Drum line this year

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Drum line this year

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Ok so I wanted to talk about my high schools snare line. We had auditions yesterday and I made snare along with three returning members and a freshman. So the returning members and I have been playing together for a long time and we are pretty solid but the freshman's technique isn't very good and I am not sure how we can help him get to our level with only 4 camp dates and a week of marching band camp. Also has anyone had experience with big age gaps in sections? Right now 3 of us are 16 one guy is 17 and the freshman is 13 I think. Sorry for being a bit irrelevant.
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

ammosnare Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Drum line this year

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:09 pm

As long as the kid has a good work ethic and has good role models for practicing and bettering himself, he should be fine. When I was in high school, I had a fairly close-knit drumline especially when it came to the skill level. I always worried about how the people in the next graduating class (c/o 2016, I graduated in 2014) would fare when a big majority of the talent graduated the past two years. The section leaders have stepped up and are telling everyone to practice and work hard and for the first audition camps there was a lot of improvement. As long as you are positive and strict when you need to be (I had a friend who was a dick to the person directly outside of him and they both resented him greatly, but he got better the year after I left), you should be fine

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:38 am

Imagining he will be at "your level" is shortsighted, and your goal being to get him to be as good as you will probably frustrate the hell out of him, and you, and I doubt your tech would like that either. Every year new meat will join the line. They probably won't be as good as you. It isn't your job to go 'work your butt off to get as good as me', even if you were a captain. The best way to help him is to encourage him, help with technique and control without sounding like a condescending jerk, and have fun playing and hacking around with him. Leave the "I'm better than you so I'm going to make you better" crap to your tech and you'll enjoy life so much more.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Just to clarify we don't have a tech any more it's just captain co captain and percussion director and he usually stays with front ens
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm

TheKingofNone wrote:Imagining he will be at "your level" is shortsighted, and your goal being to get him to be as good as you will probably frustrate the hell out of him, and you. Every year new meat will join the line. They probably won't be as good as you. It isn't your job to go 'work your butt off to get as good as me', even if you were a captain. The best way to help him is to encourage him, help with technique and control without sounding like a condescending jerk, and have fun playing and hacking around with him. Leave out the "I'm better than you so I'm going to make you better" crap and you'll enjoy life so much more.
Better?

GSUS '15

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:04 am

I agree with all the comments, so just my $0.02. This is the situation you WANT to have happen. You always want to have younger players filling in the ranks and learning how to get good and understanding what it takes. I think players in your position will always be left wondering "what could have been" but I'm confident it will be a lot better than what you fear. Just take that Freshman in, teach him or her that they need to get good and pay attention because you won't be there much longer and you want them to be successful, and watch the magic happen.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

Matt_1423 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:12 am

I was in a very similar situation my first year of high school as well. I was a Freshman who made the snare line. It was tough at first because obviously I had a lot to learn, but the other more experienced guys helped me out a lot and our director was always available when I needed assistance. Just make sure he's motivated and everything will be okay. It's also important to be patient and lead by example, he's going to make mistakes and it's better if you guys can support him rather than bash on him every time he ticks.
YoDemDiddlesBro wrote:However, he was probably born 99% inhuman beast badass.
Montwood High School
"Invasion" 2010 - Snare
"Elements" 2011 - Snare
"Dreamstate" 2012 - Center Snare
"Across the Universe" 2013 - Center Snare

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Another thought that came into mind is that everyone is different. Maybe this guy would appreciate someone taking him by the hand. Or maybe he's like me in that all he needs is the right motivation to work his tail off. My junior year i was pretty bad. I was behind a player quite a bit better than me, but who was cool and just hacked around with me and had fun. Then my tech wrote a book closer to his level and said if I can't play it he'd write an easy stock part and make Dylan's life miserable. Positive reinforcement from a peer, not wanting to hurt the line, and an eternal dream to become Ralph Nader was what I needed to get cracking. Maybe all you need to do is give him motivation to succeed...

GSUS '15

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Also, check yourself to make sure you're 100% solid before calling someone else's way of drumming "terrible".
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks for the comments everyone and I will take this all into consideration. My opninion has been officially changed about this years snare line :p
@thekingofnone I got your point the first time idk why I replied that way. I lolled at Ralph Nader