Skipping a lecture class to attend a drumline class??

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Skipping a lecture class to attend a drumline class??

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm

My college line has an off-season class/rehearsal every Wednesdays during a class I have. If I stay for the entire lecture class I would only be able drum for about 30 minutes a week. I am debating whether or not it would be a smart idea to skip this lecture class to attend drumline rehearsal for the entire duration. I am NOT a member of the line. I talked to the percussion director about attending so I can keep my chops up, improve, and prepare for next season's auditions to hopefully make it.

What do you all suggest I do?
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Re: Skipping a lecture class to attend a drumline class??

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:44 pm

go to class, find a little more time to practice some other time
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 am

You aren't going to college to drum, you're going to college to get a job.

extrikate Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Location: where the sun shines, the beaches are plenty, and the mice are 6' tall

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 am

I would be incredibly disappointed if the Percussion Director considers this a viable option for your participation given the listed circumstances. Practice on your own, which shows dedication, and try to fit it into your schedule next year. Maybe the director would consider providing you exercises/music to work on outside of the rehearsal class.
"If two people agree on everything, then one of them is unnecessary." -Winston Churchill

DCA: 1993-1996, 2012-2014
Pipe Band: 2005-present
Instructor: 1995-present

billc36 Offline

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 am

What a waste of money to skip the lecture class.

Honestly, why did you even ask this question? A good education is one of the most, if not THE most, important things you can give yourself.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 am

Yeah!
Drumming is for nerds.
The cool kids study.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 am

Several of us who marched in Atlanta would have to skip out on convocation class twice a month
to be on time for drum practice on Wednesdays in Atlanta. The class was required but carried no
credit at all. We were basically the audience for piano and vocal majors wanting to perform a repertoire
piece they were working on. So it was a no brainer to skip out to go to drum practice.

Dennis
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

doylejd Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 am

During college this was my checklist to see if a class was okay to skip, keep in mind I was majoring in music and working nearly full-time:

1) Is attendance counted as part of your grade? If so, you should not skip. You will inevitably have some sickness or emergency that requires you to miss another time and you do not want to cause yourself to fail.

2) Are there daily assignments or participation grades? If so, unless there is an extreme circumstance (recital/jury/concert is tomorrow) you shouldn't put your grade at risk.

3) Does the professor test off of lecture notes, or book content? If it is the former, missing even one day can be insanely detrimental to your grade.

Sometimes you get the perfect storm of ingredients and you can blow off a class now and again and do pretty well. I had a physical science class that met twice a week in which the professor put all of his powerpoints online, had no attendance requirement, and only took four grades the entire semester (two tests, one paper, one final). In addition, there were about 150 people in the class and nobody ever sat in the same place. I would go to the Tuesday session, make sure that the test dates hadn't changed and then used every Thursday class time for extra practice for my recital. The weekend before the test, I would study hard and do really well.

That was the only time I ever had a class like that. Every other time, even missing one or two classes really made me feel like I was falling behind. In addition, I've had the unpleasant experience of having a professor drop me for being absent too often.

The reality of the situation is you're an adult in college now. It is your decision as to whether or not you can pull off something like this, or if it is even worth it. No one is going to judge you either way. Is drumline really that important to you? Only you can answer that.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

I think it depends on the situation. There were MANY freshman/sophomore lecturs classes I never went to, and still got good grades in the class. It depends. I would use classmates notes, and then take notes for them on a day that I couldn't be there. Many times the profs would put their class notes online, or in the days before the interwebs, as supplements you could buy in the bookstore for real cheap.

I think you are an adult, and that as long as you even things out, you can do what you want.

In the above situations, I was usually missing due to the job that was paying for my college since I payed for it all myself, but still I played hooky as well...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:My college line has an off-season class/rehearsal every Wednesdays during a class I have. If I stay for the entire lecture class I would only be able drum for about 30 minutes a week. I am debating whether or not it would be a smart idea to skip this lecture class to attend drumline rehearsal for the entire duration. I am NOT a member of the line. I talked to the percussion director about attending so I can keep my chops up, improve, and prepare for next season's auditions to hopefully make it.

well if you're a music major than you can probably afford to skip, as your lectures are probably like English 101 or american history 103 or something easy like that, If you're majoring in astrophysics and the class is electromagnetic and gravitational repulsion mechanisms, APYS 590 or something crazy like that, you should probably go.

because the majority of the learning for music majors happens out of the classroom anyway lol
super duper extra special mad fantastic bluesville blueberries drumline!!
- 2008 - 2nd snare from the left of the right side of the quadline - the muffincake chronicals
- 2009 -3rd snare in from the right side of the bassline - the strawberry shortcake story
- 2010 -middle to the left of the right center snare (im way better than him) - sugar fantasy's

nickname - THE POWERDIDDLER

FCHSsnare2011 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 pm

thanks for the input everyone. i worked things out to where I WON'T be skipping the class. Instead I will simply leave 15 minutes early to go drum for an hour. Most of my teacher's notes are online and the guest speakers who come along only speak for about an hour which is the amount of time that I will be in class. All of my other classes (pre-med requisites, core classes, honors courses, honor society seminars, and labs) are in tact and not in conflict. Hopefully taking 18 credits with 2 labs with an hour of drumline and martial arts 2 times a week won't kill me.
Georgia State University: Snare (2012)
Fayette County High School: (2007-2011)

optsyn Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 pm

FCHSsnare2011 wrote:My college line has an off-season class/rehearsal every Wednesdays during a class I have. If I stay for the entire lecture class I would only be able drum for about 30 minutes a week. I am debating whether or not it would be a smart idea to skip this lecture class to attend drumline rehearsal for the entire duration. I am NOT a member of the line. I talked to the percussion director about attending so I can keep my chops up, improve, and prepare for next season's auditions to hopefully make it.

Drumming is a hobby. School leads to a career.

Go to class.

bryonmcshea Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:29 pm

optsyn wrote:

Go to class.
That's a rather optimistic view of school.

You go to school to learn, not to get a job. Common misconception.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:51 pm

bryonmcshea wrote:
optsyn wrote:

Go to class.
That's a rather optimistic view of school.

You go to school to learn, not to get a job. Common misconception.
...and for some of us, drumming is a career...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans