Minor in music?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

DA13 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Minor in music?

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm

I am planning on majoring in either aerospace engineering or physics...how hard would it be to minor in piano performance with one of these majors? (or is that even possible)?
McNeil High School Drumline '09-'12
Imperial Percussion Theater '13

dgaking Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Minor in music?

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Most schools just have a music minor. It has a list of required courses and some flexible room for other credits. You usually need private lessons on an instrument, which you could do on piano. Your other flexible credits could be applied to whatever you would want to learn in music. A music minor would help you stand out if applying to graduate schools. It is a little more time consuming than most other minors, but you will learn a ton, meet great people, and have a good time.

Tommyboy79 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 pm

That's what I'm doing also actually.
I got to the University of Washington and I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I've just been taking 2 major required classes a quarter and then having my easy class be classes that satisfy the music minor requirements. If you can figure out how to get your schedule to work it isn't too hard to get a minor.
University of Washington Drumline- Tenors '11-'12, '12-'13

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 pm

..and I would imagine that in any part of the country, a good piano player can almost make a second career out of accompaniying things. Especially if the state you are in has a big solo $ ens program. It colud'nt be a bad thing to do From what I know of the colleges around here (Ohio), the music minor would be 20 credit hours of music classes, and I don't think you can choose "performance" or "theory/comp"..it is just a music minor. It has been a while since I was actually "in" college tho so things might have changed
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 pm

If you are interested in physics and music, you should check out grad school programs in acoustics. I occasionally see acoustic engineer positions at NASA and Boeing. There are a lot of other specialties in acoustics as well. I ended up in architectural acoustics.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:46 pm

knight427 wrote:If you are interested in physics and music, you should check out grad school programs in acoustics. I occasionally see acoustic engineer positions at NASA and Boeing. There are a lot of other specialties in acoustics as well. I ended up in architectural acoustics.
I bet that field is fascinating..(completely serious even though it sounds sarcastic..lol)
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 am

I like it a lot, though being so very specialized means you have fewer employment choices. On the up side, starting your own business requires very little cash, so I went out on my own a while back.

ScrappyDoo5761 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 am

I am planning on majoring in medicinal chemistry at ULM with a minor in music.