Playing over the guts vs playing on the edge

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Bodhi Offline
noob
noob

Playing over the guts vs playing on the edge

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:37 pm

I've been noticing a stylistic change over the last decade in regards to playing at softer dynamics on the snare drum, and the one thing I've noticed is a lot of groups now tend to play a lot of their quieter passages on the snare guts, more specifically, playing on the edge at "2 o'clock" since that's where the guts lead under the head. These groups include a lot of popular corps including Bluecoats, Blue Knights, and a lot of other corps as well (not to mention the indoor groups and new groups that tend to do this as well).

Can I get some opinions and reasons as to why they're doing this now? What's the overall goal in doing this? Do you prefer it instead of playing quieter in the center of the drumhead?

Conversely, some groups who refuse to adopt this change continue to play at the edge, or rather, "12 o'clock" of the drumhead, and I'm also curious about this style as well. The only notable group that seems to be doing this is Blue Devils, but I can't remember what other corps are doing this as well.

The same questions above apply to this as well: opinions on it / overall goal / preference in doing this vs guts vs center of the head.

Thanks, everyone!

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Playing over the guts vs playing on the edge

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Its just a different sound. Some people prefer a little bit wetter sound at the edge (snare bed), and others want a thinner sound (front edge). Honestly, the guys I talk to generally don't consider it just a "softer dynamics" zone anymore. Groups like Rhythm X play all over the head, with several distinct zones. I personally use both snare bed and front edge in my own writing. Which edge I write depends on the phrase I'm writing and what color I hear in my head.