Laptop for college

discuss high school / college related stuff here

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

snare4life Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Laptop for college

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Would anybody suggest buying a Dell XPS 15 or 15z? If so, could you tell me which and why?
Yo. I like to drum. I'm not the best, but I'm getting there!

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 pm

If it was the cheapest laptop to meet your criteria, then sure, I'd recommend it (along with an upgraded warranty). Normally the XPS line has been marketed as a multimedia machine (I haven't paid as much attention over the past 6 months, but I'm betting it still is sold this way). Typically a multimedia laptop comes with medium level discrete graphics suitable for watching movies (which doesn't really need a gpu these days) and playing modern games on low to medium settings. So if you are a casual gamer or have some specific need for mid-level discrete graphics, then this would be your kind of laptop.

In the 15 seconds I spent on Dell's website, I surmised that the z is a thin version, which means the gpu is probably entry-level. So decide if you care more about size/weight than performance.

DrBeatPHD Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 pm

I have the pavilion, you'll love it
2010 Chattahoochee HS Tenors
2011 Chattahoochee HS Snare

bobbthetomato Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 am

I would suggest getting a macbook pro (check on apple.com for specs) it is an ultra fast very light, top of the line mac. very expensive as computers go, $1100-1500, but its worth it. It will last you all four+ years of collage and still have space. I would not suggest the macbook air because of its limited memory spec. It is the lightest full size computer on the market but with all of the use it will get in collage its memory is to small to last
EPHS Snare - '12

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:49 pm

bobbthetomato wrote:I would suggest getting a macbook pro (check on apple.com for specs) it is an ultra fast very light, top of the line mac. very expensive as computers go, $1100-1500, but its worth it. It will last you all four+ years of collage and still have space. I would not suggest the macbook air because of its limited memory spec. It is the lightest full size computer on the market but with all of the use it will get in collage its memory is to small to last
Just fyi, with computers, memory means RAM. You are talking about storage (HDD or SSD).

Also, the reasons you list as "worth it" are wrong. Here are the reasons why a MBP might be worth it to some users.
1) The Operating System. Intuitive and simple to connect peripherals, OSX is widely regarded as the number one reason to buy a Mac.
2) The design. They are thin, light and sleek. Everyone else in the business has at leat one product line copying the looks.
3) The touch pad. For most (but not all) users, the touch pad on a MBP will be way better than an external mouse onse you learn a few simple gestures.
4) Warranty and support. You get 1 year Apple Care, which is pretty great support for a consumer computer. Apple Care is rated high when comparing consumer computer support.

That said, your reasons are wrong because if you just want a computer that will last 4+ years with enough storage, you would be better off buying a business class notebook. You can even upgrade your own HDD and RAM when needed. You can get on-site support (which Apple won't do any amount of money) and it will be built to better withstand abuse (which is why it will be heavier and bulkier than the MBP).

Also, if you are pirating stuff, you should just get an external hard drive to hoard your stuff on rather than pay the extortion fee of upgrading the storage capacity.

i_like_turtles

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:03 am

Get an Asus. They're great

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 am

i_like_turtles wrote:Get an Asus. They're great
Asus has become popular among engineers who don't need professional graphics cards. They make pretty good computers, but I find their keyboards are usually pretty bad (very bouncy, especially near the number pad). Still, I'd prefer an Asus over a consumer Dell or consumer HP.

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

What do you think of the Acer Aspire?

iLikezdasnurr Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:31 pm

throughout high school, I went through 3 different laptops, a Compaq, a Dell, and an HP, each lasted maybe a year and a half to two years for the amount that I, with lots of software and hardware problems during their lifespans. Christmas 2010, I get a Macbook Pro, and in the year that I've had this computer, I have had ZERO problems. Now Im a music major at Morehead State, and for what the things I do here that require a computer, I wouldn't trade my Macbook for any other laptop in the world.
Travis Hall
Facebook

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm

iLikezdasnurr wrote:throughout high school, I went through 3 different laptops, a Compaq, a Dell, and an HP, each lasted maybe a year and a half to two years for the amount that I, with lots of software and hardware problems during their lifespans. Christmas 2010, I get a Macbook Pro, and in the year that I've had this computer, I have had ZERO problems. Now Im a music major at Morehead State, and for what the things I do here that require a computer, I wouldn't trade my Macbook for any other laptop in the world.
Sounds more like a PEBKAC to me rather than a computer problem. I've had multiple laptops and desktop computers (both manufactured and home-built) last way more than two years with no problems, including my current laptop. The biggest problem I run into with PC is that hardware becomes obsolete after about 5 years and has the be upgraded or replaced then. Having owned a Macbook before they had really gained much popularity, Macs run into this problem too. And they're a lot more expensive to replace.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

i_like_turtles

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 pm

knight427 wrote:
i_like_turtles wrote:Get an Asus. They're great
Asus has become popular among engineers who don't need professional graphics cards. They make pretty good computers, but I find their keyboards are usually pretty bad (very bouncy, especially near the number pad). Still, I'd prefer an Asus over a consumer Dell or consumer HP.
The only thing bad I find about the computer is the sound and the fact that the keyboard doesn't light up. If you're not using headphones, it's very quiet. Also tough to see at night in the dark.

gnarwall Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 am

I skipped the laptop and got a refurb 27" iMac. The screen real-estate is awesome, and I mostly use it for photo work. It can handle processing a few hundred RAW files at once with no major problems. IMO A laptop is a huge distraction in class, I would much rather just have a pad and pen. (plus I didn't need to limit myself to a 15" screen.)

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

gnarwall wrote:I skipped the laptop and got a refurb 27" iMac. The screen real-estate is awesome, and I mostly use it for photo work. It can handle processing a few hundred RAW files at once with no major problems. IMO A laptop is a huge distraction in class, I would much rather just have a pad and pen. (plus I didn't need to limit myself to a 15" screen.)
2560x1440 IPS screen. <drool>

knight427 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 am

OK kids. If you are ready to buy your college laptop, and you meet some of the following criteria, this is a great day for you.

-Do you want a gaming laptop that doesn't have glowing alien heads?
-Are you planning on an engineering, architecture or graphics design major?
-Do you want a laptop that allows you easy access to upgrade HDD/RAM and very advanced users can even upgrade the CPU and GPU?
-Do you want a laptop with a 3 year on-site warranty? (they come to you to fix it)
-Are you wiling to lug a 17" laptop around?

If that sounds interesting to you, consider a Dell M6600 precision Mobile Workstation from their Business Outlet. They have 15% off (code: LP$KJ9J28BV5CG). Get one with the Firepro M8900 GPU, it is the best for gaming despite being the lowest cost option. If you know what CUDA is, and know your programs use it. then of course you should go for the 4000M. You can also use the same code on the 15" M4600, but you will get much higher performance from the GPUs in the 17" class. Prices start around $725 and max out around $1400 (after discount).

Keep in mind these are Sandy Bridge models. Ivy Bridge will be released very very soon. But the Ivy Bridge mobile workstations are still many months away and their starting price will be around $1900.

EDIT: also there are several options with XM cpus. This was a $1,000+ upgrade when ordered new