Best Music College?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Best Music College?

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:10 pm

I live in Bradenton, Florida and I was wondering what are some good music colleges. I am interested in Music Performance and Education, I have 3.5ish GPA, and I can't pay for my tuition.

Thanks!
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

billc36 Offline

Re: Best Music College?

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 am

You can't pay for tuition, or you're too lazy to get a job to help pay for tuition? Or are you too lazy to fill out the necessary paperwork, or do the research for grants, scholarships and student loans?

Favorite music colleges have been discussed quite a bit on this site in the past. Do a quick search and you'll find many threads already in existence.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 am

billc36 wrote:You can't pay for tuition, or you're too lazy to get a job to help pay for tuition? Or are you too lazy to fill out the necessary paperwork, or do the research for grants, scholarships and student loans?

Favorite music colleges have been discussed quite a bit on this site in the past. Do a quick search and you'll find many threads already in existence.
Because music majors have time to work enough to pay tuition
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:45 pm

billc36 wrote:You can't pay for tuition, or you're too lazy to get a job to help pay for tuition? Or are you too lazy to fill out the necessary paperwork, or do the research for grants, scholarships and student loans?

This^^^
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

Jason Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:06 pm

I meant I don't have a college fund, I will apply for scholarships and a job while im going to school
¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸..Jå$øn..¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,¸...............¸,¤°ˆˆ°¤,..
...............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ.............D®µm G33K............ˆ°¤,¸¸,¤°ˆ..............

'12-'13 MHS Alto Sax "Latin Heat"
'13-'14 MHS Flute "Riverdance"
'14-'15 MHS Marimba "Styx"
'15-'16 MHS Snare "Hard Rock"
billc36 wrote:My posts are mine and mine alone.

billc36 Offline

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 pm

hurt-a wrote:

I found time. All my roommates found time. Most the people I hung out with that were music majors found time.

My posts are mine and mine alone.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 pm

billc36 wrote:
hurt-a wrote:

I found time. All my roommates found time. Most the people I hung out with that were music majors found time.
I think unless he's going to an in-state public school, Jason is going to have a near-impossible time paying for his education with a job.

On the other hand, at my school, the music majors I know have more free time than most people, even after they're done practicing for whatever music majors practice for (I acknowledge my ignorance here). Most pick up a second major, and those that don't often graduate early.

I'm not saying majoring in music is easy by any means, but from my observations it is far easier to find time to work a job majoring in music than in engineering or science.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

AlexSkov Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:07 am

tommyservo7 wrote: I'm not saying majoring in music is easy by any means, but from my observations it is far easier to find time to work a job majoring in music than in engineering or science.
I think that just depends on how much work you put into your education. I know a lot of music majors at my school that do 2-3 hours of practicing a day and can go out and work. I also know many people that practice 6-8 hours a day and have no free time during the week. If you do not want to put in a lot of work, then your free time will increase. If you spend a lot of time practicing and studying, then it might be harder to find time to work.

roastduck Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:26 am

Typical day for me this semester as a music ed major:

Class from about 8 till noon
After noon, I either have wind symphony rehearsal, or I practice.
Mondays and Wednesdays, I teach my high school line until 5
Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have evening classes from 3:30 until 7, then I practice
Friday nights were high school football games

Monday and Wednesday nights I work retail straight after rehearsal. I also work weekends, when there isn't a marching band competition.

Overall, I work retail maybe 15-20 hours a week and teach 10-15, on top of my classes. I'm also about to pick up 4 private students, so that's another 4 hours of work on saturdays. All this in addition to class, homework, and minimum 2 hours of practice per day.
Kyle Herring

Got a score you want cleaned up? Need quality audio files and click tracks for your group? PM me. I have Sibelius 7, VDL 2.5, and more free time than I'm comfortable with.

McNeese State University
Bass 08-10

Sam Houston High School
Instructor 08-11

Westlake High School (Westlake, LA)
Caption Head 11-present

St. Louis Catholic High School

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 am

I do work. But I don't have time during the week to leave campus to go to my job so I only work Sat-Sun and make like $100
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!