Picking a major

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

flamtaps5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Picking a major

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:56 pm

For all the college students on this site, how did you pick your major? My parents wanted me to pick a major really early so I could get a head start by taking advanced courses during my senior year. I've been accepted into the engineering program, but I don't really want to do engineering. Honestly, I really don't know what I want to do at all. I just told them engineering so they'd leave me alone.
Josh
I play snare.

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Next year I will be majoring in Finance and Accounting at Indiana University, although I may change the Accounting to Economic Consulting. My advice to you would be not to worry about it. I mean, obviously you have to do some thinking about it, but don't stress out a crazy amount about it. If you find something that you will be happy doing the rest of your life, you'll know. I was convinced I would have to be an engineer until my junior year of high school since my dad and brother both are, but once I took an economics class, it just blew my mind how interesting school could be. Anything you find interesting or fun to learn about, look into it. there are way more ways to apply everything you learn in school than people realize.

AlexSkov Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:52 pm

[quote="LilBuerck"]Next year I will be majoring in Finance and Accounting at Indiana University./quote]

Good choice!!!

drummeraaron Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Picking a major

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:30 pm

For me i just looked at everything i didn't want to do combined with the job i know i wanted (sales) and i talked to an advisor at my school and we set up a schedule to complete all of the requirements for my major (Management and Leadership) and my minor (Percussion Performance) And i'm sure with many schools you probably won't have to declare a major until the end of your sophomore year, so you have some time to explore and find what you really want
Legends 2013-Auxiliary Percussion
"A captain doesn't have to be loud. In fact if everyone does their job, there should be no reason to have to be loud." -spartey
"'Thank goodness they FINALLY made those snare drums a little bit lighter!'" - quad players" -awakentosleep
OAS AAS LLS Alpha Theta Spring '14

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:15 am

AlexSkov wrote:
LilBuerck wrote:Next year I will be majoring in Finance and Accounting at Indiana University./quote]

Good choice!!!
Lol thanks. I've been on a few visits and know the rep. The business school has there. I. Pretty stoked