It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: An Old style
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 pm 
playin' eights
playin' eights

So at the University I play at, I've been getting lessons on technique from an ex-cavies member from back in the 80s. He's been having me play with the same technique used back then, is there any disadvantage to playing this way if I tried out for a DCA line this summer? Like would my technique be changed considerably for the lines?

Right now I'm play with a lot of wrist (Relaxed arms and fingers, tighter wrist), while always keeping my fingers on the stick, as well as playing at the last possible moment.

Post subject: Re: An Old style
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:30 pm 
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

No matter where you go (DCI, DCA, WGI), you're always going to be asked to change your technique to something else than what you're used to playing with. The key to being a good auditionee is knowing how to switch your technique when asked to on the fly.

So, while the technique itself perhaps may be a little antiquated, its not going to harm you practicing in that specific technique until you know for sure what the staff is going to ask of you.

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:56 am 
flam dragger
flam dragger

KidsMeal wrote:
So at the University I play at, I've been getting lessons on technique from an ex-cavies member from back in the 80s. He's been having me play with the same technique used back then, is there any disadvantage to playing this way if I tried out for a DCA line this summer? Like would my technique be changed considerably for the lines?

Right now I'm play with a lot of wrist (Relaxed arms and fingers, tighter wrist), while always keeping my fingers on the stick, as well as playing at the last possible moment.

This is actually a great foundation. it's always easy to adjust techniques once you have wrist turn in place. The other way around is much, much harder.

Thanks to FutureBDCenter for making such an awesome badge. Doing it the way only a DCI WORLD CHAMPION could do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 am 
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

This is something I've actually been experimenting with. I bought Gusseck's "Salutations" to basically attempt to train myself to learn different techniques with as little transition time as possible. Interesting concept in my opinion.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:24 pm 
ramming notes
ramming notes

duderonomy wrote:
KidsMeal wrote:

This is actually a great foundation. it's always easy to adjust techniques once you have wrist turn in place. The other way around is much, much harder.

Definitely. I haven't learned from TOO many schools of thought in the drumming world, but all the technique's I've been exposed to start with a solid wrist turn. What goes on after that may vary, but there's nothing wrong with learning to crank the wrists!

If anything, I'd say to be prepared to loosen up the arms and get those a little bit more involved in the stroke. That seems to be one of the bigger differences between "old school" drummers that I've seen and more modern techniques.