Freshie

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Freshie

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm a freshman is there perticular things i should do or who i should hang around band and school related.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Kaitou Offline

Re: Freshie

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Drumline.

School related..take challenging courses if you're up to it..AP especially for college credits..keep your GPA decent but don't totally stress over it..start taking ACT/SAT prep classes now as that's where a lot of scholarship money will come from when you get older.
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Don't take AP classes freshman year, I didn't and thank god for it. Aim for 3.5 GPA +
If you don't have a 3.5 after freshman year than you aren't doing well.
As for the drumline, don't act like you know everything even if your good.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:10 pm

lij2015 wrote:Don't take AP classes freshman year, I didn't and thank god for it. Aim for 3.5 GPA +
As for the drumline, don't act like you know everything even if you're good.
What's wrong with AP classes freshman year? The more you take the closer you come to starting college as a sophomore
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:16 pm

when my dog poops in the yard my dad calls it a "freshie"
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:40 pm

KJennings wrote:when my dog poops in the yard my dad calls it a "freshie"
lawl
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Im going to be taking AP classes and syphonic band
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:20 pm

What class?
ImageImage

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

I dont even no yet to be honest lawll
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Well overachieving is good to a point but don't get in waaaaay over your head
ImageImage

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Kaitou wrote:Well overachieving is good to a point but don't get in waaaaay over your head
We only had one AP class and the class was SUPER hard. so yeah :p
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:55 pm

lij2015 wrote:
Kaitou wrote:Well overachieving is good to a point but don't get in waaaaay over your head
We only had one AP class and the class was SUPER hard. so yeah :p
My high school had one..Human Geography..super easy lol
ImageImage

snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Stay ahead of the game, AP classes or not. Don't fall behind.

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:09 am

lij2015 wrote:Don't take AP classes freshman year, I didn't and thank god for it. Aim for 3.5 GPA +
As for the drumline, don't act like you know everything even if your good.
As long as you're not planning on going to Yale, it's ok to get under a 3.5 your freshman year. And if there's any year where it's ok not to do well it's your freshman year. My first two years of high school were a disaster. I was barely keeping it over a 2.0. Then I took some took some summer school, an extra online course, got my business together, did fairly well on the SATs, and BAM I got into the university I've always planned on going to.

My advice:
- Hang around people that are better than you (at being a student or a drummer or whatever).
- Being smart doesn't mean anything if you don't do what you're supposed to do. Doing homework is the most important thing ever.
- Start every assignment as soon as you get home. Even if you don't finish it right away, start it.
- Know whose asses to kiss and know how to make teachers laugh. It's hard for teachers to be hard on those they like, and easy for them to be hard on those they don't.

Cascades: Snare '10

University of Washington: Tenors '10-'11

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:37 am

the most important thing is keeping up and be organized. BUDGET YOUR TIME WISELY!!!! Don't stress about grades (I say this and I am a teacher!) Stay eligible if you have to for band, but if you get below a 3.5 it is not that big of deal. I know MANY 2.7 students who are THOUSANDS of times smarter than 4.0 students. Do what you need to stay out of summer school. I feel like kids get too wrapped up in the GRADES, and not in the LEARNING. Leave time to be a kid...if you obsess about grades, you can quickly burn yourself out and then it will snowball into everything failing. Study some, practice drums, play video games, play outside....all studying and nothing else is not healthy

DON'T WORRY ABOUT SOCIAL STATUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be your self. Don't change to be part of one group or another. DON'T COMPROMISE YOUR BELIEF SYSTEM TO FIT INTO SOME GROUP. Be chill with everyone, but also be yourself. Don't participate in things that you KNOW are negative just to gain social status. Social status is soooo unimportant in the bigger picture!

As some have mentioned, don't be a braggard if you are good. or don't be "that guy" that is always shooting his mouth off or outdoing everyone else. Participate and be enthusiastic, but don't be "Mr Know-it-all" even if you are. Pick and choose those battles. Offer help when the time is right, but also let other people "figure it out on their own".
- Always be on time, and have your *beep* together. Don't be "that guy" who is always forgetting things or having to sneak around to seem prepared.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:42 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:the most important thing is keeping up and be organized. BUDGET YOUR TIME WISELY!!!! Don't stress about grades (I say this and I am a teacher!) Stay eligible if you have to for band, but if you get below a 3.5 it is not that big of deal. I know MANY 2.7 students who are THOUSANDS of times smarter than 4.0 students. Do what you need to stay out of summer school. I feel like kids get too wrapped up in the GRADES, and not in the LEARNING. Leave time to be a kid...if you obsess about grades, you can quickly burn yourself out and then it will snowball into everything failing. Study some, practice drums, play video games, play outside....all studying and nothing else is not healthy

DON'T WORRY ABOUT SOCIAL STATUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be your self. Don't change to be part of one group or another. DON'T COMPROMISE YOUR BELIEF SYSTEM TO FIT INTO SOME GROUP. Be chill with everyone, but also be yourself. Don't participate in things that you KNOW are negative just to gain social status. Social status is soooo unimportant in the bigger picture!

As some have mentioned, don't be a braggard if you are good. or don't be "that guy" that is always shooting his mouth off or outdoing everyone else. Participate and be enthusiastic, but don't be "Mr Know-it-all" even if you are. Pick and choose those battles. Offer help when the time is right, but also let other people "figure it out on their own".
- Always be on time, and have your *beep* together. Don't be "that guy" who is always forgetting things or having to sneak around to seem prepared.
What do yu mean by dont be that guy
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Lee clary wrote: What do yu mean by dont be that guy

sxetnrdrmr wrote: As some have mentioned, don't be a braggard if you are good. or don't be "that guy" that is always shooting his mouth off or outdoing everyone else. Participate and be enthusiastic, but don't be "Mr Know-it-all" even if you are. Pick and choose those battles. Offer help when the time is right, but also let other people "figure it out on their own".
ImageImage

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 am

"That guy" is the guy no one can stand to be around because:
- they think they know everything and they don't, but they are always shooting their mouth off anyway
- they have no social grace. they are the ones who come up and interrupt a conversation; or worse, they get in between people who are talking and just start blabbing
- they always have to be the loudest person and center of attention
- they are always getting everyone else in trouble with there immature behavior
- no matter what, they always try to "one up" the situation: if you have a cool car, they have better; if you have had a bad day, they have had worse etc...
- they smell bad/are not aware of hygeine
- they mooch off of people
- they cheat off of people
- they are spoiled, and are usually whiners, especially when they don't get thier way
- they have an excuse for everything
- they would be the one at a funeral to come in and go "Whoa, whats with all the long faces. Did someone croak?"

anyone else have anything to add?
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
"That guy" is the guy no one can stand to be around because:
- they think they know everything and they don't, but they are always shooting their mouth off anyway
- they have no social grace. they are the ones who come up and interrupt a conversation; or worse, they get in between people who are talking and just start blabbing
- they always have to be the loudest person and center of attention
- they are always getting everyone else in trouble with there immature behavior
- no matter what, they always try to "one up" the situation: if you have a cool car, they have better; if you have had a bad day, they have had worse etc...
- they smell bad/are not aware of hygeine
- they mooch off of people
- they cheat off of people
- they are spoiled, and are usually whiners, especially when they don't get thier way
- they have an excuse for everything
- they would be the one at a funeral to come in and go "Whoa, whats with all the long faces. Did someone croak?"

anyone else have anything to add?
Bumming sticks w.o permission is my peeve
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 am

If someone does that at a funeral you have permission to beat their butts.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 am

Lee clary wrote:If someone does that at a funeral you have permission to beat their butts.
sig'd
I don't know if you're a troll or not, but you're *beep* hilarious kid
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 am

ayeyomaggots wrote:
Lee clary wrote:If someone does that at a funeral you have permission to beat their butts.
sig'd
I don't know if you're a troll or not, but you're *beep* hilarious kid
look im not a troll i swear by it why do you think that
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am

MPolarinakis wrote: Bumming sticks w.o permission is my peeve
this, and people who lose their music. Nothing says "i don't care" more than people who constantly are not prepared.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote: Bumming sticks w.o permission is my peeve
this, and people who lose their music. Nothing says "i don't care" more than people who constantly are not prepared.
They generally have an sense of entitlement to everything as well. They don't have to work at being on the line because they just deserve it due to how special they are.
ImageImage

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:01 pm

You're not a freshie. You are a Freshman. You are a 9th grader. There is no such thing as a freshie. I'm getting a squiggly red line underneath freshie. It's not a word.

It doesn't matter who you hang out with. If you meet someone you think is neat, then by all means please hang out with them.

Also, take whatever classes you want. If you want to slack off, then take easy classes. If you want to be really great and want to get into a good college or university, then take more advance classes.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!