Where are you majoring in percussion?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Where are you majoring in percussion?

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 pm

FerreusOpus wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:literally all those fall under playing and teaching... except cleaning hardware, and if your life inspiration is to clean someone elses hardware you dont need a degree.

also most performace jobs outside of like studios/professional orchestras are almost purely based on how good at band you are, and are done via audition, and a playing resume, not based on where you got your degree, or if you have a degree. If I'm wrong on that let me know, but im pretty sure im right.
No argument coming from me. I don't even know what a Percussion Performance degree entails, so I'm just going off what it kind of sounds like. How do those fall under teaching though? Those falling under playing make sense though; isn't that what percussion performance is? I do stand to be corrected, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to a degree other than Recording Arts.
Also, I would think if you have a degree in performance you'd be pretty good at band, right? I could be wrong, but then again, some people do skim their way through their classes.
playing and/or teaching. debatable on the degree=good part. if you did like 90% of your undergrad on marimba, it wont help you get a studio drumset gig.

we're on the same page lol
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 am

Music (specifically marching styled) majors rarely get anything money-wise in life.

I pretty much turned my drumming into a side-hobby, but you could always do what my friend did. We're both pre-medical majors looking to go to med school, but he still was able to march corps with Academy this year. It's just going to take twice the effort of a normal person.

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:12 pm

I got accepted to Penn State's school of music for percussion, but (regrettably) I switched majors last minute, so I'm not a music major.
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals