So What are you majoring in/planning on majoring in?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Kaitou Offline

Re: So What are you majoring in/planning on majoring in?

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 pm

lij2015 wrote:I'm interested in computer science and music, whichever one isn't my major in is the minor.
I don't have a dream college or anything, just any decent school that doesn't cost a whole lot. If I don't get within about 3-6K being left due to the money in scholarships I'm gonna end up doing two years of CC then transferring.
Start looking for scholarships now if you haven't..it's never too early..I know people that started end of freshman year that actually get paid to go to school because they did such a good job of finding them
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:01 pm

I am double majoring in performance and minoring in ed i think and I'm not sure which college, probably ohio state or somewhere with a wicked marching band/line
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:33 pm

something music. duh
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner
Western Reserve Blue Devils Marching Band
7th: Marching Bells, Tin Can, Cowbell
8th: Quads
9th: Snare
10th: Snare
OMEA Junior High Honors Band: 2011 & 2012
OMEA High School Honors Band: 2014

boukenhxc Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am

Instrumental Music Ed. with maybe a minor (or maybe a double major) in creative writing.
I am definite about the Music Ed. degree but I could easily get a second degree, I'm just discerning what my double major/minor would be.
I'm one of those guys that just wants to learn everything (if that makes any sense). Contrary to a large demographic of teenagers, I have a thirst for knowledge. Anyways, I love writing, so that's why I'm discerning the creative writing degree.
And I also don't care about (making an abundance of) money, so. Ahaha.
The only musician you should try to be better than is the musician you were yesterday.
--------------------------------------
CHS Drumline: 2009-2014
CHS Center Snare/Section Leader: 2011-2014
CHS Assistant Band Director/Percussion Instructor: 2014
ULL Pride of Acadiana: 2014

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm

optsyn wrote:I majored in math. For you guys out there considering majors... really think about what the value of your degree will be once you graduate. Everyone pays the same price for tuition, but some majors are more sought after/valuable than others once you're finished and you're looking for a job in the 'real world'.

Think STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

Those areas will help you get a (well-paying) job quickly after graduation... which is definitely a good thing if you're taking out any sort of student loans.
vs.
hotbeats645 wrote: dude, following your dreams and doing something you like is way more fulfilling than doing something just for money.
I dont really post much anymore, but.....

I personally highly discourage obtaining degrees in anything other than STEM majors, as most of the work you'll end up doing with a music degree most likely will not pertain to music, because most people simply cannot make enough money off of music alone to live on. I'm not saying its impossible, because i know people who have done it, but when majoring in music (specifically performance) you run a very very high risk of spending 4 years and $40,000-$200,000 on getting a degree that will not get you any work.

In terms of engineering, in needs to be one of the main 5 or 6 (chemical (what i do), mechanical, electrical/computer/software, bio, aero)

In terms of the other 3.. I personally only recommend math as a minor, or as a double major with some kind of econ/actuarial/STEM degree, but do what you want, technology leaves less room for future advancement, and Science is really only good if you want to work in a research field, which will require a PhD or Masters.

regardless, do what you want. I just highly recommend getting a marketable degree. I'm not trying to stomp on someones dreams, but thats my .02
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 pm

MPolarinakis wrote:
optsyn wrote:I majored in math. For you guys out there considering majors... really think about what the value of your degree will be once you graduate. Everyone pays the same price for tuition, but some majors are more sought after/valuable than others once you're finished and you're looking for a job in the 'real world'.

Those areas will help you get a (well-paying) job quickly after graduation... which is definitely a good thing if you're taking out any sort of student loans.
vs.
hotbeats645 wrote: dude, following your dreams and doing something you like is way more fulfilling than doing something just for money.

I personally highly discourage obtaining degrees in anything other than STEM majors, as most of the work you'll end up doing with a music degree most likely will not pertain to music, because most people simply cannot make enough money off of music alone to live on. I'm not saying its impossible, because i know people who have done it, but when majoring in music (specifically performance) you run a very very high risk of spending 4 years and $40,000-$200,000 on getting a degree that will not get you any work.

In terms of engineering, in needs to be one of the main 5 or 6 (chemical (what i do), mechanical, electrical/computer/software, bio, aero)

In terms of the other 3.. I personally only recommend math as a minor, or as a double major with some kind of econ/actuarial/STEM degree, but do what you want, technology leaves less room for future advancement, and Science is really only good if you want to work in a research field, which will require a PhD or Masters.

regardless, do what you want. I just highly recommend getting a marketable degree. I'm not trying to stomp on someones dreams, but thats my .02
I would be completely wasting my time and money with a STEM degree
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

boukenhxc wrote:
agreeeeeeeed.
John Martin - 14 y/o composer, arranger, percussionist, pianist, Batman, polyglot, middle distance runner

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:34 pm

hurt-a wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:

vs.

I would be completely wasting my time and money with a STEM degree
Why would it be a waste? Do you not like it?
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 pm

gamertooth17 wrote:
boukenhxc wrote:
agreeeeeeeed.
You say that, but you're what 14-16? It gets a little bit different when you have to worry about paying for food, rent, car insurance, etc. it is extremely difficult to live off of a percussion teachers salary, especially if you're not directly employed by a school district, and you're just working part time with programs. Most STEM jobs exist within large companies that offer health insurance bonuses and retirement help as well, which is something that needs to be thought about long term.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

gamertooth17 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 pm

i don't have to be "just" a percussion instructor.

My piano teacher also gives other students lessons, and also works a part time job, and she gets by perty well.
oh..and along with gigs.

But yeah, i'm 14. i dont know stuff yet. :wink:

boukenhxc Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:31 pm

MPolarinakis wrote:
gamertooth17 wrote:
boukenhxc wrote:
agreeeeeeeed.
You say that, but you're what 14-16? It gets a little bit different when you have to worry about paying for food, rent, car insurance, etc. it is extremely difficult to live off of a percussion teachers salary, especially if you're not directly employed by a school district, and you're just working part time with programs. Most STEM jobs exist within large companies that offer health insurance bonuses and retirement help as well, which is something that needs to be thought about long term.
I'm a 17 y.o. senior going on 18, and I have a good idea of what to expect. I don't want to be JUST a percussion teacher, I want to be a band director. And on the side I plan on attempting to publish literature (musical and non-musical). And then there'd be private lessons for both drums, piano, and guitar. And then there's gigs.
The only musician you should try to be better than is the musician you were yesterday.
CHS Drumline: 2009-2014
CHS Center Snare/Section Leader: 2011-2014
CHS Assistant Band Director/Percussion Instructor: 2014
ULL Pride of Acadiana: 2014

corbinwillard12 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:30 am

I'm looking at getting a civil engineering degree from NC State... Hopefully, I can get a decent scholarship since I'm going to governor's school this summer! 8)
NSHS Drumline:
2011 - 2nd Bass
2012 - Quads
2013 - Quads (Percussion Captain)
2014 - Quads (Percussion Captain)

2015 - Auditioning for NCSU Quads

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Film!
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 am

My current major is going t be finance, but once I get to school i may change it to economics/minor in econ.

I love music, and i think it would be awesome to be an instructor or give lessons, but quite frankly, I know that cant support the lifestyle I want. And while yes, itd be awesome to do that for a living, I really do love economics. My dream would be to be an economic adviser for a fortune 500 company who during the summer judges dci shows. i know a couple of people who have majored in performance, and live perfectly satisfactory lives for people who are satisfied with being able to perform a lot. but I also want a family that is as well provided for as i am, and i want to give them more opportunity than i probably could by going for a strict music major. i will teach them to drum if they want, and they can major in whatever they want. but i see my dreams in the business world, and im gonna follow it.

*edit* i would actually love to be an accountant for a drum/stick company. that would be a perfect combination of eeverything I love.