Performance Anxiety and Tension

discuss snare drumming technique

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

nivramrelyt Offline
noob
noob

Performance Anxiety and Tension

Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of how to get rid of tension in the weak hand during stressful/non-stressful situations.

I tend to get really nervous for performances and it becomes utterly impossible to remain relaxed. My whole left arm/hand freezes up and shakes and it literally becomes impossible to do anything that requires remotely any control of stick heights. I'm not going to say my technique is perfect in the practice room. There certainly is a bit of tension when I play certain things, only it exists on a MUCH smaller scale and it is easier for me to relax in this situation. I can honestly say my arm doesn't freeze or anything, though.

I guess I'd just really like to see if anyone has any advice regarding obtaining more muscular relaxation and control. I tend to tense up more during very soft passages and if it's in a performance setting, forget about it. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Performance Anxiety and Tension

Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 am

I was actually just reading a blog post about this the other day. Its mostly about the mental side of dealing with performance anxiety, but that's the first step.

http://williamjamespercussion.com/2015/ ... auditions/

CoolInDenial Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Performance Anxiety and Tension

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:13 pm

I used to do the same thing. It was awful for auditions; I cried more than a few times and I nearly passed out once. It was slightly less horrible for performances/competitions. But either way, I couldn't play *beep*.

It didn't really get better for me until my senior year of high school. I was drum major and battery section leader and one day I just sort of realized "hey, what am I scared for? I know what I'm doing."

So then I just sort of ran with that attitude and it helped build my confidence way up over the course of about a year and I can say I wasn't scared for my college audition :) Nervous, a little, but not scared :D
SMAHS
2010-13: pit
2013-15: snare

PSU
2015: Cymbals