Index finger pain?

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Jape Offline
noob
noob

Index finger pain?

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:56 pm

I've recently begun to notice some pain in the first knuckle of my index finger (first knuckle down from the nail), so far it hasn't been massivley painful but it has been noticible enough to get me to stop practicing a couple times. Is this common and should I be worried?

snarescience Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Index finger pain?

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Right or left hand (traditional)? If this is in the right hand, it is a fairly common pain that was called "flam finger" back in my day. Not really sure how to avoid it. It sounds like you are taking the correct step of backing off a bit when it gets worse. You might also try icing it for ~10 minutes at a time, as it is likely inflamed tissues from damage / overuse and ice will help lower the inflammation.
Ryan Wold
MBI Snare '98-'99,'01-'02,'05-'06,'10
MBI Snare Tech '04

Scouts Snare '00
Siamyth Snare Tech '08
MN Vikings "Skol Line" '09

Jape Offline
noob
noob

Re: Index finger pain?

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:09 pm

This was in my right hand. Its subsided, it comes up every now and then but its no where near as bad as when I posted. I think it was because I was using my index finger alone to produce my accented diddles as opposed to my fingers/fulcrum and the tissues became inflamed like you mentioned, but now that I've corrected it it seems to be doing better. Thank you, ill be sure to try that next time it comes up.