Hybrid rudiments

discuss exercises posted on snarescience.com, or submit your own

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Hybrid rudiments

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Looking for some good rudiments to get my chops up. Any suggestions?

drummer707tenors Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Hybrid rudiments

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Chutra-Cheeses

Its like a Flam double drag. with a cheese on the second diddle.

so

(Right flam)(left diddle)(right tap)(left cheese)(right tap)+(Left flam)(right diddle)(left tap)(right cheese)(left tap)= Chutra cheese.
swissflamdrag wrote:
drum214 wrote:What happend with phantom? They were always first in percussion.
everyone has bad nights
tommyservo7 wrote:
swissflamdrag wrote:
drum214 wrote:What happend with phantom? They were always first in percussion.
everyone has to go up against the bluecoats
fixed

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm

drummer707tenors wrote:Chutra-Cheeses

Its like a Flam double drag. with a cheese on the second diddle.

so

(Right flam)(left diddle)(right tap)(left cheese)(right tap)+(Left flam)(right diddle)(left tap)(right cheese)(left tap)= Chutra cheese.
Yeah I do something similar to that one. It's basically a cheese then a flam drag then 2 flams leading to the opposite hand cheese and repeat.
R Cheese-left tap-right flam drag- L flam- L flam cheese-right tap-L flam drag

FatGocks Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:46 am

Cheese fives get the chops burning. Good ol' double and triple beat is always a fan favorite.
Troop '10

Boston '11-'12

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns are kick asss.

optsyn Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 am

If you REALLY want to get your chops up.... play extended rolls exercises like 8 and 25 for 30-40 minutes a day. That will really bring your chops up. Hybrids aren't really designed to "give you chops". That's what the basics are for.

But... if you want to play through some choppy hybrid rudiments, check out bookmarks.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm actually mainly looking for original hybrid rudiments to add to my vocabulary.

and hybrids DO build chops. Try doing the Book report for an hour every night and in a week tell me they don't build chops :P.

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Sure, but not nearly to the effectiveness and extent that an exercise would provide. Plus, while you're "building your chops" on hybrid rudiments, you're struggling to get the notes out, let alone even, proper heights, etc. Hit the gym, then hit the obstacle course (always after stretching, of course! And some more to finish with!).

I agree on the chop building statement. Once you're thoroughly warmed up and stretched out, play long roll exercises til your arms fall off, and then play some more.

It's been a while, but a buddy of mine showed me a hybrid called the "nucheda" (spelling?). If I remember right, it's a 5-let book report variation with a cheese on the downbeat accent, an opposite hand tap following, same hand as the downbeat with tap-height flams for the next two beats, and a cheese on the same hand for the fifth beat. It would go:

R cheese accented
L tap
R flam tap height
R flam tap height
R cheese tap height
Reverse

I may be completely off. It's been two years since he showed me, so I'd appreciate clarification from anyone on it. I think I likely threw some stuff in there, more so than what was there originally (an extra cheese, maybe?). And, if no one has ever heard of it, I call it!!! :D :P

FiveAndUhSixUh Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 am

TVOham wrote:I'm actually mainly looking for original hybrid rudiments to add to my vocabulary.

and hybrids DO build chops. Try doing the Book report for an hour every night and in a week tell me they don't build chops :P.
Take it from a guy who played exercises like tap pyramid ad 8th note flams all summer, you'll gain twice the chops in half the time if you really stress the basic things :P . And like Kevin said, play a roll for 10 minutes without stopping and see if that doesn't give you way better results. Also, take an exercise like Double Beat, and play it over and over playing it once as written, and three times on just your left hand, then all double stops, and repeat that. Once you can do that and have it all sound the same with minimum effort, you'll be able to play any rudiment you want :P
ASU Snare 2009-2011
Academy Snare 2010
Mosaic Snare 2011
Dark Sky Percussion Snare 2012
Arizona Cardinals Snare

Randall112 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Pillows and heavy sticks, eights, three camps.

duderonomy Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:38 pm

the pillow is a myth. if anything, play on something with loads of rebound so you learn how to negotiate and control it.
The OFFICIAL Official John Donovan dot BIZ Fan Club BADGE!
Get your own by copying the above link, and posting it on your SIG!!!
Thanks to FutureBDCenter for making such an awesome badge. Doing it the way only a DCI WORLD CHAMPION could do.

Randall112 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 pm

duderonomy wrote:the pillow is a myth. if anything, play on something with loads of rebound so you learn how to negotiate and control it.
I like to use da pillow.

malletbuster Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 am

Bush Snare KT wrote:If you REALLY want to get your chops up.... play extended rolls exercises like 8 and 25 for 30-40 minutes a day. That will really bring your chops up. Hybrids aren't really designed to "give you chops". That's what the basics are for.
Yeah, and accent em so its BUDAbadabadabadabadaBUDAbadabadabadabadaBUDAbadabadaBUDAbadabada.
Bass; Hey, pit kid, get me water
Pit kid; My name is GET YOUR OWN FRIKIN WATER
Colorguard; Hey pit, be louder
Pit kid; DANCE
My opinions reflect directly upon any and all groups I am associated with, particularly of the Chinese government and NASA

ZJSchlegel Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 am

Randall112 wrote:
duderonomy wrote:the pillow is a myth. if anything, play on something with loads of rebound so you learn how to negotiate and control it.
I like to use da pillow.
Using a pillow will do more harm than good.
Northern Lehigh HS
2009 (Tenors) Shades
2010 (Tenors/Pit) Vesuvius
2011 (Tenors) Exceptional
2012 (Snare) Nightfall Capers

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 am

Why do say that? ^
dlinebass5 wrote:Sure, but not nearly to the effectiveness and extent that an exercise would provide. Plus, while you're "building your chops" on hybrid rudiments, you're struggling to get the notes out, let alone even, proper heights, etc. Hit the gym, then hit the obstacle course (always after stretching, of course! And some more to finish with!).

I agree on the chop building statement. Once you're thoroughly warmed up and stretched out, play long roll exercises til your arms fall off, and then play some more.

It's been a while, but a buddy of mine showed me a hybrid called the "nucheda" (spelling?). If I remember right, it's a 5-let book report variation with a cheese on the downbeat accent, an opposite hand tap following, same hand as the downbeat with tap-height flams for the next two beats, and a cheese on the same hand for the fifth beat. It would go:

R cheese accented
L tap
R flam tap height
R flam tap height
R cheese tap height
Reverse

I may be completely off. It's been two years since he showed me, so I'd appreciate clarification from anyone on it. I think I likely threw some stuff in there, more so than what was there originally (an extra cheese, maybe?). And, if no one has ever heard of it, I call it!!! :D :P
Do you mean this? http://www.vicfirth.com/education/hybrids/nuttchada.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, like most everyone else has said, get the 40 essential down first. After that, the hybrids should come into play. For a good reference, check out Vic Firth's rudiment page, they give you tempos to work at.
Percussioning since 2003.

ZJSchlegel Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Let me rephrase that. It can do more harm than good. It can wear down the cartilage in your wrist and you can get some really bad arthritis.
Northern Lehigh HS
2009 (Tenors) Shades

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 am

How do you know this?

ZJSchlegel Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 am

My percussion instructor heard me and some friends talking about using pillows to build chops and he told us what could happen.
Northern Lehigh HS
2009 (Tenors) Shades

NGPercussion Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:35 pm

But who is your instructor? What research has he done on the subject? I'm not trying to discredit anyone or anything, I would just be interested in knowing why he thinks that pillows are bad.

ZJSchlegel Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:54 pm

His name is Jason Steigerwalt. I'm not sure where he found this out, but I'll ask him when I see him.
Northern Lehigh HS
2009 (Tenors) Shades

iDrum Offline

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

I know a crap load of people new school and old school and i've never heard of anybody getting hurt by it. You see more people getting carpal tunnel and arthritis because of bad technique that they were taught in drum corps than people playing on pillows. Now i'm not saying playing on a pillow can't give you arthritis or whatever. i just haven't foound that to be a big issue.

optsyn Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Playing on a pillow, in my opinion, is a bad idea.

Not because of the harm it may cause (which I don't know about one way or the other)... but simply because it teaches you NOT to utilize rebound.

If anything, I'd play on a pad with excessive rebound while building chops. Efficiently negotiating natural rebound is where it's at.

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm

NGPercussion wrote:
Do you mean this? http://www.vicfirth.com/education/hybrids/nuttchada.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, like most everyone else has said, get the 40 essential down first. After that, the hybrids should come into play. For a good reference, check out Vic Firth's rudiment page, they give you tempos to work at.
Yes! Nailed it. My thanks :) I think I had the variation he threw at me in mind. He called it a "nuttchada report". Yup, just put book reports together with nuttchedas. It was pretty challenging. Again, thanks for the heads up. Good call.

ZJSchlegel Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 am

Well I talked to my instructor last night and he said that one of his old friends would use a pillow all the time and said that he eventually developed some pretty bad arthritis. Then he said he did some research on it and like talked to a doctor and the doctor told him that it is possible to develop arthritis from using a pillow.
Northern Lehigh HS
2009 (Tenors) Shades

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 am

The way to get chops. . .is by playing on a drum :-O. Why practice a way you won't perform? I know a lot of people can't play on a drum most of the time, but why play on a reboundless pillow, when you could play on a pad that feels like a drum? If you play on a drum-like pad (invader, , slimpad, etc.) then your chops may come a hair slower (even though I disagree) but you'll have little to no pad hands. Chops+pad hands<slightly less chops-pad hands.
Chris
SLD 05 Plates Music of Styx
SLD 06 Plates Music of the Moody Blues
SLD 07 Snare (finally) A Latin Experience
SLD 08 Center Snare La Nouba
Carolina Gold 07 Snare Deja Vu

iDrum Offline

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:29 am

I dont play on pillow that has zero rebound. I choose a pillow thats packed really well with cotton. Playing on a pillow strengthens muscles that you cant develop on a pad or drum. I dont see how this is a problem.