traditional is all wrist

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

kiwi12 Offline
noob
noob

traditional is all wrist

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 am

when I play with trad grip, my left hand only moves from wrist rotation, no fingers. Is this wrong? kids at my school say my traditional sucks. All of the articles and videos on traditional seem pretty vague, if you have a good one please link it. Thank you!

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: traditional is all wrist

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 am

It's primarily wrist turn, yes. You'll use some pressure from the top fingers (thumb+index, maybe middle depending on who's teaching you) to make rolls/doubles/triple strokes happen, and add some weight to your sound. When you play faster singles, you are going to switch to smaller muscle groups to save energy (because wrist turn simply can't go that fast), and that's when you'll start using fingers.

When you're playing rolls, it's typical to use some arm pump rather than stroke it all out from the wrist, although it's good to aim for wrist turn as the primary motivator. Same thing as right hand. For some examples of arm pump, watch Glassmen and sometimes Rennick lines (SCV, Boston 2016 and earlier, Troopers). For wrist turn, well, I can't find a good example because nobody ever uses *just* wrist turn for rolls anymore. It's unnatural. I think it's good to *aim* for wrist turn, however, because it'll give you more control over your heights and when used in conjunction with arm, you can get a nice heavy sound.

Again, this all depends on who's teaching you and what they want.
kiwi12 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 am
kids at my school say my traditional sucks.
Yeah, they're right.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18