So What are you majoring in/planning on majoring in?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

pk92 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: So What are you majoring in/planning on majoring in?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:25 pm

percphreak wrote:in a perfect world
BYU or NAU- Music Education-bachelors degree
BYU or NAU-Minor in Composition or/and Voice
somewhere I can get a masters and doctorate in percussion performance
Are you mormon? If so, I highly recommend the University of Utah (which is where I go).

I've seen both percussion programs, and I'd have to say that the U has a much better program. If you're going to do marching band in college, the U also has a much much better drumline than BYU. Example, the U plays in the zones. BYU's zones were up by the logo as far away as possible. And they play with baby drums. And have the sound quality of an ok high school. And their football team sucks.

But in all honesty, I highly recommend the U for music education. It's great here!
Bush Snare KT wrote: we've grown a reputation over the years for coming from behind and surprising folks.
NVHS Drumline
2009 Tenors

University of Utah
10-11 Tenors

http://paulkeeem.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pgilreath1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:19 pm

I still have a couple of years to go before I get to college, but I plan on attending the University of South Alabama and majoring in Music Education.
Robertsdale High School 2010-2014
University of Southern Mississippi 2014-2018
Music City Drum Corps 2015-2016
Madison Scouts 2017

Shotbuzzz Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:27 pm

I have been sent two letters from Julliard School of Music. They also offered me scholorships. haha. Maybe there. Or become a Aeronomical Engineer at one of the UC's. Probably UCLA.

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Shotbuzzz wrote:I have been sent two letters from Julliard School of Music. They also offered me scholorships. haha. Maybe there. Or become a Aeronomical Engineer at one of the UC's. Probably UCLA.
Aeronomical? Shouldn't you be able to spell your potential degree field, or the school? It's Juilliard, not Julliard. When did you audition for them? I mean you must have flown up to New York to have auditioned for them to be offered a scholarship right?

Anyone else want to call shenanigans on this one?

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:45 pm

billc36 wrote:
Shotbuzzz wrote:I have been sent two letters from Julliard School of Music. They also offered me scholorships. haha. Maybe there. Or become a Aeronomical Engineer at one of the UC's. Probably UCLA.
Aeronomical? Shouldn't you be able to spell your potential degree field, or the school? It's Juilliard, not Julliard. When did you audition for them? I mean you must have flown up to New York to have auditioned for them to be offered a scholarship right?

I've only heard of a couple of rare cases were Juliard actually offers scholarships, and usually it tends to be winds or strings prodigies who get them. I call bull until I see a picture of the scholarship offer.

Can a mod please merge this thread and the other one that's right underneath it.

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:30 pm

pablodurando wrote:
billc36 wrote:

I've only heard of a couple of rare cases were Juliard actually offers scholarships , and usually it tends to be winds or strings prodigies who get them. I call bull until I see a picture of the scholarship offer.

Can a mod please merge this thread and the other one that's right underneath it.
Juilliard Website wrote: In fact, 80 percent of our admitted students receive scholarship support through Juilliard
http://www.juilliard.edu/apply/financial-aid/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Hertaz wrote:
pablodurando wrote:
billc36 wrote:

I've only heard of a couple of rare cases were Juliard actually offers scholarships , and usually it tends to be winds or strings prodigies who get them. I call bull until I see a picture of the scholarship offer.

Juilliard Website wrote: In fact, 80 percent of our admitted students receive scholarship support through Juilliard
http://www.juilliard.edu/apply/financial-aid/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well I'll be a *insert redneck joke here*. I had no idea, but I still want a photo.

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 pm

pablodurando wrote:
Hertaz wrote:
pablodurando wrote:

Well I'll be a *insert redneck joke here*. I had no idea, but I still want a photo.

Yeah, I agree. You'd still have to be pretty dang talented to get offered a scholarship.
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

DrBeatPHD Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:52 am

Major in Civil & Environmental Engineering
Minor in Music Production

Hopefully
2010 Chattahoochee HS Tenors
2011 Chattahoochee HS Snare

padmadness Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Major in Computer Science, and minor in Music Production, SUNY Farmingdale hopefully, but i'm not sure if they do music.
Anderson Middle School 2010 3rd/4th Bass-Tenors
Aquarius Percussion 2011 Front Ensemble
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunter.iemmolo
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/padmadness?feature=mhee

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:19 pm

billc36 wrote:

yeah, i was just about to do that. What did you play at your auditions?
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

DrBeatPHD Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:23 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
billc36 wrote:

SHENANERGAINS
2010 Chattahoochee HS Tenors
2011 Chattahoochee HS Snare

Snare2012 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

I'll be going to college next year in the Fall of 2012. I'm planning on majoring in Biological Engineering focusing on the agricultural aspect of it. Biology is the shizz!!!

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
billc36 wrote:

yeah, i was just about to do that. What did you play at your auditions?
Flight of the Bumblebee at about 268 BPM. Follow by the entire right of spring opening solo on a set of crotales . Duh!
And the Piece De Resistance was his version of Canon in D done with solely with a cowbell.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 am

I think if I ever want to switch majors, I'm going to major in Classics-Concentration in Ancient Greek. Or just minor in it. I find Ancient Greece very fascinating.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 am

I think if I ever want to switch majors, I'm going to major in Classics-Concentration in Ancient Greek. Or just minor in it. I find Ancient Greece very fascinating.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WallsDZ Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:35 am

Damn, not many science majors here.

I go to the University of Texas at Austin and am majoring in chemistry.

I'm doing a lot of research stuff so we'll see where that takes me. When I graduate a year and a half from now I might go into grad school somewhere to be a slave to the powers that be, or peace corps, or just get a job, or maybe join the Air Force and get my butt in shape to try and become a P.J. I think saving lives for a living would be the most gratifying thing in the world.

Gosh, now that I think about it, I really don't know what I want to do with my life.
I go to the University of Texas at Austin and play drums. Yep.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:23 pm

I'd love to major in music, but I'd also like to get a job that pays well. Those two don't mix too well. Probably gonna either do a double major, music composition and (something else) or minor in music composition. No clue what the something else is :/
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Spring admit at USC. Gonna try and get into the composition studio for the fall semester. Planning a major in Music Composition and a minor in Music Recording. Not sure on the minor though. Thought about double majoring in Piano Performance or a minor in Jazz Studies or something. I dunno. Playing it by ear.

What up, SoCal?
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

BigDiehl414 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Music Education @ the University of Akron
OHS Drumline 07'-11'
07'-Bass
08'-10'-Snare
11'-Tenorz
University of Akron Drumline 12'-16'

https://twitter.com/#!/No_Big_Diehl

AlexSkov Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Music Education and Percussion Performance at Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Environmental Studies at University of Washington Bothell, focused on wetlands restoration. Career wise I'm planning on going into sports photography for a while before I do the wetlands thing.

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 am

I need some advice.
I'm wanting to double major in music and business administration but I'm not sure if it's a smart thing to do. Would it be better to focus on one more than the other? I just don't want to minor in music because I want to expand my music knowledge as far as I can.
It'd be cool if anyone who double majors can help me make a decision.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:41 am

AlexSkov wrote:Music Education and Percussion Performance at Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.

Indiana? You must know Mike Mixtacki, then
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

ConorD Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

I used to be doing this:
ConorD wrote:I'm going to University of Michigan for my degree in chemistry in hopes to end up as a pharmacist some day. By the time I graduate I'll probably just happen to have enough credits for a math minor but that would just be an accident if that happened.
But that was dumb so right now I'm taking some time off school and next year I'm going to Ball State University for music composition and production.