Need help on how to get even ("machine gun") diddles

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

dirtmachine Offline
noob
noob

Need help on how to get even ("machine gun") diddles

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Hello! I'm a 15 year old snare player (sophomore) and this year completed my second marching season (first season on snare, I was a bass the previous year), and I'm struggling to maintain even diddles. They aren't crushed, when I play with my center/instructor it sounds clean, but the first diddle is louder than the second and I don't know how to fix that. Is there something wrong with my technique? How can I fix them so they sound even?

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Need help on how to get even ("machine gun") diddles

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:06 am

For something like that you really can't beat the age-old technique of "start out slow as all hell and clean it, then slowly increase tempo". Start out playing a super slow, continuous roll, and make sure that every aspect is perfect, whether it's diddle spacing, hand to hand timing, hand to hand volume, whatever. Then, increase by a few BPM (single digits, preferably >5 depending on how patient you are) and do it all again. This way, not only do you clean it, you make it second nature, and you clean it with all 3 roll techniques.
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich