Ring and pinky finger in relation to traditional

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Grauben Offline
noob
noob

Ring and pinky finger in relation to traditional

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:06 am

So recently I was told to try to keep the ring and pinky fingers on the stick at all times when playing traditional. As a habit, typically when playing at some faster I realize those two fingers tend to come off. What would be the best approach to enhance speed and sound quality?

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Ring and pinky finger in relation to traditional

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Grauben wrote:So recently I was told to try to keep the ring and pinky fingers on the stick at all times when playing traditional.
I've never heard that before. That doesn't make any sense... they're supposed to be allowed to come off just a bit to allow the stick to move. I mean, they're not supposed to come flying off whenever the stick moves. Granted, gently keeping them on can give more control when you're using wrist at low levels, but 100% of the time is impractical
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

SolidSnake1162 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Ring and pinky finger in relation to traditional

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

That's based on a lot of things. One way to think of it is, "Your bottom fingers only leave the stick because the stick is leaving those fingers, not because the fingers are leaving the stick," if that makes sense. So, if you're going to be playing some faster stuff where the stick needs to move more/move faster, the stick is probably going to leave your bottom fingers. However, if you're going to be playing Eights at say...112bpm at no higher than forte, yeah, you probably do wanna keep your fingers there, as there's really no reason why they should leave. But I have no preference, I let my fingers pull back whenever they naturally do depending on what I'm playing. Obviously, you very much need those bottom fingers to help catch the stick down if you're doing down strokes in an accent pattern or whatever. Lots of rambling, sorry. Hope this helps.
Kaitou wrote:TAKE ME TO DIDDLEVILLE LEE CLARY

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:25 am

The DVD by Mike McIntosh briefly addresses this issue.(Dynamic Music in the Mix).
He focuses on sound quality during his explanation. Achieving the same sound with right vs left is the issue when allowing the 4th and 5th fingers to come off the stick according to Mike. That being said, he does not say that he believes you should always keep the fingers in place, just at slower tempos.

Watch the best of the best as they perform more difficult material. There's no way to keep the 4th and 5th fingers in contact with the stick unless you use a roll of duct tape!
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer