Freshie

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [ 68 posts ]
Message
Author
pcs80 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm



Our school didn't even allow freshmen to take AP classes. They really didn't kick in until junior year. Sophomores only had one they could take. Not sure the reason why though.

Don't let us tell you who to hang out with. Decide that on your own. Generally around here band people hang out with other band people the most, even outside of band. They are usually closer to each other than friends you may have who are not in band just because, if you're in a marching band with a competition show, you're not going to see those other people as much for a while, at least not compared to the people who are in band with you. This of course does not mean that you can't have friends who are not in band, just that it's more likely that you'll be with band people more even outside of school/band stuff.

As already said, don't act like you know everything. You'll get everyone to dislike you really quickly if you try doing that.

Don't forget or lose your sticks, mallets, music, pencils, etc.

Make sure to keep track of your grades but don't stress yourself out. Take the classes you think you would do well in. Don't take an AP class if you don't think you're ready, and it's best not to take several at once unless you want to stay up until 2 AM on a school night doing AP homework. Take 1 or 2 each year (at least no more than that for now) and you should be able to handle it. If you know people in higher grades who have or are taking the classes, ask them about it. You may get a better idea.

Get very good at managing your time well especially if you're in marching band.


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:32 pm



pcs80 wrote:Our school didn't even allow freshmen to take AP classes. They really didn't kick in until junior year. Sophomores only had one they could take. Not sure the reason why though.

Don't let us tell you who to hang out with. Decide that on your own. Generally around here band people hang out with other band people the most, even outside of band. They are usually closer to each other than friends you may have who are not in band just because, if you're in a marching band with a competition show, you're not going to see those other people as much for a while, at least not compared to the people who are in band with you. This of course does not mean that you can't have friends who are not in band, just that it's more likely that you'll be with band people more even outside of school/band stuff.

As already said, don't act like you know everything. You'll get everyone to dislike you really quickly if you try doing that.

Don't forget or lose your sticks, mallets, music, pencils, etc.

Make sure to keep track of your grades but don't stress yourself out. Take the classes you think you would do well in. Don't take an AP class if you don't think you're ready, and it's best not to take several at once unless you want to stay up until 2 AM on a school night doing AP homework. Take 1 or 2 each year (at least no more than that for now) and you should be able to handle it. If you know people in higher grades who have or are taking the classes, ask them about it. You may get a better idea.

Get very good at managing your time well especially if you're in marching band.
its mandatory and this is some of the bets advice ive gotten.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


billc36 Offline
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1824
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm



It's mandatory to take AP classes? I've never heard of any school requiring that. That methodology would seem to be more of a hindrance than a help for most kids. Not all kids are cut out for AP classes.
Image

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm



no marching band is .
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm



Lee clary wrote:no marching band is .
...what?
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 pm



Kaitou wrote:
Lee clary wrote:no marching band is .
...what?
marching band is mandatory.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 pm



Lee clary wrote:
Kaitou wrote:
Lee clary wrote:no marching band is .
...what?
marching band is mandatory.
pics or didnt happen
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 pm



For every student in the school? I do not believe that
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 pm



Kaitou wrote:For every student in the school? I do not believe that
ok let me clear it up for everyone in band.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


pcs80 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 pm



Perfect example of why you should just specify this stuff the first time.
Who knows, "music" was a required class for everyone in my elementary school, if I remember correctly.


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:46 pm



so you're saying that band is mandatory for people in band?

my mind is full is *beep*
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 pm



im saying that people in concert band must do marching band.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 pm



Lee clary wrote:im saying that people in concert band must do marching band.
Why were you saying that? Where did that come from?
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


billc36 Offline
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1824
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 pm



Schools I've taught at required kids to be in marching band to be in other ensembles. The only exception were guitar players could be in jazz band without doing marching band, unless they played another instrument.
Image

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.


pcs80 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm



There are some smaller schools that don't have marching bands though, so I guess that's what he meant.


ribbon Offline
noob
noob
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:26 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:53 am



take summer school to get ahead if you can. im going into my senior year and im only taking 2 academic classes, along with marching band and AP Music
RCC 2015


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:38 am



ribbon wrote:take summer school to get ahead if you can. im going into my senior year and im only taking 2 academic classes, along with marching band and AP Music
I already am.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


Dr Beat Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Western North Carolina

Re: Freshie

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:53 am



Don't flip *beep* over the little stuff. Don't be like I was and flip out and take wayyyy too advanced honors or "AP" classes. This past year was my 8th grade year, and it muffed up the entire experience. Do your homework to the best of your ability, and make the teachers laugh. If there is a reason you didn't do your homework, tell the teacher before class. They absolutely love that. Practice and read in your spare time. Don't go overboard and practice instead of doing stuff worth 20% of your semester grade like I did though.
ACHS Marching Vikings
2011-2012 8th grade -Front Ensemble and Cymbal line.
2012-2013- Tenors
3rd chair symphonic band, North Western District, NC
To be continued...
Dut dut dut dut GOOSE!
Novak wrote:Wait, what's all this then about us dying?
DA13 wrote:Take a sledgehammer to it.
Use the ole "Our carriers broke, lets get new ones!" trick.


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am



Dr Beat wrote:Don't flip *beep* over the little stuff. Don't be like I was and flip out and take wayyyy too advanced honors or "AP" classes. This past year was my 8th grade year, and it muffed up the entire experience. Do your homework to the best of your ability, and make the teachers laugh. If there is a reason you didn't do your homework, tell the teacher before class. They absolutely love that. Practice and read in your spare time. Don't go overboard and practice instead of doing stuff worth 20% of your semester grade like I did though.
i always make teachers laugh its my specialty.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re:

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm



Lee clary wrote:
Dr Beat wrote:Don't flip *beep* over the little stuff. Don't be like I was and flip out and take wayyyy too advanced honors or "AP" classes. This past year was my 8th grade year, and it muffed up the entire experience. Do your homework to the best of your ability, and make the teachers laugh. If there is a reason you didn't do your homework, tell the teacher before class. They absolutely love that. Practice and read in your spare time. Don't go overboard and practice instead of doing stuff worth 20% of your semester grade like I did though.
i always make snarescience laugh its my specialty.
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


Kaitou Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 pm



ayeyomaggots wrote:
Lee clary wrote:
Dr Beat wrote:Don't flip *beep* over the little stuff. Don't be like I was and flip out and take wayyyy too advanced honors or "AP" classes. This past year was my 8th grade year, and it muffed up the entire experience. Do your homework to the best of your ability, and make the teachers laugh. If there is a reason you didn't do your homework, tell the teacher before class. They absolutely love that. Practice and read in your spare time. Don't go overboard and practice instead of doing stuff worth 20% of your semester grade like I did though.
i always make snarescience laugh its my specialty.
Lee Clary 2012
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage


lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Newport News, Virginia

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:31 pm



Oh, try to do p.e and health courses over summer and what not. health is really easy and boring and PE is just full or ignorant kids and I hate running.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University


Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Tallahassee,Florida

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:25 pm



lij2015 wrote:Oh, try to do p.e and health courses over summer and what not. health is really easy and boring and PE is just full or ignorant kids and I hate running.
im already doing that
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍


lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Newport News, Virginia

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:05 pm



Lee clary wrote:
lij2015 wrote:Oh, try to do p.e and health courses over summer and what not. health is really easy and boring and PE is just full or ignorant kids and I hate running.
im already doing that
Good it allows to take classes you actually want to take.
And if your school offers it, take latin!
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University


pcs80 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm



This obviously isn't an option for you anymore but if anyone in middle school is reading this then try to take classes like speech, health, PE, tech, whatever else you need to have credits for. Get as much of it done in middle school. That's what I did and by my sophomore year I had all my credits done, with nothing taken in the summer. Because of that I could take any classes I wanted since I had gotten the others out of the way. Some districts may not allow that but it really helps you get those other classes done.


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [ 68 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum