Getting a job?

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

twinkle finger Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Getting a job?

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Hello snarescience guys and girls! :) I need some help. Im a freshman in highschool and I wanted to know if you guys/girls had a job when you were around my age. I think I might need one because im doing Jazz which is going to cost around 400-500 bucks including the trips, marching band which is about 300 bucks including trips and Percussion Ensemble im not sure how much Percussion Ensemble is yet but im pretty sure no cheaper that 200 bucks. I think I may need one because I don't want to keep asking my mom for all this money and she has to pay it on her own and I Plan on marching drum corp too so thats going to be even more money! Can you guise please give me some options on what I should do?

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Getting a job?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:01 am

Go find a pharmacy, ask if they need a delivery person (my first job). Or a fast food chain like KFC or Subway, they're always looking for staff.
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

Forlan10 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:14 am

My parents own a buisness so I've always had a job really. A few people on my line got jobs working at a clothing store that just opened so I recommend looking for shops that are new and looking for people. Also it's a good idea to get seasonal jobs. For example my sister worked at H&M during the winter season and got payed $10 an hour for about 3 months. During seasons like winter and spring, stores always need more help so they hire a crap load of people temporarily until that huge market season is over. Than if they like you they'll give you a call back for the next shopping frenzy. If you can't do this, especially since you're a freshman, there's no problem grilling burgers and frying potatoes. Heck, when I needed money for sticks I started drumming in my city's downtown with a couple of buckets and some crappy unpitched sticks with a buddy and we made like $25 in an hour haha. It was fun, people loved it, and thanked us for keeping the arts alive. People would ask us "what do you do with the money?" and we would say "when these sticks break we just buy new ones haha." Just some ideas!

jodycoln Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 pm

I had a hard time getting a job until I turned 16. Grocery stores are good, fast food is good. Best of luck. It's hard for anyone to find a job these days. Check your local paper in the classifieds, and whenever you're out shopping, ask for an application. You never know. The biggest thing, is be honest about your commitments and when you can and cannot work. That will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

i_like_turtles

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

I picked up 6 applications the other day and none of them were hiring. If they say that, get an application anyways so they'll at least have it on file.

HHS_snare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I work at the Public Library. Above minimum wage, in the air condition, quiet. Try there.
Hi I'm Jacques. I like drums. That's about it...

Facebook
Twitter
My Blog

twinkle finger Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:55 pm

jodycoln wrote:I had a hard time getting a job until I turned 16. Grocery stores are good, fast food is good. Best of luck. It's hard for anyone to find a job these days. Check your local paper in the classifieds, and whenever you're out shopping, ask for an application. You never know. The biggest thing, is be honest about your commitments and when you can and cannot work. That will save you a lot of headaches down the road.
I'm not turning 16 until September. :?

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 pm

twinkle finger wrote:Hello snarescience guys and girls! :) I need some help. Im a freshman in highschool and I wanted to know if you guys/girls had a job when you were around my age. I think I might need one because im doing Jazz which is going to cost around 400-500 bucks including the trips, marching band which is about 300 bucks including trips and Percussion Ensemble im not sure how much Percussion Ensemble is yet but im pretty sure no cheaper that 200 bucks. I think I may need one because I don't want to keep asking my mom for all this money and she has to pay it on her own and I Plan on marching drum corp too so thats going to be even more money! Can you guise please give me some options on what I should do?

I didn't have a job until Summer of Sophomore year.
Focus on your grades and do fundraisers for the marching fees.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 pm

I feel you, I can't get a job for my life. Try McDonald's, I've heard they're usually hiring
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

BigDiehl414 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 am

I worked at a local tent set-up business. Hard work but good pay
OHS Drumline 07'-11'
07'-Bass
08'-10'-Snare
11'-Tenorz
University of Akron Drumline 12'-16'

https://twitter.com/#!/No_Big_Diehl