Final course choices for senior year of HS

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

cobemon Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Final course choices for senior year of HS

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:01 pm

So, I just registered for my final classes this morning. But I'm kinda scared about them, because it involves 5 AP classes, and I'm pretty sure 4 of them will be in my last semester:

Fall:
Percussion H
Chem or Bio II H (pre req for AP)
Calc H (pre req for AP)
[one of the below classes]

Spring:
Chem/Bio AP
Calc AP
English IV AP (could be fall)
Physics AP (could be fall)
Psychology AP (could be fall)

I'm starting to be a little unsure about choosing these. Those in bold, I'm certain that I probably won't change. Not changing percussion just because drumline, and that class also needs me.
Those italicized, I may reconsider. The one underlined is kinda on the line (haha get it?)
I had chosen physics because I had one slot left to fill. I thought it may help me sometime in the future with basic physics knowledge, that I may be able to randomly engineer things in the future. I dont know if that reasoning is adequate enough for me to do it.
I chose Calc AP because its a common pathway for many people here that excel in math. However, another option would be for me to replace that with Stats AP, something more common than Calculus since its a bit easier, and more practical. If I choose not to do either calculus courses and just stick with stats, then it could leave room for me to put other courses.
However, I chose all those hard courses with the mentality [engrained by guidance counselors, teachers and college emails] that AP classes will help you prepare for college, give you potential college credit and raise your GPA. After asking some old friends of mine that graduated, some are saying that I don't need to do this and that I should have a little fun for my last year and take a little break. My mentality once again engrained by adults at school say that I shouldn't take this break, that college will only be harder. I dont know what I should pick.

I want your guys' input on this, preferably if you're past college, and being in college or a senior in high school may help as well.

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Final course choices for senior year of HS

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm

cobemon wrote: Fall:
Percussion H
Chem or Bio II H (pre req for AP)
Calc H (pre req for AP)
[one of the below classes]

Spring:
Chem/Bio AP
Calc AP
English IV AP (could be fall)
Physics AP (could be fall)
Psychology AP (could be fall)
This is completely dependent on what you want to do in collage.

If you're planning on being a music major, most of these classes are entirely irrelevant for the most part, and the only reason you would want to take any classes like this would be to possibly get credit for the courses and be able to take a few less hours during your time in college.

If you're planning on doing any kind of STEM major, I suggest you take Chem, Calc, and Physics. I found that AP English was significantly more difficult in highschool than it was in college, and I got a 5 on the AP Psych test without even taking the class, I just read the book the night before. You will probably need to retake calculus and physics once you get to college, and you should probably take the harder classes just to ensure you know how to do everything before you get there, which will allow you to pad your GPA for a couple semesters. You may want to check which calculus and Physics courses your highschool is offering, Calculus BC is significantly more useful than AB, and statistics is a useless class. Physics C (the one with 2 separate exams for mechanics and Electicity/Optics) is significantly more useful than Physics B, which is essentially just a basic physics class.

hope that helped
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:08 pm

I know how it is. I registered last week and I'm gonna be in AP Physics, AP Calc, AP Music Theory, and hopefully AP Computer Science. Just go with your strengths. You seem to be more of an english oriented guy, so maybe drop at least one of the AP Sciences if you're worried about grades. You have single semester classes? The only class at my school like that is all seniors have take Govn/Enonomics, one semester each.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

ohmycheese Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:14 am

AP English is meh. I'm not struggling with the concepts but I have to stop being lazy and do the work.

Taking only one AP class next year, ap English. Then physics, alg 3/pre-calc, psychology/sociology, band, guitar, and music tech. I have no idea what to major in.

I love music: quads, drum set, timpani... but I'm probably at beginner level for mallets.
I enjoy teaching others and helping my friend's to understand concepts in class. I don't really enjoy any subject besides English, Math, and music.
I know that I'm gonna become a pastor later in life, but until then I just need to find something to major in. My church recommends that I get at least an AA before joining their ministry school. I'll be the only child in my family to go to college. Only thing that's hard is trying to pay for college so I may join national guard. It's cool that the national guard by my house is a band. Some of my state's band directors or professionals are part of it. I could audition for their percussion section after I graduate.
Hawaii
DCI 2014

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 am

My two cents, whether it applies or not:
Don't take really high level classes purely because they're what comes next then that certain "track".
Like for me, i was in the highest math track, which would put me in AP Calc my senior year. Majority of my friends are in this track and I'd been in it since 8th grade. I mostly did classes cause i was "of that "smart kid" group". But then i realized....I'm not going to be majoring or even minoring in anything that would require high levels of math....why put myself through rigorous classes that are preparing me for something I'm not even aiming for? So at the beginning of this school year (junior), i dropped down a tier and now I'm in the 2nd highest math classes. My senior year i can still get dual credit and get some gen-ed credits out of the way.
To sum up, don't take rigorous classes just because that's what seems to follow next in your track, or to stay in the 'smart kid group' (i don't even know if that's relevant. Just something I've learned.)
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

cobemon Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Nathan Aaron wrote:My two cents, whether it applies or not:
Don't take really high level classes purely because they're what comes next then that certain "track".
Like for me, i was in the highest math track, which would put me in AP Calc my senior year. Majority of my friends are in this track and I'd been in it since 8th grade. I mostly did classes cause i was "of that "smart kid" group". But then i realized....I'm not going to be majoring or even minoring in anything that would require high levels of math....why put myself through rigorous classes that are preparing me for something I'm not even aiming for? So at the beginning of this school year (junior), i dropped down a tier and now I'm in the 2nd highest math classes. My senior year i can still get dual credit and get some gen-ed credits out of the way.
To sum up, don't take rigorous classes just because that's what seems to follow next in your track, or to stay in the 'smart kid group' (i don't even know if that's relevant. Just something I've learned.)
this is very relevant, as im in that 'smart kid' group in my class, and have been since middle school.
many people have told me to take courses based on what i want in college. but i havent concretely decided. ive considered things like pharmacy, music therapy, computer science and nursing, but i really dont know what i want to do.

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:13 pm

cobemon wrote:this is very relevant, as im in that 'smart kid' group in my class, and have been since middle school.
many people have told me to take courses based on what i want in college. but i havent concretely decided. ive considered things like pharmacy, music therapy, computer science and nursing, but i really dont know what i want to do.
Three of those (the bolded ones) are all in the same general field. For things like that, focus on sciences. I'm not sure if those are ALL of the things you're interested in, though. Look at the things you'd like to see yourself doing in the future and try and find a common field. Keep things like job availability, how long you'd like to school, and how much you'd like that job in mind.

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to do a LOT of things: music composition, music education, field biology, conservation, science education, graphic design, photography, journalism, and photo-journalism. That's a lot of things. Too many things. So I asked myself what were the most reasonable careers, and which ones were more likely to become hobbies (that could be embellished later in life). I also asked myself which ones would provide good opportunities. Now, I'm not saying to focus on this. Don't kill your dreams. I myself am a realist to a fault, so I have to remind myself to also aim for things that I love and I'm good at.
Last edited by Nathan Aaron on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 pm

I personally would say to solely look at what you want for the rest of your life, and base your courses off of that. Every school has the "smart kids" that get thrown into the advanced classes. I'm one of those, and I've taken the most advanced of everything I could (unfortunately my school doesn't offer ap, but does have dual credit).
My father is an engineer, my brother is going to be an engineer, and it was always assumed I'd be an engineer. It wasn't untily sophomore year (I'm a senior) that I realized I didn't wanna do that and I wanted to do business. Now, in my case, there isn't really anything else to take that would be any more helpful than the advanced courses anyway, so I didn't have much of a choice. Plus, having calc. Will still come in handy, and I took physics because I do have that slight engineers spark of curiosity about the world anyway. But I did drop my schools advanced chemistry course (my teacher models it after her college chem course [she went to u of I]) and i instead took community service to be a blow off because I wanted to have one class less of homework to worry about to go along with my job, extracurriculars, and drumming. Don't think that because its hard means its is worth it. Don't look at course difficulty, look at the practicality of it and how it will apply to you. If you're interested, take it. Even if its hard, it'll be worth it. If it will be useful in the long run, take it. If its hard now when you have a teacher that knows your name, it'll be a lot harder at college. And if you just don't give a poop about a class and think it sounds like a waste, don't take it. Follow your gut on this. Nobody else knows what is best for you.