discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

CheeseDiddleEgg5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Left hand traditional issue

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 am

Hey everybody! (Hi, Doctor Nick!)

I need some help. I've been playing traditional grip for years, but one issue that I've always had difficulty with is this: When I play left-hand-lead paraddidle-diddles, I struggle to get those unaccented diddles to a low height from a forte or higher accent. When I lead with my right hand, it's no problem. And when I play left-hand-lead with matched grip, it's also not an issue. It's something with my traditional grip technique. Here's a video to show you what I mean: https://youtu.be/vLzZiJ6ikiI

Anybody got any advice or practice suggestions? Thanks!!!
Don't read this.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Left hand traditional issue

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

I think everybody who's right handed has a bad time playing left hand paradiddle-diddles (I suck at it too). I think it's a chops thing – just like it takes a certain amount of strength to play accent-tap stuff quickly. Younger players I see have the same issue in their right hand because they haven't developed the dexterity yet – meanwhile everyone can play right handed paradiddle-diddles just fine because they're written in our music all the time. Left hand ones aren't.

Keeping the left hand closed, using the top fingers to stop the stick, all that.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Its your finger gap and pressure, you let the gap between your ring finger and the stick open up too much on the accent and that makes you lose control, it will feel weirder, but keep that gap tight and use the middle finger for controlling the rebound.
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

CheeseDiddleEgg5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 pm

The_Drumline_Life wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm
Its your finger gap and pressure, you let the gap between your ring finger and the stick open up too much on the accent and that makes you lose control, it will feel weirder, but keep that gap tight and use the middle finger for controlling the rebound.
Thanks!!
Don't read this.