Drumline or Football?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

kiddrummer Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Drumline or Football?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Which one should I do? I know it's my choice but I just don't know which one I should pick. I love to drum and, if I end up doing football I'm still going to drum but, I'm going to want to do DCI or WGI in the future. Although I love drumming I still love football and want to try it aleast once but last season I didn't get to march because I kept getting switched around but now I have a really good chance of marching this season and one of my close friends that is center snare really wants me to march so that we can make a comeback plus it's his last year so it will most likley be the first and last time we ever march together. But then again I still want to do football and it really looks like alot of fun and I don't wanna always think back like what if I did do football but, I can only pick one because if I try to do both the practice times will conflict on each other also if I get out of band because I want to try football the BD might not let me back in.(This has happend before in the past with other students) can you guys please help me to decide whether or not if I should try Football or stay in Drumline.
Thanks

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Drumline or Football?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Well you are on a forum about drumming where pretty much all of its members are drummers. So it's pretty obvious what we would choose. You gota decide for yourself. Based on your post it seems like you're leaning more towards band.
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

Buranri Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Do you have any independent winter lines in your area you could march? If you do, I'd almost say do those and football. Maybe it's just because of my high school experience, but high school band kind of sucks. If you marched an independent line you'd still be getting the drumming experience and you could do football.
Spokane Thunder
Cascades
Matrix

Facebook

noname Offline
ROAF
ROAF

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:00 am

What Burani says is true, but your chances of making an independent drumline go up exponentially if you've done some high school band. Honestly, they're both great activities to participate in, that teach important skills such as teamwork. I feel like you're going to be more frustrated with football though if you're not a star. In band, there aren't starters...only members. For football, you may work your tail off and never play a down.

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:16 am

Through my first two years of high school, I did both. I missed some football, missed some band, but in the end, I played football (JV both years - varsity would've required an exclusive commitment) and marched. Try out for the football team, see what happens - maybe you won't have to make a decision, and the decision will be made for you (hopefully you don't get cut, but it is a scenario). Same goes for the band. If you do make both, then you can try talking it out with the staff, see if you can manage to do both. You'll work your ass off, if you manage both, but it's well worth it. I loved 13 hour South Florida summer days, putting on pads, then a drum, then lifting weights, etc.

If you absolutely can't do both within your school (and you've made both squads), check out some other options, as have been suggested. Depending on your ability/experience, you could march a DCI/WGI group now, and do football. Again, it cannot hurt to try out - go audition, work hard, have fun, learn alot. Drums are fun. In the other direction, is there a recreational football league in the area? That's an awesome alternative that is a ton of fun, and, generally, coaches can appreciate stocked schedules a little more. See if your Freshmen (unless you're older) or JV high school squads allow you a little more flexibility with band.

If all those options are exhausted, then you've got a choice to make. Here's the question that's most important...

You've got a few hours absolutely free in the immediate afternoon. You can pull out the metronome, practice pad, sticks, and learn/master new music and techniques. Or, you can get outside, throw/catch/run the football around, practice techniques and master muscle groups. Which one do you feel the most passion for? Which one can you see yourself eagerly doing, pouring every bit of effort and work in that you can, for 3 or 4 hours straight? There's your answer. Let your passion guide you.

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:35 am

Ask football science

kiddrummer Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:57 am

dlinebass5 wrote:Through my first two years of high school, I did both. I missed some football, missed some band, but in the end, I played football (JV both years - varsity would've required an exclusive commitment) and marched. Try out for the football team, see what happens - maybe you won't have to make a decision, and the decision will be made for you (hopefully you don't get cut, but it is a scenario). Same goes for the band. If you do make both, then you can try talking it out with the staff, see if you can manage to do both. You'll work your *beep* off, if you manage both, but it's well worth it. I loved 13 hour South Florida summer days, putting on pads, then a drum, then lifting weights, etc.

If you absolutely can't do both within your school (and you've made both squads), check out some other options, as have been suggested. Depending on your ability/experience, you could march a DCI/WGI group now, and do football. Again, it cannot hurt to try out - go audition, work hard, have fun, learn alot. Drums are fun. In the other direction, is there a recreational football league in the area? That's an awesome alternative that is a ton of fun, and, generally, coaches can appreciate stocked schedules a little more. See if your Freshmen (unless you're older) or JV high school squads allow you a little more flexibility with band.

If all those options are exhausted, then you've got a choice to make. Here's the question that's most important...

You've got a few hours absolutely free in the immediate afternoon. You can pull out the metronome, practice pad, sticks, and learn/master new music and techniques. Or, you can get outside, throw/catch/run the football around, practice techniques and master muscle groups. Which one do you feel the most passion for? Which one can you see yourself eagerly doing, pouring every bit of effort and work in that you can, for 3 or 4 hours straight? There's your answer. Let your passion guide you.
Thanks I'll try to talk with the staff and as for the last question I really cannot decide because if I could I would drum with the rest or the line but then again it would be really fun to be with my friends at practice for football. I have friends in both groups but I have more in football. I think that is what is making this hard for me to choose. (Being with friends) because I feel that if I don't football it's going to be a little weird when I hang around my friends that are in football and they are all telling me that I should join vice versa.

nasti Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 am

Football, I was in the same boat as you and I choose band, now looking back I wish a would have played for atlest a year, there is no telling how good I could have been. I have friends that were in band but stop to play football and now have full scholarships, could that have been me??

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 am

nasti wrote:Football, I was in the same boat as you and I choose band, now looking back I wish a would have played for atlest a year, there is no telling how good I could have been. I have friends that were in band but stop to play football and now have full scholarships, could that have been me??
This. Same thing happened between band and soccer. It's not as hard to do both than with football but I couldn't dedicate myself to both. I say do a year of football.

TheDrummingSquirrel Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Forlan10 wrote:Ask football science
Lulz
HHS- Codes: Bass 3
HHS- Pyramids of Egypt: Quads
HHS- La Nouba: Quads (Section Leader)
Marshall University Marching Thunder: Quads 2012
Marshall University Marching Thunder: Quads 2013 (Center)
Bryan Station Indoor Percussion- Delay: Quads 2014

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 am

The way I see it, it comes down to this: do you like rolling around in the grass with other men or do you like drumming?

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:14 am

TVOham wrote:The way I see it, it comes down to this: do you like rolling around in the grass with some dudes and having locker room fun? or fondling pieces of wood and hanging around a whole bunch of skinny shirtless wannabe hipsters, and participating in many activities considered much more queer than football, such as dance, toe tapping, and yoga blocks, and having equal amounts of locker room fun
super duper extra special mad fantastic bluesville blueberries drumline!!
- 2008 - 2nd snare from the left of the right side of the quadline - the muffincake chronicals
- 2009 -3rd snare in from the right side of the bassline - the strawberry shortcake story
- 2010 -middle to the left of the right center snare (im way better than him) - sugar fantasy's

nickname - THE POWERDIDDLER

kiddrummer Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 am

I talked to the coach and he told me that I could play spring ball and by time that ends I should know what I want to do.

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:17 pm

kiddrummer wrote:I talked to the coach and he told me that I could play spring ball and by time that ends I should know what I want to do.
Excellent plan. Hope everything turns out the way you want it to.

DrumOfThor Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 am

DRUHMZ are healthier for you.
'09-'11 MADISON SCOUTS - cymbal line (captain man in '11!)
2011 PENN STATE INDOOR - bass drum leader
2012 REDLINE - snare drum section captain

bengwilliams Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 pm

I think band has a better chance of positively affecting people. Your choice really depends on the type of discipline you respond to better.
"There's more to see than can ever be seen, More to do than can ever be done" -"Circle of Life"

"You have to learn the rules of the game, and then you have to play better than everyone else" - Albert Einstein

"You are repeatedly what you do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"

nochops94 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 pm

bassplace wrote:
TVOham wrote:The way I see it, it comes down to this: do you like rolling around in the grass with some dudes and having locker room fun? or fondling pieces of wood and hanging around a whole bunch of skinny shirtless wannabe hipsters, and participating in many activities considered much more queer than football, such as dance, toe tapping, and yoga blocks, and having equal amounts of locker room fun
LMFAO
MKHS 08-12

DCA
Tampa Bay Thunder '11, '12- snare
WGI
Aquarius Percussion [PIA] '12- snare
Marcato Independent Percussion '15 [PIO]- snare

tenorline13 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Whatever you want to do dude. I know what it's like, I was in the front ensemble 8th grade and freshman year, and played bass and tenors sophomore and junior year. I also played freshman football and JV sophomore year but just playing Varsity next year and leaving band.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:19 am

bassplace wrote:
TVOham wrote:The way I see it, it comes down to this: do you like rolling around in the grass with sweaty guys, taking showers together, chasing each other naked around the lockers, and slapping each others ass on every good play, or do you like making sick beats and being an all around boss. The choice is yours

fixed

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:22 am

TVOham wrote:
bassplace wrote:
TVOham wrote:The way I see it, it comes down to this: do you like rolling around in the grass with sweaty guys, taking showers together, chasing each other naked around the lockers, and slapping each others *beep* on every good play, or do you like making sick beats and being an all around boss. The choice is yours

fixed
i do all of those things for both activities.
- 2008 - 2nd snare from the left of the right side of the quadline - the muffincake chronicals
- 2009 -3rd snare in from the right side of the bassline - the strawberry shortcake story
- 2010 -middle to the left of the right center snare (im way better than him) - sugar fantasy's

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 am

bassplace wrote:
TVOham wrote:
bassplace wrote:

fixed

You exchange complementary ass-slaps upon playing a clean lick?

Andymac Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 am

TVOham wrote:
bassplace wrote:
TVOham wrote:

fixed

You exchange complementary *beep*-slaps upon playing a clean lick?
Well it would be weird if he did it on a lick that sucked.

pacpalisnare Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am

TVOham wrote:
bassplace wrote:
TVOham wrote:The way I see it, it comes down to this: do you like rolling around in the grass with sweaty guys, taking showers together, chasing each other naked around the lockers, and slapping each others *beep* on every good play, or do you like making sick beats and being an all around boss. The choice is yours

fixed
This honestly just sounds like drum corps.

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am

pacpalisnare wrote:
TVOham wrote:
bassplace wrote:

fixed
This honestly just sounds like drum corps.

lmao drum corps is the gayest activity ever. besides winterguard.

BigDiehl414 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I would say which ever can save you the most money. If you can get a full ride in football do that.
OHS Drumline 07'-11'
07'-Bass
08'-10'-Snare
11'-Tenorz
University of Akron Drumline 12'-16'

https://twitter.com/#!/No_Big_Diehl