Turning the wrist.

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

PICO Offline
noob
noob

Turning the wrist.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:34 am

My winterline tech broke down our technique for the season. When it came to the left hand, he started us out with placing the butt end of the stick in the meaty part of skin between the index and thumb. We laid our hands out palm up to the drum and he had us play eights for a long time with just the back fulcrum. Now I'm from the east coast, meaning that our fingers stay curved on top of the stick. I was turning my wrist and the second he had us add our index finger, I had an incredibly hard time maintain the strong wrist motion from before. I knew I used alot of arm but not to what degree. Should including both fulcrums feel the same when playing legatos?

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Turning the wrist.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:23 am

PICO wrote:My winterline tech broke down our technique for the season. When it came to the left hand, he started us out with placing the butt end of the stick in the meaty part of skin between the index and thumb. We laid our hands out palm up to the drum and he had us play eights for a long time with just the back fulcrum. Now I'm from the east coast, meaning that our fingers stay curved on top of the stick. I was turning my wrist and the second he had us add our index finger, I had an incredibly hard time maintain the strong wrist motion from before. I knew I used alot of arm but not to what degree. Should including both fulcrums feel the same when playing legatos?

Fingers on the stick isn't an east coast thing. He's making you do that to teach you how the rotation works. Yes, the idea is that the rotation should feel the same regardless of how many fingers you have on the stick. I'll bet, if you watched your wrist in the mirror, and not the stick, you'd see the same amount of rotation in the wrist with and without the fingers. The difference is that when you put the fingers back on the stick, the range of motion in the stick all of a sudden had to match the range of motion in the wrist. I would guess (having not seen you play) that you don't have the extension necessary to rotate and rebound that freely. That's something that will come with time if you continue to work on it.