Can traditional be done in different ways?

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

chellelee75 Offline
noob
noob

Can traditional be done in different ways?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:22 am

I'm a freshmen in high school. In our line, I was told that my traditional is done wrong. I since changed it, but while looking at the Cavies audition book, their traditional grip is exactly like my old one! Is it possible to have different traditional grips like how matched does?

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Can traditional be done in different ways?

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:50 am

chellelee75 wrote:I'm a freshmen in high school. In our line, I was told that my traditional is done wrong. I since changed it, but while looking at the Cavies audition book, their traditional grip is exactly like my old one! Is it possible to have different traditional grips like how matched does?
There is no one way to drum. That's a pretty solid rule to live by.

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Can traditional be done in different ways?

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Agree with joe356, but...

There is a lot of unstated info in the OP. There is a big difference between "different" and what I would call "flat out wrong".

I don't know you, so I can't judge... but I do know high schoolers, so I CAN speculate (and I will). As a hs freshman, I speculate that you may be going through the growing pains of learning the grip (it will take years to master). I will further speculate that you are getting challenged by others to
improve.

Who-ever told you your traditional grip was "wrong" should be prepared to explain why and also give instruction on what is "right". For the purposes of theory... yes there are many ways to perform the grip, and in fact since everyone has different hands, the nuances of the grip will be a little different for each person. But in practice... the "right" way is that which follows the principles you are being taught on your drumline.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.