College Audition Decision...

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

College Audition Decision...

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:39 pm

My college auditions are in a couple of weeks but I have been on the fence on whether or not I should go forth an audition. I have been really involved throughout campus with various student organizations as well as being selected as an orientation leader for incoming international students for the Fall 2012 semester. Next semester I will be taking 17 credit hours and will be on the executive board for the Filipino Student Association and a committee chair for my honor society. On top of that I am in a competitive dance crew that will be preparing for a competition next semester. Because of my next semester endeavors I am concerned that marching will be of great conflict with my studies and my student involvement with other organizations.

Personally, I am leaning more towards NOT auditioning so I can focus on what is already established.

What do you all think about my decision? Would it be practically reasonable to do march and do everything that I am set to do despite possible time conflicts?

Thanks everyone.
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

Memphonian Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Re: College Audition Decision...

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:54 pm

If you want to march in the college marching band, do it. You'll probably get a scholarship for it. Just see if the money and enjoyment you would get is worth the time you would lose to allot to other things. But, you could definitely make it work within your schedule. College drum lines do'nt rehears a lot, maybe 3 hours a day 3 days a week, with a small rehearsal on game day.
H.S. Band, Drum Corps Band. Band.

BigDiehl414 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 am

If you want to march DO IT! It's a great experience! If the school says you don't have time to join band don't listen to them.
OHS Drumline 07'-11'
07'-Bass
08'-10'-Snare
11'-Tenorz
University of Akron Drumline 12'-16'

https://twitter.com/#!/No_Big_Diehl

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:36 am

College band is fun, but it can get old fast. Especially when your college football team SUCKS. haha but we have ways to make it fun. Making up cheers and such. Bonding is also really fun.
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:06 am

The old saying "Jack of all trades - Master of none" seems to apply here.
March IF, and only if you have the time to devote to the line. I'm not
familiar with the Georgia State Band, so determine how serious the
line is and go from there. I'm certainly not saying to become a one
dimensional student, but you and you alone know what limitations you
may have concerning participating in multiple activities. If you are a
music major I would highly recommend participating in as many ensembles
as you can. This will broaden your scope and strengthen your teaching
and performing abilities. I knew two guys who attended GSU back in
the day before there was a marching program. They were great
players and well-rounded individuals.

Dennis
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have auditioned and will be marching for the 2012 season. I decided that this will be my only year to march because I really want to focus on completing my undergraduate studies so I can apply to medical school after graduating. At least I will be able to experience of marching in college and drumming with an awesome line and staff. Luckily the marching band schedule does not conflict with my other activities as much as I thought they would.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:55 pm

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have auditioned and will be marching for the 2012 season. I decided that this will be my only year to march because I really want to focus on completing my undergraduate studies so I can apply to medical school after graduating. At least I will be able to experience of marching in college and drumming with an awesome line and staff. Luckily the marching band schedule does not conflict with my other activities as much as I thought they would.
Good luck and have fun man
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am

Kaitou wrote:
FCHSsnare2011 wrote:Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have auditioned and will be marching for the 2012 season. I decided that this will be my only year to march because I really want to focus on completing my undergraduate studies so I can apply to medical school after graduating. At least I will be able to experience of marching in college and drumming with an awesome line and staff. Luckily the marching band schedule does not conflict with my other activities as much as I thought they would.
Good luck and have fun man
it will also be interesting to see if you truly are "1 and done". I had sooo many friends that said,"I am just gonna do one year....." most of them did all 5
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:52 am

I am posting here to tell you guys that I have decided to resign my spot on the line to pursue and continue my current college endeavors. While marching in college would have been an awesome experience, the fruits from the other organizations I am involved proved to me more worthwhile for solidifying my college experience and my future career. I have not formally informed my instructor and the rest of the line about my decision, but hopefully they will respect and understand my reasons behind my resignation. Drumming will always be with me with a line or not and I thank all of my instructors and everyone on here to get me where I am today. Maybe one day i'll march again, but for now it is time to set my priorities and follow them.

snare20 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 am

As much as I would have rather heard that you stayed and played a season. I respect that decision. I hope all goes well and maybe join next year. Keep drumming when you can though! good luck!