Time Management

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Time Management

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:28 pm

I just started my senior year of high school. I have felt swamped by stuff to do so I thought I'd turn to you older, wiser people for help. I currently have to memorize marching band music, practice for college auditions, and keep progressing my rudimental drumming on top of keeping up my grades and work. What should I focus on and how can I get more out of time I do have?
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Time Management

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Its your choice what's most important to you. I think grades always need to come first. Use something like Google calendar to map out your time.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

FerreusOpus Offline
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm

When I get swamped like that I try and focus on one thing at a time. Sounds cliché but it seems to work pretty well. And what I mean is, set an hour aside for homework/studying and seriously focus on nothing but that for that hour. Same with drumming. Try to have some sort of a plan and attack things one at a time and don't feel like you have to fit it all into one day either. Don't be afraid to space things out over the course of a week or more which brings me to my next point. Do NOT wait to start working on something. If you're given an assignment that's due the next week, try to get as much done as early as you can so you don't feel stressed when the due date is approaching which will in turn allow you to better focus on other things. '
This is definitely one of those things that you have to experiment with to figure out what works best for you.
Youtube.com/FerreusOpus
QuadScience - http://www.snarescience.com/exercises/all-tnr.php
ImageImage

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely keep this in mind
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm

subdivide your life
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

AlexSkov Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 pm

You should get a calendar and plan out what you are going to do every day. That is what I have done and it works well with me. I will just give you an example of how I plan my day.

5-7:50 Wake up and go practice
8-8:50 Music Theory
9-11 Practice
11:15-12:05 Piano Class
12:20-1:10 Math
1:15-3:10 Homework. If none, practice.
3:20-5:45 Large Ensemble Rehearsal
6-9 Practice
9:01-12 Party

I had to do all of the same stuff you did last year and I did not have a problem getting in all of the practice and homework I needed to do. You should try going in to school early, going in during lunch, staying after school, and coming in early or staying late after after school ensembles to practice. If you structure you time out, you will find that you have a lot more time than you thought to get everything done.

cobemon Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:08 pm

if it gets really bad and its absolutely necessary, stop band and focus on grades. many of my friends had to do that their senior year.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:35 pm

cobemon wrote:if it gets really bad and its absolutely necessary, stop band and focus on grades. many of my friends had to do that their senior year.
...unless you are going to pursue music at some level in college...then stopping band will look bad on your resume/history. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

I used to divide my time up by when I was allowed to do things...I would get home from band at around 5. Get a snack. Play drums until about 8 or when it got dark, and then do homework. Or sometimes I would get home. Play set for a while, then eat, then do homework, and break up the monotony of homework with pad/rudimental stuff.

Honestly though (and everyone on this board will argue me down here), I did not do much homework...I got b's and C's and that was good enough for me. i still got into college and was able to do what I want in life. Colleges will not look solely on grades. They will also look to see what you did outside of academics, and how you kept up with that.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 pm

i got b's and c's, too. in classes i was forced to take that I had absolutely no interest in. the classes that I chose to take because of interest, I got A's in.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:10 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:i got b's and c's, too. in classes i was forced to take that I had absolutely no interest in. the classes that I chose to take because of interest, I got A's in.
Yup.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 pm

i am looking to pursue music in college, so dropping out of band is not an option. the hard part will be getting things done after working at my job 3-4 days a week.
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba

SnareSauce Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:25 pm

hurt-a wrote:i am looking to pursue music in college, so dropping out of band is not an option. the hard part will be getting things done after working at my job 3-4 days a week.

when you step backwards and think about it, in a year, you won't be stressed about it, and this will be over. no matter what happens, you're still you, you still love drumming, and you'll probably still be doing fine.

If you're pursuing music in college, then your plan is the same basic plan everybody elses is that wants to do music in college. Have good enough grades to get into college, and then, all your free time beyond studying and getting good grades is spent on music. If you need to, ask to be scheduled less at your job. or get used to trading every shift you get on a tuesday or thursday or something. a job right now only gets you extra spending money so you can buy things right now. but if you're going to college, a job won't help you because unless you're making tons of money, you still won't be able to pay for it without loans and scholarships. so the only thing the job is doing is hurting your grades and your music so you can have spending money.
Josh Detwiler

LCA Marching Bulldogs
Quads '06-'08 ~ Drum Captain '08-'09 ~ Drum Instructor '12
LU Spirit of the Mountain Marching Band
Quads '09-'12
LU Indoor Drumline
Quads '12
https://www.facebook.com/Snaresauce

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:18 pm

hurt-a wrote:i am looking to pursue music in college, so dropping out of band is not an option. the hard part will be getting things done after working at my job 3-4 days a week.
dude...cut the job back. You have 50 years of your life to have a job get in the way of what you want to do...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
dude...cut the job back. You have 50 years of your life to have a job get in the way of what you want to do...
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 am

For anyone looking to get organized and use time productively, I highly recommend the book, "Getting Things Done".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0142000280

This book seriously provides a system for everyday tasks that is like a life-hack, making it super easy to get a ton of stuff done. Speaking of that, I should reread this book and get back on the wagon. I have not been as productive lately as I would like to be.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:18 pm

The advice above about saying what you're going to do for the next hour is good. In this age of electronics, I think we all have fuzzy chunks of time where we hop on facebook or browse random internet stuff and it's a big waste. Make sure you can think back on your day and list off the things you did. If you can't, you had a fuzzy day and didn't get much done. It really helps me to do something and then say "I'm going to do this now" and then do it. Sounds dumb, but that mindset reduces wasted time.