The Dreaded Right Slice

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

luke_baum0 Offline
noob
noob

The Dreaded Right Slice

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I apologize in advance for the novel, but I felt I should throughly explain the situation so I can get the best feedback possible. Thanks in advance.

I know this is an issue that has probably been brought up in here many, many times, but I'd like to get some specific feedback because currently I haven't really been able to solve my issue. Basically, when my diddles reach a relatively fast speed, my right hand slices inward and I believe it's bringing up issues with my right diddle sound quality. It starts to sound lighter than my left, especially at the low end. The past couple days I've set up in front of a mirror and had my right stick pointing directly to it so I can see the slice clearly. From what I've gathered so far, it starts to come in when the wrist:arm ratio begins to lean to the arm side. As soon as the rolls need that arm pump to keep going, my right slices inward and the faster it gets the more extreme it is. Very frustrating because it's an eyesore and I'd like to even out my sound quality on rolls. Oddly enough, my forearm and hand aren't rotating inward at all to create the slice, I'm staying in a completely standard American grip, so I think the issue just may be the lever motion in the elbow. Instead of pushing straight down I just naturally kinda have a "windshield wiper" motion going on. I guess an extreme example to give perspective would be a DJ scratching a record with their right hand haha. No matter how hard I focus on it I CAN'T seem to get it straight up and down when my rolls get fast. I've been playing slow duple rolls with no issues and then trying to switch immediately to triplet rolls with the same motion but as soon as I make the switch the slice comes back and it just gets frustrating.

Any wisdom from some seasoned players, maybe even people who have overcome a similar issue? Thanks so much for any advice! If anyone responds and asks I can try to get up an example video as soon as I can if it is needed.
Center Grove Snareline '15-'17

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Dreaded Right Slice

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Can you post a video so we can see finger / hand / wrist / arm positions? Without seeing video, I'd guess you just need to keep your right palm facing a bit more downwards than you typically might in an American grip, at least when you hit those fast rolls that require a bit of forearm 'pump'.

It could also be an issue with how the stick sits in your right hand, relative to the fingers, and how you are applying pressure with your fingers against the stick.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

luke_baum0 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:46 pm

It's really weird; I've tried to flatten out my right hand to a more German grip when I play the quicker rolls but when doing so it still slices.

I'll get on a drum and post a good video as soon as I can. Probably tomorrow before indoor rehearsal; I'll stop in early to get some drum time and take a vid. Thanks so much for the quick response!
Center Grove Snareline '15-'17

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: The Dreaded Right Slice

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 am

luke_baum0 wrote:From what I've gathered so far, it starts to come in when the wrist:arm ratio begins to lean to the arm side. As soon as the rolls need that arm pump to keep going, my right slices inward and the faster it gets the more extreme it is....

...I'm staying in a completely standard American grip, so I think the issue just may be the lever motion in the elbow.
Post a vid... I'm interested to see the drum height.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Re:

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:04 am

luke_baum0 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:46 pm
I'll get on a drum and post a good video as soon as I can. Probably tomorrow before indoor rehearsal; I'll stop in early to get some drum time and take a vid. Thanks so much for the quick response!
Where's that video at?
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich