Where are you majoring in percussion?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Where are you majoring in percussion?

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm in the process of applying to colleges for next year. Top of my list is CU-Boulder, since I visited a few months back and loved the school/music program. It's a little bit of a stretch financially though, so I'm looking for some other options. Any suggestions for cheap(er) state schools with a good music program? Thanks
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Re: Where are you majoring in percussion?

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 pm

It depends on where you live, really. I go to a state school, but pay out of state tuition, but have enough scholarship money (both musical and academic) that it makes it essentially in-state cost. I've heard good things about Boulder, as far as schools in Colorado go. If your going to school for music though, price really can't be as big a deal-you might like what you're paying and totally hate who you're studying with, and then whats the point? my recommendation-take some sample lessons with some schools you've been looking at. Find out which professor and school you like. Then see what the price is, and then get a whole bunch of scholarships or aid if it's too pricey
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 pm

I don't really have a chance to take any sample lessons :/ I'm not looking to go in state or in a neighboring state (Washington, Oregon, or Idaho) and so I'd basically have to fly anywhere.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 am

ah, you're going to basically end up paying out of state tuition (more expensive) basically anywhere you go then. it's stupid that it costs that much, but thats why its worth checking out who you're studying with and know you can get along with them and learn from them and be successful-otherwise it's a waste of a lot of money. part of the reason i ended up not going to my original "first" choice was a combination of the price and not really vibing with the professor that well. Had I not taken the sample lesson or talked to him outside of the audition (you'll get interviewed at auditions, but you won't really have tons of time to talk because of the time schedule/other auditionees) i would have ended up spending over 50k a year to get a good education for sure, but with somebody I didn't really enjoy studying with. Now I'm paying like 10k a year studying with a bunch of dudes I like and still getting a great education and experience

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 am

Well thing is if I don't end up liking the program, I'd probably switch to a different major. I'm planning to minor in some form of engineering so I can go to grad school afterwards, and it probably would be simple enough to transfer over.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

swstarks Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 am

OKLAHOMA STATE
http://www.youtube.com/user/spstarks
http://www.facebook.com/#!/steven.starks.96

heem my creem.

"I'm quite fond of the manner in which you address me as your large father."

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:34 am

I guess my best advice would be to ask yourself what you want to get out of music with the rest of your life. Find a mentor who has life and musical experiences that you think can help get you there. Go where that person teaches. If it doesn't work out, try something else you like.

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 am

Buranri wrote:Well thing is if I don't end up liking the program, I'd probably switch to a different major. I'm planning to minor in some form of engineering so I can go to grad school afterwards, and it probably would be simple enough to transfer over.
What you may not realize is pretty much all engineering degrees are full 4 year programs, you can't minor in it. Even if you somehow found an engineering minor, did it, and got the minor. the chance of you getting into grad school with half a degree and a music degree for engineering are about 0%
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 am

MPolarinakis wrote:
Buranri wrote:Well thing is if I don't end up liking the program, I'd probably switch to a different major. I'm planning to minor in some form of engineering so I can go to grad school afterwards, and it probably would be simple enough to transfer over.
What you may not realize is pretty much all engineering degrees are full 4 year programs, you can't minor in it. Even if you somehow found an engineering minor, did it, and got the minor. the chance of you getting into grad school with half a degree and a music degree for engineering are about 0%
Yeahhh, never heard that. I've been told that UG majors are mostly irrelevant to grad school, no? Or is that more for other majors?
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:14 am

Buranri wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:
Yeahhh, never heard that. I've been told that UG majors are mostly irrelevant to grad school, no? Or is that more for other majors?
It's less relevant to liberal arts graduate programs, but you wont find an engineering grad program that will take you without a BS in engineering.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

HaViiK Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Why do you need to go to grad school for engineering? Only people that do that are those who want to teach it. Otherwise you go directly to training after your bachelors. Four years there then apply for your PE license.
-Steven Wright

Rustburg High School:
  • Bass 05, 06
    Snare 07, 09
    Tenor 08
    Instructor: 2010-Present, Undefeated in 2011

@Steven_HokieDT
http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm

HaViiK wrote:Why do you need to go to grad school for engineering? Only people that do that are those who want to teach it. Otherwise you go directly to training after your bachelors. Four years there then apply for your PE license.

you dont? you go onto a grad program if you want to do R&D.

i thought he was asking if it was possible to get into an engineering grad program with an engineering minor.

we're on the same page.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

HaViiK Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

MPolarinakis wrote:
HaViiK wrote:Why do you need to go to grad school for engineering? Only people that do that are those who want to teach it. Otherwise you go directly to training after your bachelors. Four years there then apply for your PE license.

you dont? you go onto a grad program if you want to do R&D.

i thought he was asking if it was possible to get into an engineering grad program with an engineering minor.

we're on the same page.
I don't know for sure, but I do know for Civil Engineering after I get my bachelors I can begin training. I was asking why he wanted to minor in engineering then go to grad school. Seems pointless.
-Steven Wright

Rustburg High School:
  • Bass 05, 06
    Snare 07, 09
    Tenor 08
    Instructor: 2010-Present, Undefeated in 2011

@Steven_HokieDT
http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Hopefully FSU one day
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

SCVfan51 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm looking/ auditioning at Old dominion, VCU, and western kentucky
PHS snare 09-12
Phoenix Blue Percussion snare 12: What if? (AIA PIA gold)
innoVAtion indoor snare 2013

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 am

I would recommend not majoring in percussion at all. Maybe get a minor in it.

Unless you want to live a very VERY financially strained life.

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 pm

That's why I'm probably not going to, as much as I'd like to. Money sucks.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 pm

If you get a degree in percussion performance you could have your own studio at a college and teach.
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 pm

if you get a degree in percussion performance, you can do a lot of things. It's all about what you do with what you learn.

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm

And how you sell yourself.
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:if you get a degree in percussion performance, you can do a lot of things. It's all about what you do with what you learn.
Like what? I'm honestly curious, since from what I've heard the opportunities for music majors outside of teaching and performance are fairly limited.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Buranri wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:if you get a degree in percussion performance, you can do a lot of things. It's all about what you do with what you learn.
Like what? I'm honestly curious, since from what I've heard the opportunities for music majors outside of teaching and performance are fairly limited.
You could look into getting a job as a studio drummer/percussionist. Many times when a band comes in to record a demo or an album things will go awry and they'll need fill in musicians.
You could also join a band on the side. If you can get started with a decent jazz group, look for corporate gigs (like banquets and things of that nature). Those are the ones that pay the most.
Going back to the studio gig, you can be a drum tech in a studio. Again, recording studios (and even touring shows for rock bands, etc.) will often have their own drums, which obviously need to be taken care of, so they'll hire on someone who can do just that.
I'm sure there's many more but those are the first ones that come to mind for me.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

FerreusOpus wrote:
Buranri wrote:
You could look into getting a job as a studio drummer/percussionist. Many times when a band comes in to record a demo or an album things will go awry and they'll need fill in musicians.
You could also join a band on the side. If you can get started with a decent jazz group, look for corporate gigs (like banquets and things of that nature). Those are the ones that pay the most.
Going back to the studio gig, you can be a drum tech in a studio. Again, recording studios (and even touring shows for rock bands, etc.) will often have their own drums, which obviously need to be taken care of, so they'll hire on someone who can do just that.
I'm sure there's many more but those are the first ones that come to mind for me.
literally all those fall under playing and teaching... except cleaning hardware, and if your life inspiration is to clean someone elses hardware you dont need a degree.

also most performace jobs outside of like studios/professional orchestras are almost purely based on how good at band you are, and are done via audition, and a playing resume, not based on where you got your degree, or if you have a degree. If I'm wrong on that let me know, but im pretty sure im right.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

MPolarinakis wrote:literally all those fall under playing and teaching... except cleaning hardware, and if your life inspiration is to clean someone elses hardware you dont need a degree.

also most performace jobs outside of like studios/professional orchestras are almost purely based on how good at band you are, and are done via audition, and a playing resume, not based on where you got your degree, or if you have a degree. If I'm wrong on that let me know, but im pretty sure im right.
No argument coming from me. I don't even know what a Percussion Performance degree entails, so I'm just going off what it kind of sounds like. How do those fall under teaching though? Those falling under playing make sense though; isn't that what percussion performance is? I do stand to be corrected, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to a degree other than Recording Arts.
Also, I would think if you have a degree in performance you'd be pretty good at band, right? I could be wrong, but then again, some people do skim their way through their classes.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:58 pm

The UMKC conservatory.
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..