know, and invert the rudiments.
Take all the basics you think you know, and try re-combinations of the above.

Of course, this assumes you have mastered the PAS 40 in open-closed-open format. No? Well, there you go.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

c_maher12 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:19 am

Your current practice regimen currently lacks any fundamentals rehearsal excepting ‘Eights’, ‘16th Note Rolls’, and ‘Triplet Rolls’. I would highly recommend continuing to work from ‘Stick Control’ as that is THE book for technique, control, and coordination; along with a number of other important skill sets for percussionists. To answer your inquiry as to what is missing; there are literally hundreds of thousands of exercises on the web and in printed publications that can suit your needs.

P.S. - I would recommend working through ‘Stick Control’ and then returning to the other exercises you indicated. You will quickly realize the importance of truly practicing your basics.

Colin M

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Learn all of John S. Pratt's music. It teaches phrasing and musicality. And you will need chops to
play through his music because it doesn't stop. Of course this thread is more than a year old, so
you probably have mastered it all by now. :lol:

And don't forget to learn Mitch Markovitch's "Tornado" & "Stamina" at the indicated tempo
using the heights that Mitch used on a mylar drum head.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:17 am

FerreusOpus wrote:If you like SCV stuff, check out "Basic Strokes." I bought that one years ago and it's still one of my favorites.
Is this the one from 2004?
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.