Decisions?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Decisions?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Any of you guys have to make a decision between drumming and another hobby? I'm caught between drumming/music and Baseball. I've been playing baseball my whole life, but after my first year of marching band and being in a drumline, i know i want to do something with my life involving music. post your decisions/ conflicts?
"Binaries on the Tymp-Toms gettin' kinda' cloudy."

Andymac Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Decisions?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:15 pm

I was in the same spot in high school. Only I wasn't good enough or really interested enough in playing baseball for my high school. So my first two years I managed between marching band and the local community baseball league. It kept me pretty busy, so I ended up choosing band my junior year and just stuck with that.

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:57 pm

I had to make the same decision last year between music and Rugby League. I enjoyed sport, but I wasn't that great at it (I'm a midget so I get my arse handed to me) so I chose music. I was really only playing sport to stay fit, so now I play for a rec team that doesn't train, that way I have time for music.
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

swstarks Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14 pm

I had to choose between drums and basketball. Well since I'm 5'8" and white there wasnt gonna be a future for me in basketball so I wisely chose drums.

I still love basketball and play just about everyday, but drums is where I'll make my living.
http://www.youtube.com/user/spstarks
http://www.facebook.com/#!/steven.starks.96

heem my creem.

"I'm quite fond of the manner in which you address me as your large father."

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 pm

I played a lot of sports when I was in middle school and earlier. Around my sophomore year of high school i decided I liked drums and percussion enough to try and make hitting drums with things a living, and now i just play sports for fun. But i still play pretty often, pick-up games of ice sports, basket sports, tackle sports, and golf
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

jodycoln Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:55 am

When I was your age....seriously though, I had band in the fall, baseball in the spring. I didn't have to choose. Now it seems activities are a year round commitment. That's a shame. Kids should be able to participate in different activities instead of choosing one. It would make for more well rounded people. That said, choose what you love. Best wishes.

i_like_turtles

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:20 pm

I can't find another hobby. Sometimes I'll try to think of something else I could be decent at, but I just can't. I would love to play softball again, but I have a really hard time running. I just can't think of anything else.

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I've been playing hockey since I was seven. My mom is all for letting me drop it, but I think my dad would be upset about me quitting to go drum. I keep telling him drumming is more physically rewarding/challenging than hockey. I want to drum.
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 am

I once had to choose between my career as a professional troll and drumming..

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

TVOham wrote:I once had to choose between my career as a professional troll and drumming..

you should apply for a position at the Department of Redundancy Department
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
TVOham wrote:I once had to choose between my career as a professional troll and drumming..

you should apply for a position at the Department of Redundancy Department

career-
An occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress.

professional
A person engaged or qualified in a profession

You should apply for the position at the Department of Definitions Department.

bassplace Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 pm

WHSnare wrote:I've been playing hockey since I was seven. My mom is all for letting me drop it, but I think my dad would be upset about me quitting to go drum. I keep telling him drumming is more physically rewarding/challenging than hockey. I want to drum.

lol playing snare in not nearly as strenuous as playing hockey

omg hahahahaha.
super duper extra special mad fantastic bluesville blueberries drumline!!
- 2008 - 2nd snare from the left of the right side of the quadline - the muffincake chronicals
- 2009 -3rd snare in from the right side of the bassline - the strawberry shortcake story
- 2010 -middle to the left of the right center snare (im way better than him) - sugar fantasy's

nickname - THE POWERDIDDLER

WHSnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 pm

[quote=bassplace]lol playing snare in not nearly as strenuous as playing hockey

omg hahahahaha.[/quote]

I personally play goalie, for a team that takes 35 and up shots per game, and I still find a day at band camp or a competition day more tiring then that.
awakentosleep wrote:Yeah, but it was sort of like the Americas before Columbus: just a bunch of uncultured savages running around killing each other, smoking peyote, and eating dirt.
I drum sometimes, but I'm no good.

YouTube

Debacle Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 am

Yes, I actually got kicked off of the varsity soccer team because of winter percussion. Definitely a hard time.

And I might have to make the decision in college again.

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Sorry for the gravedig, but it's come back to me, and now that it's fulltime baseball season, I can't get it off my mind, and i've been thinking about switching schools to go play varsity baseball and just do drumline/percussion as a hobby. Any other words of advice/ stories that any of you guys have?
"Binaries on the Tymp-Toms gettin' kinda' cloudy."

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:49 am

you are getting to the point though, where your decisions can effect your "career". I would use the barometer of what you want to do after HS. If you are thinking of going into music, baseball is not going to get you there, and vice versa. I have had many students have to make choices like this. Sometimes it is about classes to take, whether they should continue in a Church group or scouts etc. "Activity" majors like music, art, sports etc are going to look at how much time you spent doing the activity in your past. As a music major, you need to have been involved in as many performance opportunities as you can. missing these for baseball stuff is going to get you behind. And vice-versa. If you miss bating cage time, or lifting for music stuff, that will put you behind some other people time-wise

I always tell them that they need to figure out what will help them on their path towards happiness. As we get older, we drop things and shave off the excess.

Personally, it was never a problem for me cause I knew I was going to do something with drumming since first grade. All through my life activity decisions were made around my music activities. My parents only allowed me to be seriously involved in 2 activities growing up. i could "dabble" in as many as I wanted as long as I could get my self there, but they would only help me with two. I always chose drumming first. Scouting was my other one. The only sport I ever did was hockey, but I did that on my own as long as I could. It was one of the first things to drop by the way-side until i could drive. I didn't get back into it until college.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans