discussion of the snarescience.com PracticePad

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Practice Routine: Bass Drummer's Bread and Butter - Beginner

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 pm

http://www.snarescience.com/practicerou ... xsW5LlNqtt

A half-hour routine I put together for bass line of the school I teach. These are all the exercises available on here that I feel are the most fundamental for a bass drummer. I'd love to hear some feedback on it before I put together the Intermediate and Advanced modules.
Kyle Herring

Got a score you want cleaned up? Need quality audio files and click tracks for your group? PM me. I have Sibelius 7, VDL 2.5, and more free time than I'm comfortable with.

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Westlake High School (Westlake, LA)
Caption Head 11-present

St. Louis Catholic High School

particleplatypus Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Practice Routine: Bass Drummer's Bread and Butter - Begi

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:46 pm

My 2c
From having to teach really beginner basses for two years, the singles especially are cookin a little too fast for beginners. Like 16th singles at 240 is what i would expect to see from rhythm x snares. I would say the timing is super critical, so that 16th timing excercise is good stuff. I would push the split work though, going from quarters to 2s to 3s and 4s. As long as everybody can do interpretations pretty well and has some moderately solid chops (comfortably play eights at like 180ish) you can do some realllyyyy solid splits with quick single stroke 2s, 3s, and 4s. I would throw in something that challeges the brain more than just chops. Some duple triple stuff and that fivelet grid could work haha.
GMHS '11 "The Sound of Music"
MHS '13 "The Pursuit of Hapiness"
MHS '14 "The Other Side of the Rainbow"

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:36 am

particleplatypus wrote:My 2c
From having to teach really beginner basses for two years, the singles especially are cookin a little too fast for beginners. Like 16th singles at 240 is what i would expect to see from rhythm x snares. I would say the timing is super critical, so that 16th timing excercise is good stuff. I would push the split work though, going from quarters to 2s to 3s and 4s. As long as everybody can do interpretations pretty well and has some moderately solid chops (comfortably play eights at like 180ish) you can do some realllyyyy solid splits with quick single stroke 2s, 3s, and 4s. I would throw in something that challeges the brain more than just chops. Some duple triple stuff and that fivelet grid could work haha.
^This. I've never been known for my chops but I could barely make it half way through!
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:36 am

on freedrumlinemusic.com there is an excersize called rythm controller (check spelling) and it is basically the same thing but isolated for hands and works in the rim at the end, anything can be fine tuned for a specific group, but it REALLY burns your chops when you get going... made our bass line WAY better and faster with timing and chops. check it out :)
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.